Do You Have a "Basement Business"?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people grow coral frags. Some do it to trade, some to sell, and some for fun. I started a coral frag/retail side business last year to sell at local frag swaps. Yes, I grow frags in my basement. While I can never take the financial leap that many full time coral farms have done, there are still other areas I think "basement coral" growers can be beneficial. Like supplying a LFS for instance. What do you think of basement corals?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'm slowly delving into this side of things. i don't expect to get another tank(i don't have the space :(), but more so like "waves" of available frags. i solely am doing it for the sake of keeping up with ALK consumption with intentions to put what i make back into the tank in form of stability and or more corals/equipment. once i get to a good enough spot i'll start using it to buy backup equipment or higher end stuff like lights(i'm looking at you quanta and reefi!!) i have also provided my LFS with frags too, for store credit which i end up using to buy frag plugs and things to keep recycling.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people grow coral frags. Some do it to trade, some to sell, and some for fun. I started a coral frag/retail side business last year to sell at local frag swaps. Yes, I grow frags in my basement. While I can never take the financial leap that many full time coral farms have done, there are still other areas I think "basement coral" growers can be beneficial. Like supplying a LFS for instance. What do you think of basement corals?
I like your basement corals, wish I could get some of them here in Canada. that's a long canoe ride lol

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thats what i do. But all i end up doing is making a small dent in the cost of the hobby or just giving myself an excuse to spend more, lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It's a fine balance for us here as a platform because we have to be respectful to our paying sponsors but I believe "basement corals" are essential to the health of the hobby. Nice question!

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i do. But all i end up doing is making a small dent in the cost of the hobby or just giving myself an excuse to spend more, lol
Yeah, same here. It helps buy some reefing equipment, but I also like to see the Reefers at the shows, regardless of how much money I make. I sometimes give some colonies and frags to my LFS, as I whole heartedly support them too.

A lot of the big names in coral started out this way as well. I think there is a place for everyone as long as we learn from and respect each other.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your basement corals, wish I could get some of them here in Canada. that's a long canoe ride lol
I'll meet ya halfway, as I don't ship. If only I had a boat. :grinning-squinting-face:
The Bridge Water GIF by The Bridge Australia

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fine balance for us here as a platform because we have to be respectful to our paying sponsors but I believe "basement corals" are essential to the health of the hobby. Nice question!
I think there is a place for everyone in reefing if we all learn to respect and support each other. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree too! It helps keep local communities alive and the joy of the hobby in the community.

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love the idea and it is exactly how we started out, we took the leap and went full throttle into business within a few years. We no longer sell coral (paused it, have lots of it but for display only) as we found the love and passion of coral support like copepods and phyto etc; and only so many hours in the day ( so the wives keep telling us)!!!

we fully support basement businesses as they help keep the box stores and big guys out of the clouds for the prices they try to charge!

Keep up the good work!!!

Shevlin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve been thinking about doing the same. I have to do some serious clipping of my aceo’s and would expect to get 30 or 40 Frags when i’m done.

I guess I have two choices either throw them away or put them on a Facebook group sale or trade them in to the local Fish store…… I don’t like taking away from the people that do it as a primary business but at the same time why throw them in the trash…

just thinking out loud at this point.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been thinking about doing the same. I have to do some serious clipping of my aceo’s and would expect to get 30 or 40 Frags when i’m done.

I guess I have two choices either throw them away or put them on a Facebook group sale or trade them in to the local Fish store…… I don’t like taking away from the people that do it as a primary business but at the same time why throw them in the trash…

just thinking out loud at this point.
Trading them in at a lfs is a great way to get store credit. Plus you help the owners by supplying them with aquacultured coral.

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 100%, don’t throw away, that’s just sad. There is Always someone who is willing to trade either neighbor or lfs or even eBay sales if you’re ok shipping coral(it’s a little tricky but not rocket science). There are enough hobbyists out there, you won’t bother those who depend on the business; especially if it’s just in waves as you have “extra”.

useer10202820

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick is keeping on top of it. Also ensure you do it the right way. See so many people get a license and just start flipping stuff as soon as they get it. Alot of dead coral that way. Some then wonder why customers wont buy from them again.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have a basement

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back