Do you leave your local fish store disappointed? Why is that?

Do you ever leave your local fish store disappointed?

• Yes all the time

Votes: 379 35.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 541 50.0%
  • Never

Votes: 92 8.5%
  • I don't have a LFS

Votes: 53 4.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 1.5%

• Total voters

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are the most disappointing aspects that make a local fish store bad or makes you leave disappointed? (no names please)
Customer service is hit or miss, too many Mr. Know It Alls working there w attitude.

2. Do you have an amazing LFS near you and if so why are they great? Yes, quality livestock

dstevenstn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general I've been happy, but I try to get live brine there and they have had some supply issues.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two local fish stores border an hour drive in the east and west directions both of them are very nice good stores I do most of my shopping online now just because of the convenience of it not having to 2 Drive I give both them five stars though very knowledgeable very helpful couldn't be happier with the services they have provided me

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first LFS to carry saltwater in the area I have never got along with. The owner is abrasive. Both fish and corals almost always have pest issues. A second store opened and I shifted all of my business to him. 5ish years great store, but he wasn't able to keep the doors open for COVID.

Sigh.

I am totally fine with ordering everything from BRS and Battlecorals than give the first shop more money. I honestly think the area would be better off if shop A went under.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two local stores, and they are disappointing for different reasons:

1) I trust the first entirely. But they are a small, struggling store that frequently struggle to get in livestock, even if special ordered. Finding what I want from them can take months.

2) A much bigger local store is very nice, but they keep their fish systems at some insanely low salt level to arrest disease, and fish don't do well adjusting back and forth. I stopped buying fish from them completely, and only buy from the coral tanks that stay at 1.024

ricksmithsdca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an awesome thing to have a local fish store that carries healthy fish, beautiful coral and all the supplies that you need! But in reality this isn't a reality for must of us. We all know there are MANY of these amazing local fish stores in the world, they exist, but for most of us it's not the truth. :( So what is so disappointing about a lot of these stores? Let's talk about it today!

1. What are the most disappointing aspects that make a local fish store bad or makes you leave disappointed? (no names please)

2. Do you have an amazing LFS near you and if so why are they great?

@TopShelfAquatics store
IMG_4686.JPEG
I live in southern california. I have so many quality local fish stores. In addition, I am willing to pay a little extra in order to support these local fish stores which I think goes a long way.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never, I am pretty lucky that I have stores like @WWC and @TopShelfAquatics near me. Both companies have professional staffs and are very helpful and courteous.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I can go home one of these days I’m gonna make a Chinese LFS experience thread. The one that’s helping me with the setup of my tank don’t have the best selection of livestock, some of the fish I want I’ll have to look elsewhere or order online. The PJ Cardinal, Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns, YT Blue Damsels and Black Axil Chromis (C. Viridis doesn’t look good to me) they’ll likely have on a regular basis / at all times. Their selection of dwarf angels, Gobies, Blennies and other types is limited.

Also harder to get access to most tropical Atlantic species here. We get Royal Grammas semi-regularly, Blackcaps sporadically and seasonally, Swissguards very occasionally, Lantern Basslets, Chalk Bass etc. I have never seen a single retailer have them in stock.

Deciding between a CB or Flameback as my dwarf angel. Most of their CBs come from the Phillies rather than Indonesia or even better, Fiji, so cyanide poisoning is a huge risk.

The hobby in China is maybe a bit more than 15 years old. That’s less than the lifespan of a Clownfish.

I wonder if in LFS terms whether it’s the norm to be “monogamous”? The two guys that run this LFS store seem pretty nice, but they just don’t have all the stuff I want. Like I would be their patron if not for the fact I may have to get a couple of fish elsewhere.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Orlando we have the best LFStores around. I don’t think I’ve ever left TSA or WWC disappointed. If I need something they will order it and if I want something they will cut it. These guys are top notch. I/We feel very spoiled in Orlando. We at least I hope I speak for the rest. Just the way I feel!!! :D

I visited Orlando about a year ago and was extremely disappointed. The stores I went to were nice, the tanks were clean but the prices made me LOL.

I had to ask the guy what "PP" meant. It was exactly what I thought it meant. They like their coral a heck of a lot more than I do.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a really great LFS in nearby Raleigh, I seldom ever am disappointed when I visit them. They have a wonderful selection of fish and inverts, and I usually come home happy after going there.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have anything in stock when it comes to coral and fish don't look good. I would love to have a good store in the Baltimore, MD area.

Spiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually posted here on this topic and unfortunately most everyone agreed. I moved to DFW a little over a year ago and proceeded to visit as many LFS as I could. Pathetic. Terrible or no selection, unhealthy fish, valonia, aptasia, etc., etc. There is one store that did have healthy livestock, but hardly any fish and small coral selection. Nearly 8MM people in the DFW metroplex and we had a store 300% better in freakin Omaha, NE! So I'm an internet buyer. Sad

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In charleston wv lfs are horrible. When Petco is the best one in the area. That being said Petco is not too bad here. The only lfs is horrid. Tanks covered in cyano and no fish in them. Tanks covered in algea with no fish in them. They have only had a couple clownfish since covid started. Dry goods are minimal. They only carry coral life skimmers and cheap pumps. 40$ marine land pumps. It could be a great store but 0 care. Freshwater side is hit and miss.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow Canadian who left Canada 2 years ago and came back to Asia, didn’t know that the situation in Canada would be so dire.

There was a Big Al’s when I was a kid growing up in Richmond, BC and well, my first foray into saltwater was thinking I could keep an Ocellaris Clownfish alive in a goldfish bowl with some sand and a basic air pump. You can pretty much guess how that went. Was 9 at the time.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't figured out why these stores don't keep livestock and corals in stock at all? I give up going after 3-4 times and there tanks are bare.

CarolinaCultured

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to support my LFS but the two within 45 min if me do not always have the healthiest looking fish. When I see dead fish in the bottom of a tank more than a couple times, I usually just part ways there. They do not QT fish at either. Often times I can order from an online retailer that does QT, that has WYSIWYG fish, more variety, and delivered to my house.

Another frustration with the LFS near me is odd hours. One is Tues - Sat, 12-6, one is Wed - Sunday 3-8.

I do have one LFS that is 1.5 hrs from me that has ordered very nice, very healthy fish for me and I plan to get more from them but they want pickup the day the fish are delivered and they are 1.5 hrs away so that makes it very difficult.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is 30 minutes away, has limited hours, limited selection, but decent prices. The other is closer, better hours, better selection, but high prices.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a non chain local pet store....one hour drive. The do pet supplies and livestock like lizards, snakes, land inverts, small birds, little fuzzy mammals and sometimes a rescue cat or two.

They have an aisle of goldfish, fancy to feeders, an indoor koi pond, an aisle of freshwater with various plants and a saltwater aisle.

It has been under new management for several years and it hasn't gotten better. I think most of the old staff is gone. The place has been in business at least since the mid 1990's.

If I was in there for a new hobby like freshwater or a lizard terrarium , I'd get a little excited since they do have a selection of stuff a little different than the chain stores and some nice little desktop displays.

For saltwater the selection is poor and truthfully the whole system could use a reset. They have red algae and the cheap green palys taking over parts of their display and frag tanks.

It is really hit or miss on corals I want to buy, prices are comparable to what I can find from online vendors. Small favias for $40, disc of zoas $15 to $30, very little in SPS.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back