DIY Tank Cabinet - Frame Feedback

Ric878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice on a custom tank cabinet. Long story short, the used tank and cabinet I purchased are not going to work for my setup. The sump is to tall and once installed will be extremely difficult to maintain.

So, rather than purchase a new sump, I figured I could build a new cabinet. My primary goal of course is to fit the equipment I have and make accessing said equipment easy. What I need is some feedback on the frame I created in SketchUp. Here are the details of my setup:

90 Gallon Tank. I figure it will weigh roughly 1000-1200 pounds with water and rock
The frame is pretty basic (see image). In order to ensure it would support the weight, I have two braces in each corner as well as two braces along the back. My understanding is that each brace has a load capacity of about 800-1000 pounds. That said, I don't have any vertical braces along the front face. This would allow me to entirely remove the sump if that became necessary at some point in the future. My question is, is the lack of a brace along the face an issue when considering all the other braces?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Aquarium Frame.jpg

OP
OP
Ric878

Ric878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, that's what I was hoping for. I was just a bit worried that the front face would have issues but I figured that the top frame would distribute the weight across all the other available braces.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently made a stand out of 31/32 and 3/4" birch plywood. I have no brace across the front on an 80G cube other then a strip of ply. I did it this way as that was how the original stand was, and I could slide my sump in and out.

20210509_125813.jpg

Back