Do you have tank inhabitants that freak you out?

Do you have tank inhabitants that freak you out?

• Yes

Votes: 74 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 24 16.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is a little creepy if ya ask me. Usually only see parts of his legs sticking out of rock during the day but caught this late last night.
Is that a micro brittle star? They are so cute but you're right about their creepy nature. They hide in and under things so all you usually see are legs fluttering in the current. How did evolution ever create these guys? :) It's like someone fell asleep at the test tube while mixing up the DNA combo for these guys and they forgot to add some to the vial. :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My decorator crab is as big as a tarantula. It only comes out at night and it blends in to the rockwork extremley well which results in a big shock when I finally recognize the shape.
Holy cow, that's crazy! That's a big crab! Try to post a pic of you can. I didn't think they got that big.

mcgallagherc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a micro brittle star? They are so cute but you're right about their creepy nature. They hide in and under things so all you usually see are legs fluttering in the current. How did evolution ever create these guys? :) It's like someone fell asleep at the test tube while mixing up the DNA combo for these guys and they forgot to add some to the vial. :)

Micro? Not so sure what size qualifies them but it's probably 4.5-6 inches from arm to arm. We've seem him a handful of times, usually when up late and lights off. We have found ends of his tentacles detached and laying around.

20220618_210350.jpg 20220618_210436.jpg 20220618_210752.jpg 20220618_210810.jpg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro? Not so sure what size qualifies them but it's probably 4.5-6 inches from arm to arm. We've seem him a handful of times, usually when up late and lights off. We have found ends of his tentacles detached and laying around.

20220618_210350.jpg 20220618_210436.jpg 20220618_210752.jpg 20220618_210810.jpg
That's definitely not a micro. Haha. The micro guys are the size of a dime but they have the same behavior. I usually just see arms (or are they legs), poking out from under things. LOL

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OMG! That is one of the freakiest things I have seen! I don't know if you watch horror movies but this looks a lot like Stephen King's The Mist where tentacles come out of nowhere to grab people! Haha. Is that just one serpent star? I'm going to have nightmares after seeing that. LOL

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! That is one of the freakiest things I have seen! I don't know if you watch horror movies but this looks a lot like Stephen King's The Mist where tentacles come out of nowhere to grab people! Haha. Is that just one serpent star? I'm going to have nightmares after seeing that. LOL
One serpent and one brittle. The brittle lives in the glass bottle. The serpent live up in the rocks

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One serpent and one brittle. The brittle lives in the glass bottle. The serpent live up in the rocks
That is priceless! I managed to get a couple micro brittle stars as hitchhikers on a coral frag and they do the same thing but because they're so tiny it's not nearly as creepy. LOL

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is priceless! I managed to get a couple micro brittle stars as hitchhikers on a coral frag and they do the same thing but because they're so tiny it's not nearly as creepy. LOL
Atleast you can see your micros! I think mine wound up dead at this point they’re so small.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atleast you can see your micros! I think mine wound up dead at this point they’re so small.
I feel your pain. I once sucked mine up with the gravel cleaner (thank goodness I checked the bucket before dumping it) and another time he got swished out in the bucket when I was cleaning my baggie of filter media (thank goodness I checked the bucket that time as well). I find doing maintenance a bit stressful now. LOL I envy the member that found a bazillion of them in the filter sock although maybe I would be freaked out by that many of them and I would be posting them here. Haha.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my tank I have to admit to getting really nervous putting my hands in there. The first time my clown bit me I must have thrown a good few litres of water on the floor by ripping my arm out like lightning. Not so nervous now although I always have to check the whereabouts of my 3 black long spine urchins before venturing around behind rocks. I had a numb finger for weeks after I snapped one of his spines off in my finger.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my tank I have to admit to getting really nervous putting my hands in there. The first time my clown bit me I must have thrown a good few litres of water on the floor by ripping my arm out like lightning. Not so nervous now although I always have to check the whereabouts of my 3 black long spine urchins before venturing around behind rocks. I had a numb finger for weeks after I snapped one of his spines off in my finger.
Elsa my maroon hates my yand unless it's feeding time

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya. I've had a few encounters with my hand dislodging gobs of water from the tank as I've quickly removed it. The walls and floor around my tank are exceptionally clean. :) Those clowns and urchins are sneaky little guys. They would definitely make me wary of putting my hand in the tank.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If clowns where the size of sharks we would never go into the ocean.
So true but from reading how people describe their clowns I think one normal size clown equals one great white shark! LOL I can just envision that scene where the three main characters are on the boat and instead of this huge great white coming out of the water it's replaced with a clownfish with its mouth open and teeth showing then they cut to the guys with the look of horror showing on their faces (insert Jaws theme here). Haha. I need to recut that film. I will be taking casting calls from members and their clownfish. LOL

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true but from reading how people describe their clowns I think one normal size clown equals one great white shark! LOL I can just envision that scene where the three main characters are on the boat and instead of this huge great white coming out of the water it's replaced with a clownfish with its mouth open and teeth showing then they cut to the guys with the look of horror showing on their faces (insert Jaws theme here). Haha. I need to recut that film. I will be taking casting calls from members and their clownfish. LOL
Elsa tried to rip flesh off my finger yesterday. To be fair I was removing a nem.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elsa tried to rip flesh off my finger yesterday. To be fair I was removing a nem.
In that case it's definitely all your fault. Never mess with a nem when a clownfish is on patrol. LOL You see, ripping flesh sounds like another Jaws moving in the making. Jaws 10: Attack of the Clownfish. Haha.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back