Do you agree with Paul B's method (no QT) ?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 99.99% of tanks have ich and other things in them, so most people are operating like he does. Only when water quality goes down or stress occurs, does it it visibly show itself and start killing things. If you look at what is really required to make sure you don't get ich...it is a lot. A coral tank for incoming inverts and corals that is in a different room from the display, so that they can sit for several months. Another tank in a 3rd room for fish, where they are treated with copper for a few months. Almost no one does it to make sure 100% they are free of disease.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing natural about a fish tank. There are 300 quintillion gallons of water in the oceans and our tanks have 50-100. Diseases do not have a chance to destroy every fish in the ocean. It does in our tanks. Quarantine.

Yep. It should also be said, fish die of disease in the ocean too where they are exposed to all the bacteria and parasites that supposedly boost their immunity in a reef tank.

I might change my mind about this if someone dumped a Acanthurus tang or puffer in that tank and it survived long term.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes totally it can be done, there are so many more tanks that don’t quarantine other than Paul’s. As to whether more people quarantine than don’t I’m not so sure your correct as every poll on here comes up with a different answer, then factor in those that don’t quarantine everything and those that don’t do it properly and do people who quarantine actually report accurately the number of fish they lose in quarantine, as every day you can read about an issue, as well as sadly read about fish deaths in unquarantined tanks... the answer isn’t black and white... if you are mad enough/ have to, buy fish through mailorder, without seeing its health first, if it’s eating, how is it behaving then I think your asking for trouble... I don’t quarantine anything at all but I hand pick everything that goes into my tank and take my time doing it...

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am curious about how long the process of quarantining has been used in the hobby and how many of the long term hobbyists employ some sort of quarantine process. By long term I mean 20+ years. Looks like it's time for another poll mods!! On another note, I really don't believe that the majority of people posting on forums are totally honest about actual losses using both methods. Just my opinion.

Saltfishonly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious about how long the process of quarantining has been used in the hobby and how many of the long term hobbyists employ some sort of quarantine process. By long term I mean 20+ years. Looks like it's time for another poll mods!! On another note, I really don't believe that the majority of people posting on forums are totally honest about actual losses using both methods. Just my opinion.

I understand what you’re saying it is hard to believe between both methods the percentage of loss..but you don’t believe it until you experience it yourself and research it and really think deep about it....you got to understand too what these fish go through “the process “ of getting to us that is stress enough from point a where ever they came from..lets say Hawaii for example fish are collected thrown into buckets then picked up,and measure them..then they are thrown in a bag,then they are shipped to the main distributor for that island then they are not fed for 4 days thrown in another bag to get to the wholesalers btw they fly for 2 or 3 days lol..get to our wholesalers get out of the bag and then finally to the LFS then us..these fish is already hanging off a thread...so to minimize stress is one BIG play factor here in order to get them to eat and have a chance....

Maybe I rambled a little my bad...I’m not saying QT is bad I think it’s more preference and also experience of understanding they’re immune system a lot of hobbyist will not research anything..they will watch a YouTube channel and buy a tank and put what ever they would like in there without thinking..and also you have the ones that like to cut corners....my dad was in the hobby since the 80’s I don’t remember much but he never QT he did make mistakes but learned from them and balanced everything out...I wish I paid much more attention to his methods when I had the chance to.

I loved Paul’s thread I think it’s great to show newbies how to bring fish in a stress free environment

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not black and white.

I quarantine but my QT tank is more of a conditioning tank, it has live rock and macro algae...and pretty much looks exactly like a DT would (just no corals) whereas others QT everything with pvc and copper.

I use a conditioning tank to overfeed the fish and make sure they are healthy and robust before adding to my DT. It has been wonderful for more picky fish from leopard wrasse to yellow-stripe clingfish which may need special attention to detail and training to foods free from competition of a busy reef tank.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It obviously works. He's been running the same tank for over 40 years.

I do not quarantine. I simply do not have the space to set up another system. And don't give me "it's temporary", I see threads about MONTHS of quarantine, that's not temporary.

Maybe if people stopped buying fish without seeing them the issues with sick fish would decrease.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the pros and cons of both sides
For not quarentening you have less stress on the fish and it dosnt require a quarentene tank
For quarentening you don’t have risk of disease outbreaks in your display tank and you can make sure the fish is eating

At the end of the day both are valid approaches it’s up to the individual what they decide to do

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 99.99% of tanks have ich and other things in them, so most people are operating like he does. Only when water quality goes down or stress occurs, does it it visibly show itself and start killing things. If you look at what is really required to make sure you don't get ich...it is a lot. A coral tank for incoming inverts and corals that is in a different room from the display, so that they can sit for several months. Another tank in a 3rd room for fish, where they are treated with copper for a few months. Almost no one does it to make sure 100% they are free of disease.
You mention having the quarantine tanks in another room. Why is that?, I haven’t heard of airborne ich yet

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just place my new incoming fish in low salinity (1.011) for 14 days and feed them fenbednazole soaked food for 3 of those days..that takes care of most things i worry about.
then I follow pauls suggestion of :lots of live and or fresh foods and clam of course.Paul is spot on with his feeding regimen.It does build up the fishes immunity,I can attest to that.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention having the quarantine tanks in another room. Why is that?, I haven’t heard of airborne ich yet
There can be some airborne transmission in the form of parasites being transported through droplets of water. I can’t remember how far though.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There can be some airborne transmission in the form of parasites being transported through droplets of water. I can’t remember how far though.
Interesting, I imagine they could only transport as far as the droplet goes which if you have a cover should only be a few inches at most

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back