Do corals close at night?

jonleeroyix

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2021
Messages
189
Reaction score
77
Location
birmingham
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first two pictures I took this morning and they were looking awesome very spread out, but when I got home they were both all curled up and sad looking is this normal?
one is a Xenia and I forgot the name of the other one

63FF4C3F-F3BA-4329-8537-9F1FC46BC507.jpeg 6D3F68E8-85FA-42ED-871C-53B05388C9DA.jpeg 91EE685B-34CC-4F4A-B3A2-CA36172BA470.jpeg EB40DB1E-7787-4C94-8541-F49D7CA7EA3F.jpeg
 
I checked this morning before I left for work and sure enough! They’re open and pretty again!
They usually will close up every night. I've always assumed corals do that to help protect themselves from being eaten, and with there not being any light they have no reason to stay open, they don't gain any energy since there is no light.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new