Do you miss an old tank?

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I decided to sell our house in March 2020. We broke down our 93 gallon cube at that time and began a year long process of setting up a temporary holding tank and then establishing a new system.

That 93 cube was my first aquarium and it seemed to just be easy… things grew, no sickness, easy to maintain.

I was lucky with my first tank, it has not been that easy since the move.

I miss my first tank.

23EBFA66-49BB-4A54-9BEC-576FFCAB8F77.jpeg

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually miss my very first marine fish tank. It was only 10 gallons but for some reason I have very distinct memories like how the lighting looked and the sound of the filter and air pump. Since it was my first foray into saltwater fish it was fascinating to see how much different the behavior of marine fish is compared to freshwater, and I think because of that I was actually pretty attached to my fish. I used to just sit there and watch my fish interact.

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss all me early tanks. It was the most exciting thing in the world for me to get a big aquarium, especially Marine tank. I look back and miss the joy of buying my first few fish, even my cycling damsels lol. I try to picture what the tank looked like and what inhabitants I had. On my 17th tank since I started in 2000

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a basic 55g with fish that would get way to big for the tank (at least if I were able to keep them alive long enough) and a few corals that I struggled to keep alive (mostly xenia and gsp). I though I had top of the line equipment with my emperor hang on filter and my sea clone hang on skimmer. I did eventually upgrade my little box of disappointment into a 75 and added a sump made from a cheap tote and a reef octopus skimmer (I think it was one of their first models). I was then able to make the 55 into a predator tank and had a stars and stripes puffer, eel, and a lion fish.

That was a little over 20 years ago and I have learned so much about this hobby since then.

I don't miss any of my previous tanks, although I do miss having a fowlr to keep non reef safe fish in.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I decided to sell our house in March 2020. We broke down our 93 gallon cube at that time and began a year long process of setting up a temporary holding tank and then establishing a new system.

That 93 cube was my first aquarium and it seemed to just be easy… things grew, no sickness, easy to maintain.

I miss my first tank.

I miss my IM Nuvo 40g. It was very simple. An MP40, a Radion, Tunze skimmer, the end. Had acros, zoas, LPS, and anemones that later got cool names like “black widow” and “CO sunburst.” Water changes when I felt like it and everything was happy. Tore it down (moved) and rehomed everything for $500 to a mature local reefer I thought could keep them alive. I now have a complicated (for me) system with $10,000 in hardware including dosing pumps, trident, kessils, controllers, remote AWC, etc. The tank just doesn’t have the “juice” like the little one did. It never really has grown anything well (I blame the kessils honestly) but the ALK overdose was on me. I have never had a dosing problem before…because I manually dosed (or didn’t dose at all).
In fact Im coming up on over 2 years and I am about to cut off the AWC and this afternoon I’m going back to Radions when UPS shows up. I do miss that old tank and I realize I should have stuck with what worked for me (simplicity, known equipment, and intuition). I’m hopeful I can return back to looking at the tank and tune things based on impression and appearance rather than what my phone tells me.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss my 90. A lot. Insurance claim on our home forced me to take it down after over 15 years. Brought all the coral into the farm and saved everything, but it's not the same. In my opinion absolutely nothing beats an old established tank with big healthy colonies.
20200903_201914 (1).jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 380 gallon pond with freshwater stingrays that I miss a lot. Unfortunately I dont have enough space in current house to have that big of a footprint that rays need to be comfortable.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as memories go, I only miss the freshwater tank from when I was growing up. It was a 29-gallon tank that kept a few different fish over the time we had it set up. It is nostalgic for me, since I remember my dad building the stand and heading up the project.

I'm too new in the marine world to have any old memories...

I miss this old tank that held exactly 24 ice cold beers

fish-aquarium-beer-wallpaper-preview.jpg
About 2 hours from where I live, there is a free 125-gallon aquarium full of empty cans but leaks water... If it were closer, I'd pick it up to try out re-sealing a tank for fish use and melting down the cans for aluminum for various non-reef purposes.
1624043661862.png

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back when, I had a lushly planted 30 galloon with a pair of wild discus that lived on one end and a pair of firemouths that occupied the other end. At feeding time each pair would posture and flare their fins at the other. Even now, I miss that tank.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I miss my first tank.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. We put so much blood, sweat, tears & treasure into our hobby, then comes an unforeseen future incident, we lose what we once had
and enjoy

Back