Do I really want to switch to an SPS dominant system?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Historically, I’ve always like having euphyllia dominant systems. The looks, colors, movement, etc… BUT, historically I’ve always struggled keeping them. Plenty of planning just to watch them whither away and melt. It’s like a rollercoaster for me. Monitoring water, dosing, watching good growth… and then melting time- but while nutrients are lower I seem to enjoy watching SPS grow.

That said, other than obvious higher and more stable care needs for SPS over LPS, what are some insider tips for success if I were to consider an SPS dominated system

Some system info:

My tank is a 75 gallon with a 34” Trigger Systems V2 set up for Triton Method dosing off of a RedSea ReefDose. Skimmer is a ReefOcto 152S. I have plenty of nutrient export power with the fuge, and have already bottomed out NO3 and PO4, which I’m feeding heavily and dosing ESV Nitrate to help bring levels back up. Also running 2 Hydra 64HD’s so I have plenty of lighting power for SPS. I also run a 15 watt UV, and a Bashsea reactor for carbon or GFO.

Tank has been running since January and have already been hit with a couple issues from moving too fast, nutrients too high, too low, and everything in between, but things are settling down. I’m confident I can create a stable SPS environment.

I am NOT willing to re-do any filtration equipment or dosing modalities. IE setting up a CARX.

Hoping to open a nice dialogue with some tried and trued methods and advice. I’ve never had an SPS tank but think I’d fully enjoy one.

Thanks!
-Ben

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Historically, I’ve always like having euphyllia dominant systems. The looks, colors, movement, etc… BUT, historically I’ve always struggled keeping them. Plenty of planning just to watch them whither away and melt. It’s like a rollercoaster for me. Monitoring water, dosing, watching good growth… and then melting time- but while nutrients are lower I seem to enjoy watching SPS grow.

That said, other than obvious higher and more stable care needs for SPS over LPS, what are some insider tips for success if I were to consider an SPS dominated system

Some system info:

My tank is a 75 gallon with a 34” Trigger Systems V2 set up for Triton Method dosing off of a RedSea ReefDose. Skimmer is a ReefOcto 152S. I have plenty of nutrient export power with the fuge, and have already bottomed out NO3 and PO4, which I’m feeding heavily and dosing ESV Nitrate to help bring levels back up. Also running 2 Hydra 64HD’s so I have plenty of lighting power for SPS. I also run a 15 watt UV, and a Bashsea reactor for carbon or GFO.

Tank has been running since January and have already been hit with a couple issues from moving too fast, nutrients too high, too low, and everything in between, but things are settling down. I’m confident I can create a stable SPS environment.

I am NOT willing to re-do any filtration equipment or dosing modalities. IE setting up a CARX.

Hoping to open a nice dialogue with some tried and trued methods and advice. I’ve never had an SPS tank but think I’d fully enjoy one.

Thanks!
-Ben
Hmmm only been running since January and you already ready for sps…. In my opinion and I’m sure 95% of the other whole reefing community your tank is not ready not mature enough for SBS but good luck

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm only been running since January and you already ready for sps….
Didn’t say that actually…

“That said, other than obvious higher and more stable care needs for SPS over LPS, what are some insider tips for success if I were to consider an SPS dominated system”

Im thinking down the line as the tank stabilizes.

thanks.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dose some bacteria to increase your biodiversity, that was the difference in my tank when I started last feb. since I started dosing bacteria, the system has been thriving, sps stopped stn, and came back to life. its amazing how a sps frag can go half dead skeleton, to growing new tissue in a matter of a couple of weeks... This is my experience... a friend of mine minus9 recommended that I get some bacteria from algae barn, and it the best thing I have done to my tank.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm only been running since January and you already ready for sps…. In my opinion and I’m sure 95% of the other whole reefing community your tank is not ready not mature enough for SBS but good luck
Well hopefully the 95% of the other whole Reefing community actually reads the post and doesn’t reply with an assumption and implied words.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has different opinions but I would start with stabilizing nutrients without the use of GFO. Since the tank was just setup you are going to go through a good length of time before the tank settles. More than likely your loses of LPS is due to the rapid changes in nutrients and I wouldn’t spend any money on sticks until you can keep LPS successfully for months.
Are you wanting to keep acros?

Was the tank started with live rock or dry?

Picture of tank?

Personally I wouldn’t do anything with SPS for awhile and jump in the SPS forum and learn from people who have been around for awhile, just listen to what they have to say

I will take sub optimal stable parameters over chasing perfect ones. @Charlie’s Frags

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully the 95% of the other whole Reefing community actually reads the post and doesn’t reply with an assumption and implied words.
you have a three month old tank that you’ve already been talking about putting torches in melting away I only made it assumption off of what you’ve already posted And I assume since you’re already killing torches that you wanted to kill some acros as well sorry

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has different opinions but I would start with stabilizing nutrients without the use of GFO. Since the tank was just setup you are going to go through a good length of time before the tank settles. More than likely your loses of LPS is due to the rapid changes in nutrients and I wouldn’t spend any money on sticks until you can keep LPS successfully for months.
Are you wanting to keep acros?

Was the tank started with live rock or dry?

Picture of tank?

Personally I wouldn’t do anything with SPS for awhile
Not looking to do this soon. Trying to plan and get some knowledge. Thanks

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind guys- was looking for some help and to increase my knowledge. Didn’t say I was ready or that I was going to be stuffing my tank with SPS. Actually feel like I was doing the responsible thing by trying to find out what works for people and best ways to stabilize my tank in the upcoming months.

you have a three month old tank that you’ve already been talking about putting torches in melting away I only made it assumption off of what you’ve already posted And I assume since you’re already killing torches that you wanted to kill some acros as well sorry
Who WANTS to kill any coral? Literally asking the “community” for some pointers.

Have a good day man.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know what your doing and can keep stable and the correct water parameters then you can add SPS or any other corals for that matter, from day one, simple as that. I did it In a 530g system so you don’t need to let it mature

But, you need to know what your doing, and be able to monitor and correct parameters as they change. You don’t need to do daily tests, weekly is fine but just keep an eye on things and don’t let anything go ‘off’. If you can do this you should be fine so it is possible, but if you can’t you may have issues.

I prefer mixed reefs personally, I have two, I like movement, but the big one is probably SPS dominated to be fare. Oh and the other big one is as well looking at it, but I have gonipora all sorts of things in both.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get all kinds of "general" help in the General section of the forums.

If you really want help from the SPS guru's on these forums, you better off posting this in the SPS specific forum.

Quite a few of the guys I consider guru's on these forums, don't venture out much past the SPS section.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever think I could have been talking about a different tank, not this one that’s 3 months old, or do you always just reply in a closed minded manner? Appreciate all your help, really making looking for some advice a treat on this forum.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running since January and have already been hit with a couple issues from moving too fast
This right here is why youre most likely having issues with lps and itll be the same with sps.

My question is why are you aiming for one or the other and not both? A mixed reef with euphyllia and sps isnt an issue. I have large colonies of both in my system.

I think you just need to take your time and get stable parameters first, then start adding some inexpensive frags of each and see how they do. After a few months of seeing decent growth then start getting into some of the fancier pieces. While keeping sps stability is by far the most important. I recommend getting or renting a par meter to check lighting and lots of low.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved all lps/nps/softies on the left side of our 250g and the right is now 100% SPS. I didn't feel like a new tank or tear down as I love what I've built.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This right here is why youre most likely having issues with lps and itll be the same with sps.

My question is why are you aiming for one or the other and not both? A mixed reef with euphyllia and sps isnt an issue. I have large colonies of both in my system. I think you just need to take your time and get stable parameters first, then start adding some inexpensive frags of each and see how they do. After a few months of seeing decent growth then start getting into some of the fancier pieces.

As for tips for keeping sps stability is by far the most important. I recommend getting or renting a par meter to check lighting and lots of low.
Yep I’m aware that is totally my issue… I admit my faults. I’m looking to get any tips for the future as my tank matures. Not planning on any big changes any time soon. Just going to test water and do what needs to be done to stabilize it.

Wondering what people are doing for parameters, PAR, etc.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My question is why are you aiming for one or the other and not both? A mixed reef with euphyllia and sps isnt an issue. I have large colonies of both in my system.

I think you just need to take your time and get stable parameters first, then start adding some inexpensive frags of each and see how they do. After a few months of seeing decent growth then start getting into some of the fancier pieces. While keeping sps stability is by far the most important. I recommend getting or renting a par meter to check lighting and lots of low.

I do have a PAR meter. Flow actually seems to be an issue- can’t seem to keep everyone happy. Running 2 OctoPulse 2’s on a WaveEngine and still working out the sweet spot percentage and placement for the tank

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be surprised what most of us run for nutrients in SPS dominant systems. ULN is a thing of the past. It does work, but as the years go by, we learn that ULN isn't the right way to go.

My system is SPS dominant with quite a few LPS as well.....

15 to 20ppm NO3
Anywhere between 0.1 and 0.2 PO4

There actually was a thread in the SPS section about nutrients levels a while back, most of us were somewhere right around those numbers.

In new systems nutrient levels like those will cause all kinds of algae issues. Once a tank matures, and you can run higher nutrients, algae isn't a concern.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be surprised what most of us run for nutrients in SPS dominant systems. ULN is a thing of the past. It does work, but as the years go by, we learn that ULN isn't the right way to go.

My system is SPS dominant with quite a few LPS as well.....

15 to 20ppm NO3
Anywhere between 0.1 and 0.2 PO4

There actually was a thread in the SPS section about nutrients levels a while back, most of us were somewhere right around those numbers.

In new systems nutrient levels like those will cause all kinds of algae issues. Once a tank matures, and you can run higher nutrients, algae isn't a concern.
Wow yea I can see NO3 levels like that but never thought PO4 that high… crazy. See this is the info i need, thanks. Couple people jumping down my throat. Musta struck a nerve.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a PAR meter. Flow actually seems to be an issue- can’t seem to keep everyone happy. Running 2 OctoPulse 2’s on a WaveEngine and still working out the sweet spot percentage and placement for the tank
Flow is more important for SPS then PAR. IMO.

I run an 80G cube, I run 2 mp10's, 2 jebao pp8's, 2 nero3's, and RFG nozzles on my returns. Granted I don't run all these on 100%, but I do run them all at the same time to create random flow patterns. Corals do not like laminar(one way) flow.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back