DIY Tropic Marin All for Reef (One Part Dosing Solution)

pakmon22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello, just ordered the DIY All-For-Reef kit from BRS. On their site it says the following:

5 Liter Kit:
  • 700 gram Carbo-Calcium
  • 1lb Bio-Magnesium
  • 1,000 mL Pro-Coral Trace A
  • 1,000 mL Pro-Coral Trace K
10 Liter Kit:
  • 1,400 gram Carbo-Calcium
  • 1lb Bio-Magnesium
However I notice the following in the directions:
Step 3: Add 12g Bio-Magnesium powder, stir continually.

This would imply that customers are receiving a large amount of Bio-Magnesium. What is the reason for this? Should I expect to be dosing additional bio-magnesium?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello, just ordered the DIY All-For-Reef kit from BRS. On their site it says the following:

5 Liter Kit:
  • 700 gram Carbo-Calcium
  • 1lb Bio-Magnesium
10 Liter Kit:
  • 1,400 gram Carbo-Calcium
  • 1lb Bio-Magnesium
However I notice the following in the directions:
Step 3: Add 12g Bio-Magnesium powder, stir continually.

This would imply that customers are receiving a large amount of Bio-Magnesium. What is the reason for this? Should I expect to be dosing additional bio-magnesium?
I'm not sure of exactly why BRS puts the one pound Bio-Magnesium in the kit. Not to say that some systems might not need more magnesium. But most will not. The AFR proportions usually work very well.

Hans-Werner

View Badges
Reaction score
It is correct that 1 lb Bio-Magnesium is a large amount in proportion to the demand of the other parts, but it is the smaller size we offer. The alternative is no magnesium at all.

The 1 lb can will be sufficient for ca. 37 liters of DIY All-For-Reef, so you need not to buy the kit every time. Also the 1000 ml of each K+ and A- Elements will be sufficient for 10 l and need not to be replaced every time after the 700 g can of Carbo-Calcium in the 5 liter kit is empty. :)

wshinji

View Badges
Reaction score
Pro-Coral Mineral does not contain magnesium but only minor and trace elements. For magnesium addition we have Bio-Magnesium and Bio-Magnesium Liquid.
Combining magnesium with minor and trace elements could cause conflicts when trace elements shall be added and magnesium is already high.
Hey Hans,
What do you recommend when I use Kalkwasser and want to supplement trace elements. I also have AWC so im thinking the Pro Coral Minerals is a better option? Also I like how it is in powder form and can mix with RODI myself.
A and K additives are in liquid form only? And they are preferred for tanks which have minimal WC to ensure certain trace elements dont build up over time, is that correct?

Hans-Werner

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey,
Sorry for my late Reply, I had a week off.
A- and K+ Elements are in liquid form only yet, since it is quite difficult to make a even mix of trace elements and keep it easy to dose in concentrated powder from. We managed it in the All-For-Reef Powder and the calcium salt keeps it easy to dose.
The A- and K+ Elements are designed to complement the calcium and alkalinity supply according to the coral's needs. For this purpose I recommend the A- and K+ Elements over Pro-Coral Mineral.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

wshinji

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey,
Sorry for my late Reply, I had a week off.
A- and K+ Elements are in liquid form only yet, since it is quite difficult to make a even mix of trace elements and keep it easy to dose in concentrated powder from. We managed it in the All-For-Reef Powder and the calcium salt keeps it easy to dose.
The A- and K+ Elements are designed to complement the calcium and alkalinity supply according to the coral's needs. For this purpose I recommend the A- and K+ Elements over Pro-Coral Mineral.
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I saw you have the all for reef powder which is awesome. Just too bad none of these popular items make it into the Australian market. Even the liquid a and K are in 200ml varieties only. What a joke.

How do you feel about showing off your tank to "non-reefing" guests?

• I really enjoy it

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I like it if they are interested

Votes: 48 55.8%
  • I really don't care either way

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • I don't like showing my tank to people who don't understand it

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 7.0%

Online statistics

Members online