DIY Tropic Marin All for Reef (One Part Dosing Solution)

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the self mixed all for reef for some time. I like the idea very much but I noticed that after dosing it for a while, it starts to crystallise inside the tubes and on the end which results in the tubing getting stuck and it basically prevent it from dosing anymore.

So everyone who is using this, look out for this because it can become a big issue after some time if you run your tank on autopilot like I do.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have not seen this happen @Bramzor and have not had this complaint. So it makes me wonder why you are seeing that. Can you tell me what the parameters are that you are running in your system?

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have not seen this happen @Bramzor and have not had this complaint. So it makes me wonder why you are seeing that. Can you tell me what the parameters are that you are running in your system?

Parameters are those of the Tropic Marin Pro salt. Although I'm not sure what this has to do with it (no offence).

What I noticed right from the start was some crystallization at the end of the tube of my auto doser. This is similar as the issue that was reported some time ago by someone else.
However, this is not the big issue as you can break it off. The big issue is that if it gets stuck (and you do not notice it soon enough), it just stops dosing because it gets blocked and the tube starts filling showing air bubbles (which show up over time). This allows the tube to crystallization inside the tube and some parts in the tube even form a transparent crystal in the form of the tube which seems like a plexi rod which is tough and makes the dosing line worthless because it permanently blocks everything and you are unable to get it out. (Believe me, I tried)
So parts of the inside of the tube at the end shows crystallization which makes the tube blurry and some parts, in my case in the middle of the dosing line forms (less frequent) plexi like rods inside the dosing line.

Do you have any clue what may cause this? Currently the mixture is only based on CarboCalcium and TM Bio Magnesium. Haven't added the trace elements in this mixture.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
277-EDC51-DE13-4-F0-A-B291-D7-B5325-AE706.jpg
487-A5986-7-BD8-484-C-A268-6-EF79153263-E.jpg

I figured a picture says more than a thousand words. Left picture you can see the plexi like rods formed by crystallization inside the tube. The other picture is with a toothpick pushing it out of the dosing line. It's a hard crystallized transparent rod. Quite beautiful but obviously not something we are looking for to have inside the dosing line.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The All-For-Reef and the Carbo-Calcium solutions are very concentrated, and they have to be to keep them sterile and clean. When the solution gets even more concentrated by evaporation at the end of the hose crystallization starts. The form an growth is similar to stalactites in caves or under bridges. This can be avoided when the end of the tube is at the water surface. This avoids evaporation and crystallization.

jonny3979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just moved over to the DIY All in One solution as described in the BRSTV video, My question for @Hans-Werner or @Lou Ekus is how long does it take to get a reading of All increase etc.Today my reading as All 9.3, Cal 350, Mag 1150 - I'm going with 50ml of the solution to start - as @Hans-Werner explained in an email to me.
If I dose 50 for a couple of days would I look to see an increase in All immediately? or does it take time for the bacteria to get used to the solution to create the carbonates...if that makes sense.

Thanks you Jon

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just moved over to the DIY All in One solution as described in the BRSTV video, My question for @Hans-Werner or @Lou Ekus is how long does it take to get a reading of All increase etc.Today my reading as All 9.3, Cal 350, Mag 1150 - I'm going with 50ml of the solution to start - as @Hans-Werner explained in an email to me.
If I dose 50 for a couple of days would I look to see an increase in All immediately? or does it take time for the bacteria to get used to the solution to create the carbonates...if that makes sense.

Thanks you Jon
Dosing All in One (especially Carbo Calcium) will never show an increase in Alk or Cal when testing using the normal tests. The reason for this is because these will only become available when bacteria starts consuming it... So you cannot use these for increasing Alk or Cal, but you can use it to keep these levels stable.

jonny3979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely if you are inputting more Calcium that your system is using - that will increase the levels?
I believe its just the carbonates which the bacteria create...not Calcium

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks you Jon
It is true that the alkalinity may take some time to "show up" in the system. Sometimes this is a day or two. In fact, much of the alkalinity goes directly into the coral polyps when using a formate formula, and so you sometimes do not see it show up as much in the general water column until there is a lot of excess that then does show up there. The calcium will generally show up much sooner.
It is true, however, that we recommend getting the caclium, alkalinity and magnesium levels to the desired values first, and then use the Carbocalcium or All-For-Reef to maintain those levels. That way, as long as the polyps are getting what they need, it doesn't matter if it goes more directly to them, or goes through the water column where it is more easily measured.
I hope this answers your questions.

Dexter_SA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the pro coral mineral almost like doing a waterchange without physical replacing water. I just mix the powder up and pour into tank every two weeks or so. Am I using the product incorrectly and am I running a risk to overdose some elements?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the pro coral mineral almost like doing a waterchange without physical replacing water. I just mix the powder up and pour into tank every two weeks or so. Am I using the product incorrectly and am I running a risk to overdose some elements?

I have asked Hans-Werner Balling to weigh in on this. So we should have a reply from him soon. In my opinion, the Pro-Coral Mineral is not meant to replace water changes. That being said, I don't think you are at risk of overdosing trace elements. Although, you didn't say exactly how much you are adding every two week. If you are following the recommended dose, then overdosing should not be a concern. In case you don't have it, here is the liquid dosing instruction:
A concentrated solution can also be prepared with softened water (10 g / 2 scoops of powder per liter / per 0.26 US Gal. of water; dosage: 1 liter / 0.26 US Gal. of solution per 100 liters / 26 US Gal. of tank water each week).
I hope this proves helpful. And let's see what Hans-Werner Balling has to add when he makes his comments. :)

Dexter_SA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lou. I am a bit scared to dose the recommended dose as I don't fully understand the impact on the tank. I am basically using half of the recommended dose and dosing that solution every two weeks. If I understand correctly I am far away from the two scoops as you just indicated that would be save

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lou. I am a bit scared to dose the recommended dose as I don't fully understand the impact on the tank. I am basically using half of the recommended dose and dosing that solution every two weeks. If I understand correctly I am far away from the two scoops as you just indicated that would be save
Great, I'm very sure you are OK then. But I'm sure Hans-Werner Balling will have additional comments for you.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro-Coral Mineral contains the trace elements in the same proportions as natural seawater. Some of the trace elements like bromide and boron are in NSW in quite high concentrations and so are in Pro-Coral Mineral. This means without water changes some elements could build up with time. This should be checked by ICP-Analysis from time to time.

K+ and A- Elements are our trace elements solutions adjusted to the consumption by growth of corals and coralline algae. This is why I prefer these trace element mixes.

I am planning to reformulate the Pro-Coral Mineral to take some of the higher concentrations out and adjust it more to consumption.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does pro-coral mineral contain magnesium if so how much? I have been using one scoop of this every two or three days to maintain trace elements as is cheaper than A and K element liquids. But dont want o build up any undesirables in the tank.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does pro-coral mineral contain magnesium if so how much? I have been using one scoop of this every two or three days to maintain trace elements as is cheaper than A and K element liquids. But dont want o build up any undesirables in the tank.
Since we don't sell a lot of this product, here in the US, I am asking @Hans-Werner Balling to give his input on this. Personally, I prefer the A and K additives, for your application, over the Pro-Coral Mineral.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro-Coral Mineral does not contain magnesium but only minor and trace elements. For magnesium addition we have Bio-Magnesium and Bio-Magnesium Liquid.
Combining magnesium with minor and trace elements could cause conflicts when trace elements shall be added and magnesium is already high.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back