DIY stand question

NOLA_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my stand supporting my 150g cube is very solid but i have a question before i get the tank wet. the stand is topped by 1" plywood over the entire top and the tank sits on top of that. should the edges of the tank still sit directly over a 2x4 for frame/stand stability even though the entire bottom trim of the tank is supported by the plywood?

Last edited:

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short yes - especially if your tank is glass and has a frame on the bottom where the tank sits on the edges of the vertical glass panes. If you have an acrylic tank with the bottom pane flush with the bottom plywood, you have a little more wiggle room...

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I follow the question. Is the tank slightly smaller than the stand? You're worried about the tank sitting in the middle of some unsupported plywood? If so, it would depend on how much of a difference in size there is. 1" plywood (really?) would be very strong - if the edge of the tank was within an inch or so of the edge I wouldn't be too worried.
Post some pictures tho - really need to see it to fully understand.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No piece of plywood is going to be able to support 150g without bowing.

Should edit to add that if you have cross bracing on the top frame you might be able to get away with it.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No piece of plywood is going to be able to support 150g without bowing.

Should edit to add that if you have cross bracing on the top frame you might be able to get away with it.

Yeah, need pics. If we're talking just a little inside the 2x4 frame and there is cross bracing in the span then ok but... need pics & dimensions.

OP
OP
NOLA_Reefer

NOLA_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry. There's a ton of cross bracing. The top of the stand is 36x36 and there are 4 2x4s as bracing. It's definitely not unsupported plywood, I should've made that clearer. Everything is pocket holed and wood glued. It's barely inside the outer frame of the top of the stand, so im pretty sure it'll be fine but it's a 150g cube and my house is 6ft off the ground so I'm being extra cautious about everything.

OP
OP
NOLA_Reefer

NOLA_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F6B8CE7D-F6D1-4B30-B3B6-6574524092E5.jpeg

Still a little bit of trim work and need to build the canopy but it's basically ready to be plumbed.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I think you're fine. Funny thing - I have a small 20G cube that's currently in storage. Recently I was looking at a corner of the house and thinking it could fit in there well, with two sides viewable just like yours.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back