DIY Stand - Door Options

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so im about to build my 48x18 stand for 75 gallon tank...

i plan on using rocketengineers plans using 2x4's, however i would like to have full overlay doors 2 doors that are 24 3/4 wide each (to cover the 3/4" plywood on the sides of stand), so basically the front of the cabinet just looks like 2 doors. (similar look to a waterbox below). do they make hinges that will allowed to be mounted on a 3.5" wide frame?

1632500444577.png

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i just put the 3/4 plywood on sides of the tank first, and have the plywood stick out past the front frame of the cabinet by 7/8" or so, and then screw the hinges to that ? then just get typical 3/4" overlay cabinet door hinges?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to use hinges but have since abandon them because of the repainting or replacing because of rust. I now use magnets.....neo magnets (neodymium). I use 12 mm magnets N52 and, using a 1/2" forstner bit, drill holes in the door frame and stand so that they are aligned. The holes are a hair deeper than the magnet height. Using epoxy, the magnets are installed in the holes, assuring polarity is correct. Here's a stand I'm building where you can see the circular spots in the stand body (that align will holes in the door frame. The strength of the magnets hold the door in place.....in this case, four points (8 magnets)

1632503461656.png

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to use hinges but have since abandon them because of the repainting or replacing because of rust. I now use magnets.....neo magnets (neodymium). I use 12 mm magnets N52 and, using a 1/2" forstner bit, drill holes in the door frame and stand so that they are aligned. The holes are a hair deeper than the magnet height. Using epoxy, the magnets are installed in the holes, assuring polarity is correct. Here's a stand I'm building where you can see the circular spots in the stand body (that align will holes in the door frame. The strength of the magnets hold the door in place.....in this case, four points (8 magnets)

1632503461656.png
Could you provide me with the link to where you purchase your magnets. I think I’m going to go this route

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

how do you plan on opening the doors?

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert on cabinet hinges. I don't think they make your traditional hinges that aren't mounted to 3/4 plywood unless you go with one of these

I honestly don't like stands made of 2x4, I think its way overkill. 2x4 stands take advantage of their strength and cost. However with todays cost on 2x4... I just don't think its needed

I would build out of plywood. The aquarium should sit on vertical panels of plywood. Two reasons for this. Aesthetically, it looks a lot better than you placing a plywood sheet on top of the vertical panels. Number two, the weight of the aquarium is on the vertical panels some on the center.

Reinforce the sides with additional plywood to prevent warping. To prevent the warping/sagging of the top of your stand, you can reinforce with a piece of hardwood like beech or if you have the tools, a c channel.

If you don't mind, a center brace on the front of the stand.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest magnets as well. My go-to is www.kjmagnetics.com I use the 3/4 diameter/3/8 thick with ~12lb pull. They have both regualr and plastic coated. The plastic caoted ones are perfect for in-tank use (frag racks). I'd probably use three across the top for each door and put a small cleat at the bottom so the door can rest on the bottom frame. The cleat makes aligning them super easy.

hth!

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest magnets as well. My go-to is www.kjmagnetics.com I use the 3/4 diameter/3/8 thick with ~12lb pull. They have both regualr and plastic coated. The plastic caoted ones are perfect for in-tank use (frag racks). I'd probably use three across the top for each door and put a small cleat at the bottom so the door can rest on the bottom frame. The cleat makes aligning them super easy.

hth!
i wanted to use a solid wood door with no design or bevel or anything you can get your hands on to pull off the door. if this was magnetic
The finished product with magnetic panels.
wow this is really nice, exacly the finished look im going for. what paint did you use for yours?

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wanted to use a solid wood door with no design or bevel or anything you can get your hands on to pull off the door. if this was magnetic

wow this is really nice, exacly the finished look im going for. what paint did you use for yours?
I originally used dupli-color automotive paints. It worked well and the stuff sprays out really smooth. Great finish but I went through a lot of cans for my stand. The stuff was just too expensive (primer and paint). What you see in the final result pics are actually finished with Krylon Fusion. Great all in one paint, lays out well, and it's cheap lol. I layed down 4-5 coats and "wet" sanded each coat with 600 grit automotive sand paper. I let the final coat cure for 7 days, then wet sanded with 1000 grit then I polished out with automotive cutting compound. Worked like a charm.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put screws into the edges of plywood by using dowels. I use the Fluted ones available at most hardware stores. Drill holes to match the dowels, apply an exterior glue to the dowels and tap them into place. Tip; mount the hinges first to the plywood end, to check the fit, and placement. Remove doors and hinges, use the screw holes as pilot holes.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you provide me with the link to where you purchase your magnets. I think I’m going to go this route

I'm not sure if this is the actual vendor, but it was from eBay some time ago.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you plan on opening the doors?

Simply pull it off. The picture above is with the door pulled off. Here it is with the door in place....unpainted, still being built.

1632929490123.png

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The finished product with magnetic panels.
Wow beautiful finish. I’m trying to do my own stand for my brand new wb6025. But I’d like to have that nice finish? Any pointers on best stand design let alone procedure for that result ? Wow

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
OP can you describe how you painted this?

I have magnet doors just like yours but i used the rustic panels from home depot.

I like the glossy look you did. Resembles Red Sea.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasn't anyone used pocket hinges?

This is what I used on my stand doors, although I got them from a boat hardware supplier as I wanted stainless steel so they didn't rust.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back