Do you consider yourself a successful acropora keeper?

Are you a successful acropora keeper?

• YES

Votes: 105 38.7%
  • NO

Votes: 84 31.0%
  • Haven't tried yet

Votes: 65 24.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

ComfortRacing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow (probably shear luck) i have no issues w/Acros but i cant keep GSP alive if my life depended on it! I have been told by others that is a good thing!!

“thats a bold strategy Cotton” - Announcer in Dodgeball the movie

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need help i keep my numbers in check and i went to my lfs the other day my corals which were a beautiful green color on them just the last few days they are turning white mind you its green on top and white underneith i do clean the tank alost or just about evry 5 days is it possible that keeping the tank too clean sometimes my nitrate are 10 most of the time it's around 5maybe a hair more ca 420 alk alk at 10 amonia 0 nitrite 0water 124 so if anyone know whats going on i could use the help my tank is 75 gallons cold it be too much cleanig the tank just don't know i could use what ever you can tell me thankks Gary

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes even though I was having minor and major hiccups, I managed to grow, transform colors and frag acros successfully for almost 2 years now. But I know for sure that any equipment failure or unexpected issues such as bad/low quality of a batch of salt bucket, food/supplements or bacterial infections and so many other reasons that I am aware and unaware of can set me back to day1.

In this hoppy we do our best to control the variables and minimize the unknowns by learning from our mistakes, researching, exchanging our experiences (the good and the bad ones). Yet, we still have a long way to go.

Here is a picture of one of my favorite acros

20220608_221345.jpg

Last edited:

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is key for Acro growing. Once I stopped chasing numbers and tweaking every little thing and just let it go, things started to grow very fast. Here is a before and after.
IMG_20210114_182036_12.jpg

IMG_20220602_184845_05.jpg

Paulandreti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I would say OTHER..... It´s been quite graphic for me the knowledge picture shared on this thread, I had a lot of success at the beggining and started buying more and more, then a huge crash, then another one, then ...... learned the hard way, and now I´m doing well, still persistent on SPS going one step at the time.

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started growing sps in 2004 and things have changed a lot lol. Alk targets and nutrient targets were way different back then. Stability is one of the biggest key factors especially with Alk. IMO Sps hate Alk swings and you will see the trauma/effects for a long period of time after an event. I attribute a lot of my success, especially with my current tank, to switching back to T5. Just my preference but I love the blanket of light and how even it is across the entire tank. It also prevents you from "tinkering" with the settings i.e. the stability argument. Raising nutrients has also been key especially for color. I like PO3 around .03-.05 but I like Nitrates between 10-20. I do get more algae growth but consider it totally worth it. For reference, I have a 60g cube with an 8 bulb ati T5 and 2 xho blue led strips. Lots of light is important for SPS and the more flow the better in my opinion. I run 2 mp40 at around 75% most of the day in anti-sync mode. This tank was grown from frags that were added 18 months ago. Sorry not sure why the pic is so blurry. Taken with my phone. Just added some older top downs too.

IMG_3586.jpg
IMG_1156.PNG
IMG_1163.PNG
IMG_1164.PNG
IMG_1607.JPG

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started growing sps in 2004 and things have changed a lot lol. Alk targets and nutrient targets were way different back then. Stability is one of the biggest key factors especially with Alk. IMO Sps hate Alk swings and you will see the trauma/effects for a long period of time after an event. I attribute a lot of my success, especially with my current tank, to switching back to T5. Just my preference but I love the blanket of light and how even it is across the entire tank. It also prevents you from "tinkering" with the settings i.e. the stability argument. Raising nutrients has also been key especially for color. I like PO3 around .03-.05 but I like Nitrates between 10-20. I do get more algae growth but consider it totally worth it. For reference, I have a 60g cube with an 8 bulb ati T5 and 2 xho blue led strips. Lots of light is important for SPS and the more flow the better in my opinion. I run 2 mp40 at around 75% most of the day in anti-sync mode. This tank was grown from frags that were added 18 months ago. Sorry not sure why the pic is so blurry. Taken with my phone. Just added some older top downs too.

IMG_3586.jpg
IMG_1156.PNG
IMG_1163.PNG
IMG_1164.PNG
IMG_1607.JPG
Amazing 18 month growth!

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never able to keep acro's or any SPS until I realized the #1 key is low nutrients!! I keep PO4 at .04 and NO3 < 2... it's amazing why everyone keeps saying high flow, high lighting... yes, true, but I feel like those help, but if you start having high nutrients, the stuff will just start to look bad and die.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Other" ...I couldn't keep anything in my 125 with all the fish/nutrients/evil hermits & urchins so I gave up & made it fowlr. Moved the corals to a 13 5 nano. Suddenly everything was doing better. Figured I'd try a few sps frags from recent live sales. And to my amazement nothing has died. Is that successful? Comparatively, I guess? I'll let you know in a year or two. Side note, I have never actually purchased an urchin. Now I have 3 huge ones and a new baby. *sigh* my rocks are very very clean.

Last edited:

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I have learned, read and absorbed the worse I have become! Too much messing about with things. Currently at despair level with a bacterial issue with SPS. Total nightmare.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great luck, then poor luck, and now am doing well with them. Problem now is finding room for them in the display.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back