Do i need to change my di resin?

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
This is the way water should flow through it.
20221205_141105~2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is the way water should flow through it.
20221205_141105~2.jpg
It appears discolored and many come with color change feature. Your TDS and resin color will determine need

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It appears discolored and many come with color change feature. Your TDS and resin color will determine need
He still has TDS of 8 after the DI resin, and it's changing color top to bottom. Would show there's a bypass of filtered water wouldn't it? Like a leaking cap, seal, or top?

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He still has TDS of 8 after the DI resin, and it's changing color top to bottom. Would show there's a bypass of filtered water wouldn't it? Like a leaking cap, seal, or top?
What your saying makes complete sense. I checked all of that and nothing seems to be wrong. The lines are right, and everything seems to be in the right orientation

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What your saying makes complete sense. I checked all of that and nothing seems to be wrong. The lines are right, and everything seems to be in the right orientation
I'm not an expert here like some of these other guys...lol. I've hooked up a few of these and built my own. You definitely have a faulty unit somewhere. The top could be cracked internally. Not sure where you got the unit but could you get it replaced? Or just replace the entire last DI unit? If you lived next door I got a spare housing I would give you....lol

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert here like some of these other guys...lol. I've hooked up a few of these and built my own. You definitely have a faulty unit somewhere. The top could be cracked internally. Not sure where you got the unit but could you get it replaced? Or just replace the entire last DI unit? If you lived next door I got a spare housing I would give you....lol
I got it from my lfs... I've just contacted the company. You think it's likely a crack somewhere?

My lfs is closed on Mondays...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Possibly but can be contributed by water source coming in

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I got it from my lfs... I've just contacted the company. You think it's likely a crack somewhere?

My lfs is closed on Mondays...
Without seeing it first hand and such I can't say for sure. I can only speculate.

I would think the LFS would make good on it, it definitely seems there is a leak/bypass of filtered water in the top somewhere.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without seeing it first hand and such I can't say for sure. I can only speculate.

I would think the LFS would make good on it, it definitely seems there is a leak/bypass of filtered water in the top somewhere.
Idk about my lfs.. It's been like 7 months with 4 months of actual use. I doubt they'll do anything to help.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Possibly but can be contributed by water source coming in
I agree. But it changing at the top and not the bottom to me would be indicative of water not flowing through the bottom of the media at all and the resin just catching dissolve solids as water bypasses at the top.

@BuddyBonButt I would replace the entire housing. If your LFS won't help they are only like $20 on Amazon.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. But it changing at the top and not the bottom to me would be indicative of water not flowing through the bottom of the media at all and the resin just catching dissolve solids as water bypasses at the top.

@BuddyBonButt I would replace the entire housing. If your LFS won't help they are only like $20 on Amazon.
Ok. I will. Thank you for your incredible effort to help me. It's helped me understand the unit a bit more.

Before I go, this resin is good then right? Just something wrong with the housing? Or would this need to be changed even under normal circumstances?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I believe as was suggested- recourse is to replace entire cartridge

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok. I will. Thank you for your incredible effort to help me. It's helped me understand the unit a bit more.

Before I go, this resin is good then right? Just something wrong with the housing? Or would this need to be changed even under normal circumstances?
Well that's the only other thing I didn't touch on. If for some really odd reason a they mixed resins in layers or if there is just a bad batch they poured in first and topped off with good which would seem really odd.

I would replace the housing, run the filter and measure my TDS, if it remains at 8, I would replace the resin. It is not normal for a mixed bed resin to change top to bottom like that. There is obviously something wrong and process of elimination is the best option if no visual problems exist.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's the only other thing I didn't touch on. If for some really odd reason a they mixed resins in layers or if there is just a bad batch they poured in first and topped off with good which would seem really odd.

I would replace the housing, run the filter and measure my TDS, if it remains at 8, I would replace the resin. It is not normal for a mixed bed resin to change top to bottom like that. There is obviously something wrong and process of elimination is the best option if no visual problems exist.
Ok thank you so much for your time.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back