Do you have a problem with Fiji pink?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a problem with Fiji pink sand on a sps dominated tank? I am still waiting for my Jebao wave makers to arrive to test them out. I am thinking if it does flies around, I can put some special grade on top. Will this stop the flying sand?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put special grade on top, then you will see special grade on top and side and only see fiji pink on the side since they are buried. Why not just get special grade then instead?

I have Fiji pink 100% in my tank and they do blow around if I start increasing the flow more. I don't plan to have SPS dominant tank.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put special grade on top, then you will see special grade on top and side and only see fiji pink on the side since they are buried. Why not just get special grade then instead?

I have Fiji pink 100% in my tank and they do blow around if I start increasing the flow more. I don't plan to have SPS dominant tank.
Well, I already have 60lb of live Fiji pink in with the rocks so I am trying not to take everything out. I have 40lb of special grade brand new in the bag that I initially bought but though it was too big of grains for goby.
So now, I want to see if anyone had same experience and it worked.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it works great, its the #1 sand used in our 30 page sand rinse thread.

if you pre rinse all sand before use, using tap water then ro water, then its perfect for use (cloudless) and doesnt fly all around even in pretty strong flow. the oolite mixes will, rinsed fiji pink is great sand.

pre rinsing doenst harm anything, or we wouldnt be out to 30 pages with great looking tanks :)

to not pre rinsed it earns no benefit whatsoever; it makes for a sandbed where even light disturbance weeks after settling kicks up the dust cloud and in some tanks kicks it up to total opaque blockout (some of the presentations in our work thread)

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I already have 60lb of live Fiji pink in with the rocks so I am trying not to take everything out. I have 40lb of special grade brand new in the bag that I initially bought but though it was too big of grains for goby.
So now, I want to see if anyone had same experience and it worked.

I see. I didn't see this on the your first post.

Yeah I think taking some of the substrate out might disrupt the stability of your tank. I don't know how long it has been running, but you can state that on this thread.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it works great, its the #1 sand used in our 30 page sand rinse thread.

if you pre rinse all sand before use, using tap water then ro water, then its perfect for use (cloudless) and doesnt fly all around even in pretty strong flow. the oolite mixes will, rinsed fiji pink is great sand.

pre rinsing doenst harm anything, or we wouldnt be out to 30 pages with great looking tanks :)

to not pre rinsed it earns no benefit whatsoever; it makes for a sandbed where even light disturbance weeks after settling kicks up the dust cloud and in some tanks kicks it up to total opaque blockout (some of the presentations in our work thread)
Great, that kinda give me some relief. I lightly rinsed them with old tank water, one bucket per 20lb bag. I use a net, scoop a cup of sand in the net then rinse it in the bucket, then repeat. With 60lb, I ended up with about 5lb Settling in bottom (I didn’t put those in as they are smaller grain size) Hope this helped.

do you mind share the link to the 30 page threat?

46DCFF24-B41A-48DD-91DB-CFDC170469B2.jpeg

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I didn't see this on the your first post.

Yeah I think taking some of the substrate out might disrupt the stability of your tank. I don't know how long it has been running, but you can state that on this thread.
The sands are in for only a few days so I am not worry that. My biggest concern is no sand flying around.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Fiji pink in my 120 gal SPS tank without a problem. Not easily blown away by wavemakers. Good size particles in my opinion.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back