Do You Have a Reefing Partner?

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers! I was wondering if you have anyone in your home or family that enjoys the reefing hobby with you? For me, it is just myself that "reefs", as none of my family members are into it. I have heard myths that some people's spouses actually enjoy reefing with them too. Is that true? :grinning-face-with-sweat:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife helps out with the tank a lot, but I think she looks at it more as "indentured servitude" than anything else, lol. She enjoys sitting and watching the fish the most. My son likes to help out feeding the fish.

Our Australian Cattle Dog provides invaluable QA, sampling various types of seaweed to ensure freshness. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my GF gives me a hard time but is into fish keeping, she doesnt complain that i go to fish stores almost every weekend and that i have about a dozen tanks running right now.

she has 1 small one, 56 gal but had a 125 and a 90. shes more into goldies tho.

amiguel6510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband was the one who got into reefing, I fell in love with it a few years later. Now I'm more into it than he is for sure :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
My son enjoys helping me do maintenance occasionally, but everyone enjoys looking at the tank

TinyReef522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband helps with water making and transporting up the steps...simply because he did not trust me not to flood the first floor of the house while making water. Other than that no interest.

trapphd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ex-wife wasn't necessarily interested in it, but she loved the yellow watchman goby and his grouchy perpetual frown. She would imitate it occasionally ... which was funny but also, yeah, she was crazy (for good and bad).

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers! I was wondering if you have anyone in your home or family that enjoys the reefing hobby with you? For me, it is just myself that "reefs", as none of my family members are into it. I have heard myths that some people's spouses actually enjoy reefing with them too. Is that true? :grinning-face-with-sweat:
My cousin! Fell in love with his tank a while back and wanted one! I came from having freshwater tanks my whole life but a reef is so stunning. I decided to give it ago and Im in love it my fish and corals

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, and not for lack of trying. A lot of people are interested in it when they see what I do for a hobby. They ask questions. Then quickly they become overwhelmed with information and say, "Can I just come look at yours?"

Every now and again, somebody ask real questions because they are actually interested. Then they start in on the dreaming phase. Once that starts and the equipment cost stacks up, they say "You really spent all this? When you said fish tank. I thought it meant go guy one of those kits at petsmart".

I discourage some of them on purpose.

You poor saps are my reefing buddy's. You are the ones who get it shoved into their line of sight from me.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cousin! Fell in love with his tank a while back and wanted one! I came from having freshwater tanks my whole life but a reef is so stunning. I decided to give it ago and Im in love it my fish and corals
He just is someone I bounce ideas off of, as far as reefing Im in it alone. My BF asks about a fish here and there and asks about adding one he wants but as far as everything else thats all me

Rockit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife... she just signed up as Missquoted1 here. She's about to retire and is getting far more involved in the hobby.
She hated my turtles I had when we moved in together. She wanted a "pretty & peaceful" aquarium. We went to the store and I let her choose. She kept picking marine fish, so we just jumped in and did it. That was late 2017. We now have 4 tanks.
It's all her fault.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest son and I are into reefing, but he’s into video games more than reefing. That said, he’s been testing & dosing (now) his RS 250 mixed reef. His tank has a full trident setup + pretty much all Ecotech Marine stuff. He’s a techie so monitors the tank himself. We frag acros together on weekends to seed his tank so he gets a kick out of it.

My wife enjoys looking at the tank but doesn’t appreciate all the sticks. She wants a mixed reef with more motion. She’s into nems, torches, and zoas - and fish. That’s why I’m building another tank for her (ok, that’s a lie)

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my girlfriend helped me build my tank from the ground up, i rarely go to my fish store without her. although she isn’t as involved as i am, she still helps out with water changes and maintenance

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back