Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manage a front desk at a hotel, and as a second job, I am a front desk clerk. I absolutely love my job. I get to help people from all over the world to enjoy what is for many, a once in a lifetime vacation. My personal favorite thing to have happen is get a person who is extra cranky and stressed make them laugh and be happy. I understand, vacations are stressful. Especially since we are 5 hours from any and everything. Travelling is hard, and people want everything to be perfect on vacation, yet it seldomly is. Being able to help people on a daily basis makes me happy. I have worked all kinds of jobs, IT tech in the 90s, fast food, bartending, serving, and many more. I have made tons of money and bought whatever I wanted and travelled all over the place, but I hated those jobs. I make less now, hence the two jobs, but I love coming into work. It is sometimes less stressful than my reef tank.
What's your job?
Why or why don't you love it?
What is your dream job?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manage a front desk at a hotel, and as a second job, I am a front desk clerk. I absolutely love my job. I get to help people from all over the world to enjoy what is for many, a once in a lifetime vacation. My personal favorite thing to have happen is get a person who is extra cranky and stressed make them laugh and be happy. I understand, vacations are stressful. Especially since we are 5 hours from any and everything. Travelling is hard, and people want everything to be perfect on vacation, yet it seldomly is. Being able to help people on a daily basis makes me happy. I have worked all kinds of jobs, IT tech in the 90s, fast food, bartending, serving, and many more. I have made tons of money and bought whatever I wanted and travelled all over the place, but I hated those jobs. I make less now, hence the two jobs, but I love coming into work. It is sometimes less stressful than my reef tank.
What's your job?
Why or why don't you love it?
What is your dream job?
You are lucky you enjoy your job.
Many people consider it a means to an end as they might have financial constraints that don't allow other choices.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my job. I am an AbA therapist. I grew up with a brother on the spectrum and have had to watch and experience the struggle of trying to get him the help he needs. It feels really good knowing I’m someone who can provide the very same help to others.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current - HVAC account/program manager for a utility demand reduction program with a background in building science and building materials. These days my interest is drifting towards sustainable building practices, passive house standards, and net zero to net positive homes utilizing renewables.

Not loving it b/c my portion of the program got folded into a larger program and marginalized. Since I am the only one in the program team with HVAC knowledge I am the only one who cares about it or knows enough to make educated decisions but I'm not the one making decisions. I spin my wheels A LOT.

Dream job - going back to school and double majoring in Wildlife & Forestry Management/Biology and Rangeland management. That way I can do some cool work in the conservation field and pair conservation with sustainable ranching/grazing practices.

I've never been one for traditional jobs and am not a fan of sitting in an office but that's the way my career has gone. I'd rather be working with my hands, outdoors, making something but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my job. I am an AbA therapist. I grew up with a brother on the spectrum and have had to watch and experience the struggle of trying to get him the help he needs. It feels really good knowing I’m someone who can provide the very same help to others.
My youngest son has autism and while it’s difficult sometimes were fortunate that we are local to the Treffert center where he receives world-class support.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a network engineer who has worked for many Fortune 500+ companies either directly or through contracts.... Boils down to personalities. The work is basically the same just depends if you enjoy who you’re dealing with.
I get that. I recently quit a hotel because of the new manager. He was long on promisees and short on follow through.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Personal trainer! I love it! What better job than to tell people what to do all day ;Woot just kidding kinda....dream job? Hmmm I really envy those people that have their own shows and just travel the world eating different foods....I’d love to do that !

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current - HVAC account/program manager for a utility demand reduction program with a background in building science and building materials. These days my interest is drifting towards sustainable building practices, passive house standards, and net zero to net positive homes utilizing renewables.

Not loving it b/c my portion of the program got folded into a larger program and marginalized. Since I am the only one in the program team with HVAC knowledge I am the only one who cares about it or knows enough to make educated decisions but I'm not the one making decisions. I spin my wheels A LOT.

Dream job - going back to school and double majoring in Wildlife & Forestry Management/Biology and Rangeland management. That way I can do some cool work in the conservation field and pair conservation with sustainable ranching/grazing practices.

I've never been one for traditional jobs and am not a fan of sitting in an office but that's the way my career has gone. I'd rather be working with my hands, outdoors, making something but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.
I looked into that when I was in college. I do agree that I might have made a mistake not taking that path, but now I live in some of the most beautiful places on earth. Nothing like living and working in and around national parks.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Personal trainer! I love it! What better job than to tell people what to do all day ;Woot just kidding kinda....dream job? Hmmm I really envy those people that have their own shows and just travel the world eating different foods....I’d love to do that !
Except for Amdrew Zimmerman. I've eaten a lot of strange things, but I will not swallow a live octopus. Guy Fieri was here for a restaraunt. It was cool for a second.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into that when I was in college. I do agree that I might have made a mistake not taking that path, but now I live in some of the most beautiful places on earth. Nothing like living and working in and around national parks.

100% I should have recognized that was the path I should have taken when Environmental Science was the only college course I ever got an 'A' in! Living in Wyoming and being having always been an outdoors person it just seemed like the right fit.

Going back to school now doesn't seem like the right choice since the debt I would acquire would never get paid off working in that field. Even worse I just finished paying my 1st set of loans off 18 years later and I don't even have a degree!

As the saying goes...It is what it is.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for Amdrew Zimmerman. I've eaten a lot of strange things, but I will not swallow a live octopus. Guy Fieri was here for a restaraunt. It was cool for a second.
Haha you are correct!! Unlike most of them I probably would not consume everything and be a tad more picky :D

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to choose, yes I love my job. My days can being really hard in the field. I'm an electrician for an Energy/Automotive company and we ran 16 day steam above 90 degrees F this year. In the end, the hard work and doing something really good is very satisfying.
Yes. Hard work is great when you get that feeling of accomplishment. My dad and I owned a cabinet shop in Mississippi for a few years. 100 degrees and humidity, but it was amazing to look at the finished product.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha you are correct!! Unlike most of them I probably would not consume everything and be a tad more picky :D
I love the gas light district in San Diego. The Brazilian BBQ plac is one of my all time favorite places to eat. And the little old lady in the museum in Balboa park who makes the flat bread for you.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My opinion, the only thing keeping a dream from being reality is you. I went back to college to finish my degree at 36 with a 3.9 GPA (you’d think an accounting professor would understanding how to round). You can do it if it’s important to you.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back