Diy sump

block134

Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get some advice from the experts here on some ideas for a sump design for my tank.

Right now I am trying to design a dump and have a few questions.

What I am thinking is a 5 chamber sump. It would have the following chambers.

1. Inlet/dirty water with filter material of some sort
2. Protein Skimmer
3. Fuge
4. Return pump
5. Top off water with ATO

For the questions.

1. What I am wondering is what size tank might be good for this? I dont have the dimensions of my skimmer but I think a 40 gallon would maybe work. Would a 55 gallon be better?

2. Does the clean water from the skimmer go back into the skimmer chamber or should I plumb it to go to the fuge chamber?

3. Would a fuge chamber be a good idea in the sump or would it work better in a separate tank?

4. Is filter media a good idea with a protein skimmer or is the skimmer good enough on its own?

5. If I add rock to a chamber which would be the best?

6. Should I have a place for algae as will or will th fuge be the place for that?

Brian

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @block134. Just wanted to share some thoughts that I can up with.

1. What size tank is your display going to be?

2. Are you going to be using an internal or external skimmer? If its internal the water that has been skimmed will exit in the skimmer chamber.

3. I myself would setup a fuge in a separate tank.

4. Filter Media is good to use with a skimmer. what you use exactly will depend on what you are planning on keeping in the display and such although some kind of filter floss that can easily replaced is key.

5. I would keep the rock in the display myself. Added rock in the sump will trap detritus and such.

6. The fuge will be where you keep your algae at unless you decide to use a reactor instead of a fuge and there is also the option of the Algae scrubber.

7. I also would not have the ATO water made into the sump. Its just wasted space IMO when added to the sump build. I would rather have that space for my sump water and use a different container that matches for my ATO water. That way you are not limited on height and width restrictions.

OP
OP
B

block134

Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What size tank is your display going to be?

Sorry for fotgot to add the display size. It will be a 120 gallon.

2. Are you going to be using an internal or external skimmer? If its internal the water that has been skimmed will exit in the skimmer chamber.

For the skimmer it is an internal that I got used with the display tank.

5. I would keep the rock in the display myself. Added rock in the sump will trap detritus and such.

Here is some clarification on what I should have said in regards to the rocks. I was planning on some sort of material like bio balls or lava rock for the bacteria and stuff to grow on. It does make sense about it trapping stuff though. I do have that problem in my fresh water tank.

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing skimmer, a spot for carbon, fuge then return pump. I like the fuge after so I don’t get micro bubbles in my tank. I did a 20 long and a 30 long. The 30 is drilled for a float valve and external pump and the 20 is drilled to overflow into the 30 drilling is a lot easier than it seems.

You will want as much room as possible for your fuge and leave room for expansion of your skimmer or reactors or pump. Also leave enough room for water coming down from your tank in your pump section.

I would put the filter sock in with the skimmer. Just keep it away from the intake of the skimmer. That way you have a bigger chamber. I wouldn’t run a sock all the time. Just when the water is cloudy or there is a bunch of stuff in it. And pull it out right away so you don’t get it decomposing. Your skimmer should do great most of the time.

5CA8BA1A-E057-4786-9434-0DB98217027C.jpeg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sumps are a great place to put heaters and probes. keep that in mind in your design.

I have a CPR HOB for my macro, while I fabricated basket for rubble rock in my DIY under the tank sump. That's just me, lots of folk do very well with the fuge in one sump.

I have a media reactor next to the sump with activated carbon (and I can add gfo if necessary). I wouldn't run a tank without activated carbon, primarily as insurance. Never know when a nem takes a fast turn for the worse and starts releasing its toxins.

I repurposed a tall night stand to put all the plugs, wires apex, and ATO next to the tank for easier access. There is not much room under a tank and a cabinet makes it a whole lot easier to unplug a piece of equipment to do maintenance and lets me use a larger container for top off water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back