DIY trace elements calculations zinc ect

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone.
I am not a chemist unfortunately not am I very good at math so try to figure out if I could make DIY trace elements asi am constantly using them after icp to make corrections and would like to cut on costs.

So I purchased some

Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate 98%

Sodium Fluoride 97.0%

Zinc Chloride >98%

How much of each in grams to 1 L do I mix so that the ratio is same as trace elements bottle Ie

5ml of say DIY flouride to 100 litres of aquarium water will increase the fluoride concentration by 1 ug/l

OP
OP
I

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molar mass of manganese(ii) sulfate monohydrate is 169.0159 g/mol
Compound name is manganese(ii) sulfate monohydrate

Convert between MnSO4*H2O weight and moles

MolesWeight, g

Elemental composition of MnSO4*H2O
ElementAtomic weight#Mass percent
Manganese54.938045132.5047
Sulfur32.065118.9716
Oxygen15.9994547.3310
Hydrogen1.0079421.1927

OP
OP
I

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what Google search has brought up . Out of 100g 32g is manganese?! The rest I can't work out unfortunately

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are things in your tank?

I struggle to think low zinc, manganese and flouride are causing massive issues. You might get more issues by chasing numbers. Do you do water changes? which salt? you should get most trace elements from that.

OP
OP
I

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chat GPT ai just replaced our in house chemis lol

Manganese solution concentration​

p_pavlik@hotmail.com

Help me make a solution of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate so that 5 ml of mixed solution raises 100l water by 1ug

To calculate the concentration of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate needed to achieve the desired result, we need to use the following formula:
C = (m/V) x (1/d)
where C is the concentration of the solution in g/L, m is the mass of solute in grams, V is the volume of the solution in liters, and d is the density of the solution in g/mL.
To make a solution that raises 100 L of water by 1 μg, we first need to calculate the total mass of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate required. This can be done using the following formula:
mass = (volume of water x desired increase in concentration) / concentration of solute
Here, the volume of water is 100 L, the desired increase in concentration is 1 μg, and the concentration of solute is what we need to find.
Let's assume that the density of the solution is 1 g/mL (which is close to the density of water). Then, using the formula above, we can find the concentration of the solution:
concentration = (mass / volume) x density
We know that we need to dissolve this in 5 mL of solution. Thus,
mass = (volume of water x desired increase in concentration) / concentration of solute mass = (100 L x 1 μg) / (5 mL x 1 g/mL) mass = 20 μg
Now, we can plug this value into the formula for concentration:
concentration = (mass / volume) x density concentration = (20 μg / 0.005 L) x 1 g/mL concentration = 4000 g/L
So, to prepare the solution, you will need to dissolve 20 μg of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate in 5 mL of solution to make a concentration of 4000 g/L. Please note that this is a very high concentration and should be handled with care. Also, please make sure to use the appropriate safety equipment when working with chemicals.

p_pavlik@hotmail.com

Help me mix dry salt Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate to water so that I can achieve a solution which when added 5ml raises the value in 100L by 1 μg of manganese

To prepare the solution of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate from dry salt, you will need to follow these steps:
  1. Calculate the amount of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate needed to make the desired concentration of the solution. We can use the formula that we derived earlier:
mass = (volume of water x desired increase in concentration) / concentration of solute
Here, the volume of water is 100 L, the desired increase in concentration is 1 μg, and the concentration of solute is what we need to find.
  1. Since we are starting with dry salt, we need to first calculate the molecular weight of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate. The molecular weight can be calculated by adding the atomic weights of all the atoms in the molecule:
Mn = 54.94 g/mol S = 32.06 g/mol O = 16.00 g/mol H = 1.01 g/mol
Molecular weight of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate = (54.94 + 32.06 + (4 x 16.00) + (2 x 1.01)) + (1 x 18.01) = 169.01 g/mol
  1. Now, we can use the molecular weight to calculate the mass of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate needed:
mass = (volume of water x desired increase in concentration x molecular weight) / (1000 x 1) mass = (100 L x 1 μg x 169.01 g/mol) / (1000 x 1) mass = 16.901 mg
  1. Weigh out 16.901 mg of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate on a weighing scale.
  2. Transfer the weighed Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate into a clean and dry container.
  3. Add a small amount of distilled water to the container and stir until all the salt is dissolved. This will make a concentrated solution of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate.
  4. Now, add more distilled water to the container until you have a total volume of 100 mL. This will give you a solution with a concentration of 169.01 g/L.
  5. To make the final solution, add 5 mL of the concentrated Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate solution to 100 L of water. This will raise the concentration of manganese in the water by 1 μg/L.
Note: It is important to use distilled water for making the solution and to handle the chemicals with care. Also, make sure to label the container with the appropriate concentration of the solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chat GPT ai just replaced our in house chemis lol

Manganese solution concentration​

p_pavlik@hotmail.com

Help me make a solution of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate so that 5 ml of mixed solution raises 100l water by 1ug

To calculate the concentration of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate needed to achieve the desired result, we need to use the following formula:
C = (m/V) x (1/d)
where C is the concentration of the solution in g/L, m is the mass of solute in grams, V is the volume of the solution in liters, and d is the density of the solution in g/mL.
To make a solution that raises 100 L of water by 1 μg, we first need to calculate the total mass of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate required. This can be done using the following formula:
Let's assume that the density of the solution is 1 g/mL (which is close to the density of water). Then, using the formula above, we can find the concentration of the solution:
concentration = (mass / volume) x density
We know that we need to dissolve this in 5 mL of solution. Thus,
mass = (volume of water x desired increase in concentration) / concentration of solute mass = (100 L x 1 μg) / (5 mL x 1 g/mL) mass = 20 μg
Now, we can plug this value into the formula for concentration:
concentration = (mass / volume) x density concentration = (20 μg / 0.005 L) x 1 g/mL concentration = 4000 g/L
So, to prepare the solution, you will need to dissolve 20 μg of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate in 5 mL of solution to make a concentration of 4000 g/L. Please note that this is a very high concentration and should be handled with care. Also, please make sure to use the appropriate safety equipment when working with chemicals.

p_pavlik@hotmail.com

Help me mix dry salt Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate to water so that I can achieve a solution which when added 5ml raises the value in 100L by 1 μg of manganese

To prepare the solution of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate from dry salt, you will need to follow these steps:
  1. Calculate the amount of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate needed to make the desired concentration of the solution. We can use the formula that we derived earlier:
  1. Since we are starting with dry salt, we need to first calculate the molecular weight of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate. The molecular weight can be calculated by adding the atomic weights of all the atoms in the molecule:
Mn = 54.94 g/mol S = 32.06 g/mol O = 16.00 g/mol H = 1.01 g/mol
Molecular weight of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate = (54.94 + 32.06 + (4 x 16.00) + (2 x 1.01)) + (1 x 18.01) = 169.01 g/mol
  1. Now, we can use the molecular weight to calculate the mass of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate needed:
mass = (volume of water x desired increase in concentration x molecular weight) / (1000 x 1) mass = (100 L x 1 μg x 169.01 g/mol) / (1000 x 1) mass = 16.901 mg
  1. Weigh out 16.901 mg of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate on a weighing scale.
  2. Transfer the weighed Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate into a clean and dry container.
  3. Add a small amount of distilled water to the container and stir until all the salt is dissolved. This will make a concentrated solution of Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate.
  4. Now, add more distilled water to the container until you have a total volume of 100 mL. This will give you a solution with a concentration of 169.01 g/L.
  5. To make the final solution, add 5 mL of the concentrated Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate solution to 100 L of water. This will raise the concentration of manganese in the water by 1 μg/L.
Note: It is important to use distilled water for making the solution and to handle the chemicals with care. Also, make sure to label the container with the appropriate concentration of the solution.

ChatGPT gives unreliable chemistry answers, as we have demonstrated here, so I do not recommend putting your tank in the terminator's hands. lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone.
I am not a chemist unfortunately not am I very good at math so try to figure out if I could make DIY trace elements asi am constantly using them after icp to make corrections and would like to cut on costs.

So I purchased some

Manganese II Sulphate Monohydrate 98%

Sodium Fluoride 97.0%

Zinc Chloride >98%

How much of each in grams to 1 L do I mix so that the ratio is same as trace elements bottle Ie

5ml of say DIY flouride to 100 litres of aquarium water will increase the fluoride concentration by 1 ug/l

Faster than having us redo the calculations would be to find one of the many threads where we have already done it.

Here's a manganese recipe that you can swap in your material without worrying about the sulfate to chloride change:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a fluoride recipe:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a zinc recipe:

OP
OP
I

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy I did search and come across few however I just couldn't figure out the exact amount I need .
Thanks once again

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back