Do you prefer designer or normal Clownfish?

Designer or original Clowns?

• Designer

Votes: 52 21.5%
  • “Original”

Votes: 112 46.3%
  • Both / Depends (specify)

Votes: 68 28.1%
  • I don’t like Clowns

Votes: 10 4.1%

• Total voters

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, how many of you prefer designer Clowns, and how many prefer the original wild strains? Personally, I would pick one that looks like a wild fish any day over a designer Clown.

Maybe I’m being paranoid but sometimes I’m worried that even captive bred ones that look like wild Clowns carry these designer genes due to attempts to breed designer Clowns.

Wild ones all the way for me. :)

I’m aware some varieties occur in the wild, and I admit I can find a wild type Picasso Percula pretty attractive, but a lot of the others like Snowflakes, Gold Brick Maroons, Gladiators, “Zombie” and “Longfin” I’m just like….. ugh, give me a break.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Picasso’s. They can be found in nature though.

Example of a WILD Picasso. Look how beautiful and perfect the shape of its head is. This is an example of the ultimate clown to me. Perfect shape Mother Nature created but with a little flare.

4919D914-6A2C-4369-9F5D-4190DFCD1EBA.jpeg

Most important thing is the body shape. Plenty of pinched heads, pug noses, etc in both the original colors and the designers. ORA seems like a big offender of not culling properly.

Last edited:

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate clowns, whether its designer or normal, there is no point to them.
Would you have a dog that sat in a corner all day and night and when you went near it it bit you? Thats all a clownfish does. I just do not get the fascination with them, I'm sure Finding Nemo was made purely to annoy the heck out of me, they should have let Bruce eat the little jerk and finished the film there.
But each to their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer some of the designer clowns except for the long fin varieties, which I hate the looks of. I seem to prefer the designer clowns that have more white. I currently have a normal color and a Wyoming white.

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate clowns, whether its designer or normal, there is no point to them.
Would you have a dog that sat in a corner all day and night and when you went near it it bit you? Thats all a clownfish does. I just do not get the fascination with them, I'm sure Finding Nemo was made purely to annoy the heck out of me, they should have let Bruce eat the little jerk and finished the film there.
But each to their own.
Some reasons clowns are popular is they're easy to feed, good in nano tanks, and have a lot of personality.

Do you know of any alternatives that are also good for nano tanks and such?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dislike tank bred clowns because of personality. I have 3 clowns right now, and and not one of them is as awesome as the wild caught I had before. They don't swim as clumsy, swim patterns aren't as random as the wilds. My wild clowns came from petco, the female died to an eye infection and medication didn't work well. While some think they just sit in their own corner, that's true. Until feeding time or when you are messing with the tank.
My surviving male would always swim around my hand when I Would go into the DT and While I messed around cleaning or planting frags. Weird thing was, he never in 8 years of keeping him did he turn female. He stayed male. Makes me wonder if my purple tang was female. They were the only 2 to survive a serpent starfish.

I do not like these super designer clowns. I just love the white markings, not the white body with a little color.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True Percs and Darwin Clowns are my favorite. I like some of the designer clowns but not the long fin ones

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of these artificial morphs would be a good market strategy to make me buy pills for blood pressure. Add eye goggles too so my eyes won’t hurt as much.

I honestly see nothing wrong with….. this or the orange ones.

Other than the Occys and Perculas the Orange Skunks and Saddlebacks don’t look half bad either. Wonder if the captive Bred ones are still less hardy than a captive bred Occy or Percula coz I know the wild ones are tricky.

07D20945-3029-48C5-9E42-93139E55F4A6.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough. Normals are a classic and i never see myself not liking them but i do like some of the funny oddballs like the naked clownfish but i think my favorite of the designer is the black ice
1629199886924.png

This is a black storm not a black ice :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back