Do I really need a controller (Apex or Hydros)?

MUTiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have contemplated getting a controller, but question whether I really need one and what is the benefit beyond what I currently have.

My current set up:

Red Sea Reefer 250, V3 sump
2 Red Sea LED90 lights that are easily managed on my phone with ReefBeat App
Red Sea doser that is easily managed on my phone with ReefBeat App
Reefmat 250 that is easily managed on my phone with ReefBeat App
Icecap 2000 gyre flow pump that is easily managed on my phone with Hydros App
INKBIRD WiFi temperature controller that is easily managed on my phone with INKBIRD App

What would an Apex or Hydros controller add to what I am currently running?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A controller is not necessary. The question regarding if one would add to what you have depends on what your goals are from a management view. Donyou want to add extra convenience or testing that your current apps don't offer?

York1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you do not but if you have the money in your budget for one. I say get one

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the money? Yes.
But what would be the benefits of spending that money ? Other than testing, what would it add to my current system?
A lot of extra sensors that you can use to trigger different actions to help manage the tank. More alert options are also nice

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devices today keep moving towards having their own app and WiFi. I'm still getting a controller because I'd rather have one app managing all my devices and then have the individual device apps as backup should my controller malfunction. Plus not all functionality currently app/WiFi enabled. I'd like to know my Ph, temp and ORP for example.

Devinstanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have contemplated getting a controller, but question whether I really need one and what is the benefit beyond what I currently have.

My current set up:

INKBIRD WiFi temperature controller that is easily managed on my phone with INKBIRD App

I bought the Red Sea Max S 1000 and went all in on Red Sea in January. I got the Apex system because everyone rants and raves about it.

I’ll probably catch hate, but I have been nothing but disappointed. The probes are almost always incorrect despite multiple calibrations, the trident has had the hoses pop off multiple times internally, and it is a bit unsightly against the red, white, and black of the Red Sea aesthetic.

The positives I would give it are regulating my heaters, timing my Kalk Stirrer, Plank auto feeder, and Ozone (Avast is great, Customer service super responsive to questions. Shout out to Dan). It also shows how much electricity draw you have going to each outlet for utility budgeting/issues.

All in all, Red Sea does just fine with their app and products (without programming anything) and I would rather do my own testing to be 100% sure the numbers are accurate now. Get it for kicks with on/off controller settings if you want, but knowing what I know now, I would have spent my money elsewhere.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the money? Yes.
But what would be the benefits of spending that money ? Other than testing, what would it add to my current system?
Ability to control everything on a single app and add a trident for daily testing which is nice!

OP
OP
M

MUTiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH and ORP are two big advantages. Temp is monitored and controlled by my INKBIRD I can check and adjust the temperature of my tank off the app from anywhere.

Regarding my Red Sea equipment, if I got a controller could I modify the LED light schedule and program through an Apex, could I monitor the inches of roller floss used by my reefmat, could I program the dosing schedule of my Red Sea doser? Or would I have to use the ReefBeat app in addition to the controller?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controllers can be great for monitoring your system. But they add another layer of complexity and equipment to fail and cause problems. With the failures I've seen* I would have some kind of redundancy so when it fails it doesn't crash your system.

* Sesnors, sensor ports, individual outlets, whole power bars and processers [head units] not sending warnings or dying making it impossible to access data, change settings and taking out the enitre control system.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

My current set up:

I'm not going to look at the other posts so I can give my opinion. A controller allows you to manage 'everything' in one spot. I.e. if you want to do maintenence you can quickly turn off what you don't want on. (you could also do that with surge suppressors).

Controllers can help alert you (sometimes better than an app) - that there is a problem in your tank. For example your temperature is dropping (of course many heaters have alarms, but you can't here them if you're 1000 miles away) - and if there is an alarm, you can manage that piece of equipment from afar (which is an advantage if you travel alot.

However, my opinion is the controller also replaces many / most / all functionality of your equipment - which if it fails can be catastrophic. So - I personally used an apex merely as a monitoring device after a point. I sold all of the modules on Ebay - and merely used the software/controllers that came with each piece of equipment to actually manage them. In the case of my radions and my gyre, I far preferred the native controllers as compared to apex - but it's a totally personal discussion - and many people have both types of controllers.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - then another thing one may need to consider is, for example, the ORP reading correctly - or is it beneficial (that may open an unwanted debate). Likewise the probes on some of the popular controllers need to be cross-checked/cleaned/calibrated/replaced periodically - and one may not realize that they are actually giving out 'false' information. There have been discussions here before about 'Do you want your tank to be fully automated?' - and while it sounds 'great' IMHO, there is no substitute for human intervention (i.e. if you go on a trip, have a house sitter, rather than relying on a controller alert, or train a family member). The advantage with a controller is you may notice a problem sooner with an alert - which you can then work on troubleshooting. Again - I personally have found this a poor substitute to my own observation and testing.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be anti controller for a long time. I couldn’t imagine spending thousands of dollars on something that doesn’t even seem necessary. Then my livestock grew out. Then I added more tanks. After seeing how much I had invested in livestock and life support, I saw the controller as insurance for my investment. It has saved my tanks many times in spite of my errors. I also work a lot, and it allows me to have the coral that I do. When compared to everything I have, it is actually a fraction of the total cost, but an invaluable tool for my situation. A controller can act on your behalf when life is getting in the way of your reefing. Everyone will have a different scenario deciding if it’s worth it for them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already noted, a controller is a nice-to-have but not a must-have. There are lots of things that you can monitor, including main pump health, for example. Only you can decide whether those things are worthwhile.

Captain-Barnacle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the very best, hire a live-in PhD Marine Biologist to control everything manually. It may seem expensive, but a worst-case digital control aquarium failure can cost far more.

yury88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy a controller, you also exchange all your equipment to the company that made your controller.

All your smart toys with wifi do not integrate into their proprietary systems in any way.

So get ready to pay thousands of dollars for overpriced hardware with one label.
And get ready to be disappointed in luck of feature that you really needs. All these aquarium brand are struggling to make nornal software.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Devices today keep moving towards having their own app and WiFi.
Man yOu said it, …..I got so many friggin “apps” on my phone…Anymore you can’t even buy a “wholesome” toy from a adult store without a app (or USB charger) LOL
the trident has had the hoses pop off multiple times internally, and it is a bit unsightly against the red, white, and black of the Red Sea aesthetic.
I feel vindicated…I got one sitting in the garage, manifold shot after being freshly “refurbished” for $200……misery loves company
Ability to control everything on a single app and add a trident for daily testing which is nice!
single app huh? I wish , at the very least you gotta manage at least 2 app “universes” anymore …I’ve been able to whittle it down to Red Sea and Neptune … heck does anyone still own a flip phone anymore?
I’d imagine you’d have to use the Red Sea app for the doser as Neptune links with a dos..
exactly
far preferred the native controllers as compared to apex
Shoot As it is I gotta flip through 5 pages of “apps” on my iphone…I can’t keep up …

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back