do i have to quarantine fish?

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do i have to quarantine saltwater fish? I am going to have a 125 gallon aquarium, is it absoluutely necessesary to quarantine the fish? I will buy all the fish from Live aquaria

Where will live aquaria get their fish? ..... how many transfers did those fish go through before being stuffed in a bag and sent to you? ...... even in a sterile clean system, those fish are stressed and their immune system will not be at its best. Plus Live Aquaria is Petco, just FYI. Also, it really doesnt matter where you get your fish from, its the same thing. Also, parasites come on corals and inverts too, and you cant medicate them. They have to be inna fishless tank for up to 70ish days, wit few exceptions, like Urchins and starfish.

Unless you get quarantined fish, which start around $300 and up.

Basically, if you dont quarantine, one fish can easily kill them all, and the fish may look perfect. Anyone who tells you different has no idea what they are talking about. Ans that is not an opinion.

See protocols on humblefish website.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally against quarantine and I think us geezers who invented the thing were wrong.

But, in your case, with a new tank, new water, rock etc, from Live Aquaria, I would quarantine for now.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on if your comfortable enough to risk it. Fish can get stressed from shipping and have issues.
Prophylactic treatment isn't necessary but an observation tank is highly recommended

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally against quarantine and I think us geezers who invented the thing were wrong.

But, in your case, with a new tank, new water, rock etc, from Live Aquaria, I would quarantine for now.

Dude, seriously? The most ignorant comment I've ever seen. You do realize there is published research that completely goes against your uneducated opinion.

If thats your uneducated opinion, have at it, but it’s disrespectful to the fish that we keep as pets.

And did you invent the internet with Al Gore too? Since you were in the “us Geezers” that invented it.

Now go ahead and respond with personal stories from your anecdotal, vast experience how you are right, or comments from another sharing the same views who fears sailing off the edge of the earth.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, it's not necessary.
I don't. but I only buy local where they are treated in copper and dated to when they came in.
I usually wait awhile to buy.

Thats rare to find in a LFS. If you find one of those, you are good. At least for ich and velvet.

I have one in the Lauderdale area that runs copper at 2.0 and checks with a Hanna Copper checker, but no dates. Its at least a start for me because i can put them right in a 2.0 Copper QT. That only gets rid of some parasites, so i run API General Cure with it to cover the big 4, flukes and intestinal parasites.

It in no way hurts the fish, and reduces the risk of infecting fish in my DT.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to quarantine fish?
Yes, oh wait, No.
Google it, will likely lead you back to r2r, where you’ll find your answer. Oh wait, no you won’t

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to quarantine fish?
Yes, oh wait, No.
Google it, will likely lead you back to r2r, where you’ll find your answer. Oh wait, no you won’t

The internet has nothing but true stories. But id suggest putting “humblefish” in that google search for some reliable answers backed by actual research, not just someones opinion that is not supported by research. University of Florida does quite a bit of research on the topic

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do i have to quarantine saltwater fish? I am going to have a 125 gallon aquarium, is it absoluutely necessesary to quarantine the fish? I will buy all the fish from Live aquaria

In my opinion, it is ABSOLUTELY 100% necessary to do your own QT.

I don't care if the LFS says they QT. I don't care if LiveAquaria says they QT.

The only way to be certain is to do it yourself. What's the rush? Wouldn't it suck if you had a beautiful 125 gallon tank wiped out because of one sick fish?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The internet has nothing but true stories. But id suggest putting “humblefish” in that google search for some reliable answers backed by actual research, not just someones opinion that is not supported by research. University of Florida does quite a bit of research on the topic
Research is useful. So is decades of experience

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, seriously? The most ignorant comment I've ever seen. You do realize there is published research that completely goes against your uneducated opinion.

If thats your uneducated opinion, have at it, but it’s disrespectful to the fish that we keep as pets.

And did you invent the internet with Al Gore too? Since you were in the “us Geezers” that invented it.

Now go ahead and respond with personal stories from your anecdotal, vast experience how you are right, or comments from another sharing the same views who fears sailing off the edge of the earth.

ummm wow o_O

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats rare to find in a LFS. If you find one of those, you are good. At least for ich and velvet.

I have one in the Lauderdale area that runs copper at 2.0 and checks with a Hanna Copper checker, but no dates. Its at least a start for me because i can put them right in a 2.0 Copper QT. That only gets rid of some parasites, so i run API General Cure with it to cover the big 4, flukes and intestinal parasites.

It in no way hurts the fish, and reduces the risk of infecting fish in my DT.
"Copper will depress the immune system." https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/fa165
Anyone can find something to disagree with that someone else said, but your response to Paul B was a little toxic, and this UF quote about the method in question also supports a small part of his hypothesis.

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is one of the most confidently incorrect statements I've seen. This forum isn't about winning an argument and that seems to be what you're trying to do.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really @ReefRxSWFL?!?!?! Paul has a 50 year old successful reef system. How old is your setup? He personally does not quarantine, but he did recommend the OP quarantine. No need to try and belittle any member of this forum!

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Copper will depress the immune system." https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/fa165
Anyone can find something to disagree with that someone else said, but your response to Paul B was a little toxic, and this UF quote about the method in question also supports a small part of his hypothesis.
This is one of the most confidently incorrect statements I've seen. This forum isn't about winning an argument and that seems to be what you're trying to do.
This is one of the most confidently incorrect statements I've seen. This forum isn't about winning an argument and that seems to be what you're trying to
Really @ReefRxSWFL?!?!?! Paul has a 50 year old successful reef system. How old is your setup? He personally does not quarantine, but he did recommend the OP quarantine. No need to try and belittle any member of this forum!

I apologize about the tone of the comment.

Im aware of the effects of copper. Its just one part of quarantine. Thats the reason for observation quarantine after medicating to ensure a healthy addition to the tank. I guess mid-late 90s is when I started, but regardless, sorry for the tone

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand by medicated quarantine. Its the only way i am aware of to prevent pathogens from getting into a clean system. And to clarify, post medication quarantine putting the fish in a non medicated quarantine system for observation and boosting their health is an extremely important part of the process.

The process of importing fish and the distribution process ensures most if not all of these fish will end up in a system where they are exposed to some if not all of the pathogens the hobby is concerned with, and the associated stress absolutely weakens the immune system and general health of the fish we purchase.

Yes. Copper is toxic and affects the immune system, so have a post treatment plan to address that. The effects on the quarantined fish is much easier to deal with than an outbreak of, for example velvet in your DT, where just getting your fish out of a tank filled with rock and coral, before getting to use the pound of cure.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back