do swallowtail angels jump?

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about adding a swallowtail angel to my 150 gallon. My tank is eurobraced but I do not otherwise cover it. I try to avoid fish that like to jump.
Does anyone know if these angels are prone to jump. ?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ve never jumped in my tank, I do see them go up to the surface then back down often. If they are frightened while at the surface, they may jump.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pair of Spot throats, and they do hit the surface hard for flakes sometimes but have never seen on break the surface. Do not know if they would jump out, but love them way too much to find out.

and on the torches…. What!?

OP
OP
J

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general rule. You should count on all fish jumping. They get scared easy.
disagree (hence the research) or at least I think there is a spectrum of behavior
Careful with the swallowtail angles. Mine started eating my torches after a year. Quickly re-homed him!
now that's a deal-breaker! anyone second that opinion?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had a pair for over a year and never ever seen any coral poaching, or heard of it from other sources, but anything is possible

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disagree (hence the research) or at least I think there is a spectrum of behavior

now that's a deal-breaker! anyone second that opinion?
I can, mine never touches any coral - He behaves fine except jumps as with any fish found deep down. It’s a defence mechanism many fish 3 meters+ use, if a predator is on their tail because the surface isn’t like 2 inches away, these fish dart up (This is the same reason wrasses jump) and then lunge in another direction which makes the predator get confused, albeit that this method doesn’t always work in the wild it still gets the predator off of their tail. My spot breast will jump out of the water during feeding and when spooked, they also use that mechanism when anything spooks them because it’s as if they’re getting predated on. That is why it’s cruicial to have a kid on ANY tank, EVERY fish can and WILL jump if spooked or they feel like they’re being predated on. No fish other than tuna and other large fish that we can’t get in this hobby will be right at the surface so every fish wether Thats 3 meters down or 90+ meters deep can use this mechanism and will use it when they feel like being predated on. Yes even captive bred clownfish still understand how to use this defence mechanism, although they rarely use it because they are much more adapted to captivity than any angelfish, wrasse, tang ect.. is

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back