• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

DIY Tropic Marin All for Reef (One Part Dosing Solution)

pakmon22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello, just ordered the DIY All-For-Reef kit from BRS. On their site it says the following:

5 Liter Kit:
  • 700 gram Carbo-Calcium
  • 1lb Bio-Magnesium
  • 1,000 mL Pro-Coral Trace A
  • 1,000 mL Pro-Coral Trace K
10 Liter Kit:
  • 1,400 gram Carbo-Calcium
  • 1lb Bio-Magnesium
However I notice the following in the directions:
Step 3: Add 12g Bio-Magnesium powder, stir continually.

This would imply that customers are receiving a large amount of Bio-Magnesium. What is the reason for this? Should I expect to be dosing additional bio-magnesium?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello, just ordered the DIY All-For-Reef kit from BRS. On their site it says the following:

5 Liter Kit:
  • 700 gram Carbo-Calcium
  • 1lb Bio-Magnesium
10 Liter Kit:
  • 1,400 gram Carbo-Calcium
  • 1lb Bio-Magnesium
However I notice the following in the directions:
Step 3: Add 12g Bio-Magnesium powder, stir continually.

This would imply that customers are receiving a large amount of Bio-Magnesium. What is the reason for this? Should I expect to be dosing additional bio-magnesium?
I'm not sure of exactly why BRS puts the one pound Bio-Magnesium in the kit. Not to say that some systems might not need more magnesium. But most will not. The AFR proportions usually work very well.

Hans-Werner

View Badges
Reaction score
It is correct that 1 lb Bio-Magnesium is a large amount in proportion to the demand of the other parts, but it is the smaller size we offer. The alternative is no magnesium at all.

The 1 lb can will be sufficient for ca. 37 liters of DIY All-For-Reef, so you need not to buy the kit every time. Also the 1000 ml of each K+ and A- Elements will be sufficient for 10 l and need not to be replaced every time after the 700 g can of Carbo-Calcium in the 5 liter kit is empty. :)

wshinji

View Badges
Reaction score
Pro-Coral Mineral does not contain magnesium but only minor and trace elements. For magnesium addition we have Bio-Magnesium and Bio-Magnesium Liquid.
Combining magnesium with minor and trace elements could cause conflicts when trace elements shall be added and magnesium is already high.
Hey Hans,
What do you recommend when I use Kalkwasser and want to supplement trace elements. I also have AWC so im thinking the Pro Coral Minerals is a better option? Also I like how it is in powder form and can mix with RODI myself.
A and K additives are in liquid form only? And they are preferred for tanks which have minimal WC to ensure certain trace elements dont build up over time, is that correct?

Hans-Werner

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey,
Sorry for my late Reply, I had a week off.
A- and K+ Elements are in liquid form only yet, since it is quite difficult to make a even mix of trace elements and keep it easy to dose in concentrated powder from. We managed it in the All-For-Reef Powder and the calcium salt keeps it easy to dose.
The A- and K+ Elements are designed to complement the calcium and alkalinity supply according to the coral's needs. For this purpose I recommend the A- and K+ Elements over Pro-Coral Mineral.

wshinji

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey,
Sorry for my late Reply, I had a week off.
A- and K+ Elements are in liquid form only yet, since it is quite difficult to make a even mix of trace elements and keep it easy to dose in concentrated powder from. We managed it in the All-For-Reef Powder and the calcium salt keeps it easy to dose.
The A- and K+ Elements are designed to complement the calcium and alkalinity supply according to the coral's needs. For this purpose I recommend the A- and K+ Elements over Pro-Coral Mineral.
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I saw you have the all for reef powder which is awesome. Just too bad none of these popular items make it into the Australian market. Even the liquid a and K are in 200ml varieties only. What a joke.

Do you ever leave your local fish store disappointed?

• Yes all the time

Votes: 321 34.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 464 49.8%
  • Never

Votes: 85 9.1%
  • I don't have a LFS

Votes: 46 4.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 1.6%

Online statistics

Members online