OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got off the phone with the maker. Guy has been doing it for 25 years. He has literally no clue why it's happening from the center. It actually formed a ring from the center up. Not the top to center. I'm just going to repack resin and try again.

Tklb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is it is tunneling in the bottom 2/3 of the canister, and is only reaching all of the resin in the top 1/3. I had one do this that I thought I packed tightly, and it drove me crazy until I replaced/refilled the resin, and there was a big void in the middle almost like a big straw. Everything along the 'Straw' had changed colors, but the rest on the bottom never did.
I only ever had it do this one time. Now I pack the crap out of them. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is it is tunneling in the bottom 2/3 of the canister, and is only reaching all of the resin in the top 1/3. I had one do this that I thought I packed tightly, and it drove me crazy until I replaced/refilled the resin, and there was a big void in the middle almost like a big straw. Everything along the 'Straw' had changed colors, but the rest on the bottom never did.
I only ever had it do this one time. Now I pack the crap out of them. Hope that helps.
Yeah this is the conclusion im coming to.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got off the phone with the maker. Guy has been doing it for 25 years. He has literally no clue why it's happening from the center. It actually formed a ring from the center up. Not the top to center. I'm just going to repack resin and try again.
I would try what bblumberg said first if your going to repack.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What who said? Sorry I'm somehow out of the loop with my own post lol
This is what he is said: Then somehow your flow is backwards as many have said. You can test that by putting empty cartridge in the housing with no water in it, then letting flow start. If water comes down the outside of the canister, flow is correct. If it comes down middle, the flow is backward.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what he is said: Then somehow your flow is backwards as many have said. You can test that by putting empty cartridge in the housing with no water in it, then letting flow start. If water comes down the outside of the canister, flow is correct. If it comes down middle, the flow is backward.
Oh guy on the phone said to try that. It's put in correctly. I just think there was a hidden channel. Only logical thing at this point

Carson b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 stage rodi system and it's currently letting 8 tds through, super high, I know. But my resin looks unevenly worn. Is there a problem with my system or is this when I would normally need to change it? I thought it should all change color before needing a replacement.

20221205_125953.jpg
This happens occasionally with my BRS rodi unit. I have found that it is typically a result of the water channeling through the center of the DI resin. In my experience it would usually happen when the Di resin wasn't packed down very well.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens occasionally with my BRS rodi unit. I have found that it is typically a result of the water channeling through the center of the DI resin. In my experience it would usually happen when the Di resin wasn't packed down very well.
Very possible, it was my first attempt at packing my own

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 170 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back