DIY Stand

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I built a stand for a cube, I would do a oversized cabinet too, but with a 10-12" side counter and offset the tank. I see a lot of cubes here with packed cabinets and it drives me nuts. I would use some type of solid surface top, ether granit or smoked glass. The carcass would be 3/4" plywood in oak, maple or cherry and I would use biscuits and pocket hole joinery and 1" by-pine or scrap-3/4" to reinforce where needed and probably order nice doors from lowes

Check out my old cube :) 24" x 24" tank, sitting on a 36" square stand. 3x3" solid poplar corners, 3/4" poplar ply, dado joinery, glued and clamped, in matte black. I had a daughter finish the 'shelf' around that system with a mosaic tile design. Stand could have doubled as a stool for an elephant.

FTS030117.jpg

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my old cube :) 24" x 24" tank, sitting on a 36" square stand. 3x3" solid poplar corners, 3/4" poplar ply, dado joinery, glued and clamped, in matte black. I had a daughter finish the 'shelf' around that system with a mosaic tile design. Stand could have doubled as a stool for an elephant.

FTS030117.jpg
Nice!

My tank sits in a corner. I’m thinking about putting it somewhere else but that’s where it has been. I’m a stickler for symmetry so an offset counter wouldn’t work but a full border like that is what I’d like. Gives me a place to set something down.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank sits in a corner. I’m thinking about putting it somewhere else but that’s where it has been. I’m a stickler for symmetry so an offset counter wouldn’t work but a full border like that is what I’d like. Gives me a place to set something down.

Nothing asymmetrical about a corner stand with a ledge on two sides...

I had a thread on RC at one time entitled 'A place to rest my beverage' :) I got rid of that cube some time back, but my new peninsula has an even wider shelf around the perimeter.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes @Greybeard I have read your build and I envy your useable counter/bar space. The reason I would offset is to allow my wife to place some FISH (her definition of Reef) related decorea and soften the presence of the glass box in the room and......for me to use when needed:D

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing asymmetrical about a corner stand with a ledge on two sides...

I had a thread on RC at one time entitled 'A place to rest my beverage' :) I got rid of that cube some time back, but my new peninsula has an even wider shelf arout the perimeter.
Absolutely right! I’m updating my drawing. I think I found a new issue though regarding my light mount... to be continued!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas here. I like the armpit mesure that @Greybeard uses. Built a few stands and did not ever think about this practice.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first system I've ever suspended the lights from the ceiling on... and I really, really like it. Totally out of the way.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first system I've ever suspended the lights from the ceiling on... and I really, really like it. Totally out of the way.
Could be an option... I really like my light mount though.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes @Greybeard I have read your build and I envy your useable counter/bar space. The reason I would offset is to allow my wife to place some FISH (her definition of Reef) related decorea and soften the presence of the glass box in the room and......for me to use when needed:D

Yeah, I have a carved, painted (freshwater) angelfish, and two abstract metal 'fish' wall hangings as decor, both were my wife's donations to the cause. The coral and fish painted on the shelf, however, were my idea, even if not my artwork... I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, my daughter Kaitlyn is the artist, on both the new peninsula stand, and the mosaic tile on my old cube stand. My artistic additions were in the design of the system itself, and the 1" tall brass model of the antique diving helmet I keep on the shelf :)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be an option... I really like my light mount though.

Depends on the implementation... I had an arm mount on my cube that worked out very well. To hang a 48 x 24" T5 unit, without having some support on the viewable end of the peninsula, would have required a welded steel boom lag bolted to the wall :) Ceiling mount solved the problem nicely. I actually positioned the aquarium with this in mind, aligning the ceterline with the edge of one of the box beams on my vaulted ceiling, specifically to be able to easily hang the light.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the concept drawing with the door design. I like it! Hope the wife does too. :) What is nice about this in addition to the design is that it gives space for air to flow through the sump area and relieve some of the humidity.

front.png

Now here's the problem.... My light mount is designed to sit flush to the back of the tank and center my light over the tank. Best base is I can get it to be a few inches back from the center. That's gonna drive my OCD nuts!

side.png

View from the top. The light gray is the shelf, light blue is the tank, dark blue is the light, black is the light mount. The dark blue line in the white opening is the frame of the stand. The stuff in gray and red is my drain and overflow.

top.png

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 80/20 diy light bracket in the works
edit : I have been wanting to try this with the flat alum (not 4-side) and have a slim mount
s-l1600.jpg

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the concept drawing with the door design. I like it! Hope the wife does too. :) What is nice about this in addition to the design is that it gives space for air to flow through the sump area and relieve some of the humidity.

front.png

Now here's the problem.... My light mount is designed to sit flush to the back of the tank and center my light over the tank. Best base is I can get it to be a few inches back from the center. That's gonna drive my OCD nuts!

side.png

View from the top. The light gray is the shelf, light blue is the tank, dark blue is the light, black is the light mount. The dark blue line in the white opening is the frame of the stand. The stuff in gray and red is my drain and overflow.

top.png
I like it, has air flow for the sump!!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

80/20 is some cool stuff. I have seen some nice stands left open using 80/20:)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Widen the base a bit more, and put the attachment point on the inside of the frame :)

On my old cube, I had an external return. Mounted a bulkhead in the 'shelf' for the return to pass through, though it wasn't under water. Wonder if you could do the same... drill for a bulkhead, and ream out a bulkhead so that the mount pole would pass through it unobstructed, but tight enough to make it look right.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

front.png

side.png

top.png
You must be an Architectural Engineer

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Widen the base a bit more, and put the attachment point on the inside of the frame :)

On my old cube, I had an external return. Mounted a bulkhead in the 'shelf' for the return to pass through, though it wasn't under water. Wonder if you could do the same... drill for a bulkhead, and ream out a bulkhead so that the mount pole would pass through it unobstructed, but tight enough to make it look right.
Wider? I have it on the inside now and it will be off by about 3”. I guess that’s not terrible.

You must be an Architectural Engineer
Haha. Nope. Electrical undergrad and mechanical grad. :)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit : I have been wanting to try this with the flat alum (not 4-side) and have a slim mount
s-l1600.jpg
That’s what my mount is. The flat 80/20. The guys that made it don’t produce them anymore :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back