do i have to quarantine fish?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to qt everything. Now I don’t qt anything and found much greater success. With a newish tank qt is more helpful

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several fish that are up to 10+ years old that survived 11days with no power after Hurricaine Irma, and there is no way i would add a fish, invert or coral to one of those tanks that did not go through a full quarantine process.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several fish that are up to 10+ years old that survived 11days with no power after Hurricaine Irma, and there is no way i would add a fish, invert or coral to one of those tanks that did not go through a full quarantine process.
Probably a good idea since if your system really is ‘clean’ your fish’s immune system won’t be able to deal with anything

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good idea since if your system is really ‘clean’ your fish’s immune system won’t be able to deal with anything

Well, I understand your rationale for saying that. but thats not how immunity and the immune response works.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where will live aquaria get their fish? ..... how many transfers did those fish go through before being stuffed in a bag and sent to you? ...... even in a sterile clean system, those fish are stressed and their immune system will not be at its best. Plus Live Aquaria is Petco, just FYI. Also, it really doesnt matter where you get your fish from, its the same thing. Also, parasites come on corals and inverts too, and you cant medicate them. They have to be inna fishless tank for up to 70ish days, wit few exceptions, like Urchins and starfish.

Unless you get quarantined fish, which start around $300 and up.

Basically, if you dont quarantine, one fish can easily kill them all, and the fish may look perfect. Anyone who tells you different has no idea what they are talking about. Ans that is not an opinion.

See protocols on humblefish website.
Live Aquaria is NOT Petco. Petco sold off Live Aquaria. I don't remember exactly when but its been a while.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria is NOT Petco. Petco sold off Live Aquaria. I don't remember exactly when but its been a while.

Guess its been a while since i payed attention to that kind of stuff then, or bought fish from them. Thats going back to Drs Foster and Smith days, so thanks for the heads up.

misserica22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if you quarantine your fish for 4325678423534 years they can still get ick when you put them in your tank from stress etc!! if you're worried about velvet or something like that, then definitely treat them with copper first

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if you quarantine your fish for 4325678423534 years they can still get ick when you put them in your tank from stress etc!! if you're worried about velvet or something like that, then definitely treat them with copper first

The prtozoa already has to be in your DT, which is almost a moot point, because there is a good chance it’s already in there.

But a bigger concern than ich is velvet, brook and uronema. Other common issues you want to avoid are flukes and intestinal parasites as well.

And yes. Stress of any kind can cause an outbreak if its in the tank. Swing in temp, salinity, a Tang or Clownfish becoming a DB to other fish, rare as that is, LOL.

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By not quarantining your fish, you're just rolling the dice each time. You may get lucky 5, 10, or even 15 times, but your luck will eventually run out. The more mature your system is, the more it's going to hurt if one slips through the crack. It only takes one to ruin months or years of hard work.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know that several universities do research that show its not a bunch of.......

And they have no skin in the game. They dont sell fish or dry goods.
Lol. Show me these several university papers! Even then I don’t care. Never qt’d in 15 years not starting now. Take a look at my 2 build threads :cool:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, seriously? The most ignorant comment I've ever seen. You do realize there is published research that completely goes against your uneducated opinion.
Yes Dude, I know all about it and you can read about it in my book that I published on the subject.

And did you invent the internet with Al Gore too? Since you were in the “us Geezers” that invented it.
Not exactly, but I was there when it was invented just as "we" Geezers invented quarantine, and yes, I was one of the first people to come up with it.
Your 10 year old fish is also not that impressive.

Dude, you have a lot to learn about the hobby and respect for people older than you as you seem like a kid.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Dude, I know all about it and you can read about it in my book that I published on the subject.

Not exactly, but I was there when it was invented just as "we" Geezers invented quarantine, and yes, I was one of the first people to come up with it.
Your 10 year old fish is also not that impressive.

Dude, you have a lot to learn about the hobby and respect for people older than you as you seem like a kid.

I apologize about the tone of my post. It was out of line. Sorry if you missed when i posted that earlier.

Im not sure how you know how much i know or don't know or how long ive been doing this. I started with new tanks when i moved to this house just over 10 years ago. I dont recall disrespecting or putting down your your tank, so im not sure what made you refer to mine as unimpressive. I would never, and have never criticized anyones tank because i know what goes into it. While we may disagree on aspects of reefing, insulting someones tank, which always includes the effort behind it..........

I think I’ve e had some pretty nice and healthy reef tanks over the last 25-26 years ive been in the hobby,

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing this query come up weekly is quite something, and I guess it speaks to the various opinions here..... No you don't have to QT, however there is an element of risk. Especially as a newb adding multiple fish over a few months. My end, I don't but I do request my local trusted retailers quarantine them for me and pay more to do so. Then again I have added 3 fish inside of 5 years. One Anthia passed.....the other 2 are still with me....up to you OP, you might dodge the bullet, however if you adding at an unreasonably quick pace (that would be several fish over a few months) , then it's really Russian Roulette on startup imo....

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

. I dont recall disrespecting or putting down your your tank,
You didn't and I didn't say your tank, which I have not seen is unimpressive. I said, a ten year old quarantined fish are not impressive. Which goes along with the tone of your reply.

But when you start a post like this:
Dude, seriously? The most ignorant comment I've ever seen. You do realize there is published research that completely goes against your uneducated opinion.
Doesn't start off very well.

If thats your uneducated opinion, have at it, but it’s disrespectful to the fish that we keep as pets.

And did you invent the internet with Al Gore too? Since you were in the “us Geezers” that invented it.

Now go ahead and respond with personal stories from your anecdotal, vast experience how you are right, or comments from another sharing the same views who fears sailing off the edge of the earth.
Everything about your post was disrespectful and would be to anyone. And for my "Vast experience", I started in this hobby in the early 50s and started my still running, not quarantined reef tank the week salt water fish were imported into the US in 1971, so yes, I have vast experience.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't and I didn't say your tank, which I have not seen is unimpressive. I said, a ten year old quarantined fish are not impressive. Which goes along with the tone of your reply.

But when you start a post like this:

Doesn't start off very well.

Everything about your post was disrespectful and would be to anyone. And for my "Vast experience", I started in this hobby in the early 50s and started my still running, not quarantined reef tank the week salt water fish were imported into the US in 1971, so yes, I have vast experience.

Ok good for you. I apologized, and meant it. I cant tell if you accepted it, because it seems you just want to beat your chest that you are a big deal. I was gracious enough to apologize, which says something about me. Thank you for your service to the hobby. Ive got people to take care of.

I tell my graduate interns that those who want respect, get respect. You have to earn it..

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I understand your rationale for saying that. but thats not how immunity and the immune response works.
Yes it does, and the point you’re missing is, when you provide an environment void of any issues your fish’s immune system has to deal with might be worse for long term health. It’s certainly unnatural. But I understand your rationale. I too used to argue with Paul. Probably to justify my efforts to keep my tank free from perceived bad stuff. And the crutch was that qt and all that goes along with keeping a ‘clean’ system is definitely the more widely expected approach. Doesn’t make it right, or better

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good for you. I apologized, and meant it. I cant tell if you accepted it, because it seems you just want to beat your chest that you are a big deal. I was gracious enough to apologize, which says something about me. Thank you for your service to the hobby. Ive got people to take care of.

I tell my graduate interns that those who want respect, get respect. You have to earn it..
When you say you’re sorry for being insulting that is supposed to mean you know you were wrong. When you do it again you can’t say you meant it. Sorta like you can’t accuse someone of beating their chest, and then beat your own chest.

Last edited:

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does, and the point you’re missing is, when you provide an environment void of any issues your fish’s immune system has to deal with might be worse for long term health. It’s certainly unnatural. But I understand your rationale. I too used to argue with Paul. Probably to justify my efforts to keep my tank free from perceived bad stuff. And the crutch was that qt and all that goes along with keeping a ‘clean’ system is definitely the more widely expected approach. Doesn’t make it right, or better

Not disagreeing with you, but there is a difference between clean and sterile. A healthy immune system is ready to deal with introduction of pathogens. However, you don’t necessarily want to introduce disease voluntarily. Like you want others around you to cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze to reduce risk. Were saying kind of the same thing. I take care of sick people for a living, and the practice is not to different. Stay in good shape, eat well, don't smoke and minimize risk of disease. In the end, a healthy immune system is there to back you up.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back