Do I put light on my new coral?

Alyssa.Weber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I just picked up my first coral yesterday and was told to let it sit in the shade. I read that it takes a while for them to open back up, hes not opened up yet but he is definitely less ticked off than yesterday haha. My question is, when do I turn my lights on for him? Should I do it now or wait for him to open up?

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of coral is it?

Generally, you want to photo adapt the coral to your light. There are a couple ways to do this. You could start by putting the coral in the very bottom than slowly move him up to the desired spot. Say every three days or so, move him up a little further. Or you could lower your light intensity and gradually have it ramp up. Some lights come with this feature automatically.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually put them in light right away after dipping and acclimating them. I do however, place them on the outer edges of the tank because the lighting is typically weaker in those areas. coral need light to live, so keep that in mind...

hope that makes sense.

Lunardogz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in low light and acclimate it to desirable lighting. I personally don’t do light acclimation in my tank and things seem fine.

Back