Do pipefish shed?

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Just curious if pipefish shed? I've noticed my Dragonfaced pipes have had some light brown/dark spots for a day or two and then they disappear. Doesn't seem inflamed or red like an infection or anything.

I know they can also change colors somewhat so not completely convinced it's even a spot per say.

Figure it's possible they got too close to euphylia at times, but they're quite conscious of no getting too close to corals with tentacles via my observations.

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, yeah not seeing any "shed", or anything, coming off, just curious. Assume the spots are just some sort of irritant.

They're eating a ton and no redness so not too worried.

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes? Or hopefully just planaria...
They are due for second dose of prazi tomorrow, as I'm rather sure gill flukes were present via other tankmates.

There are some planaria present in the tank, but definitely not on the pipes (the planaria seem largely unaffected by the prazi).

The spots mentioned are more like areas of slightly yellow/brown shading that isn't very obvious with white light, but looks darker under blues.

Haven't seen any signs of body flukes or other external parasites, but if there were in about 24 hours any newly hatched eggs should be gone.

Will keep a close eye on it and can do antibiotic/antifungal if it doesnt mend quick (after 10 hours of the next prazi dose, like previously observed.

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: spots mentioned healed up/faded fine, possibly post flukes. Sadly though my pipefish male started swimming erratically at night and seemingly had a struggle with the powerhead. Dorsal fin is damaged and some skin around it inflamed.
Have him medicated in hospital with furan2 and kanaplex. Ordering triple sulfa now.
:(
He's been super healthy prior to this injury so I'm really hopeful he'll pull through but it's heartbreaking, not using that powerhead anymore, opting for a power with no exposed blades and very fine guards.

Luckily it's mostly the fin and not vitals damaged, or tail, just paranoid of infection.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back