Do you prefer multiple tanks or just one?

Do You Prefer Multiple Tanks?

• Yes

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers! Are multiple tanks your thing, or no?

For me, I have different tanks for different things. I have a sps tank, softy tank, two frag tanks, and a fowlr tank. I wanted a little bit of everything, but yeah, I do a ton of maintenance! So what's your preference?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had time for multiple tanks. But then it would no longer be a hobby. I like to enjoy my single tank.

It's funny, early in my tenure of the hobby I had the desire for multiple tanks and I had 3 at one time. But fast forward 15 years, and I'm content with just a single reef tank.

I'm not sure if that's part of the arc of being in this hobby... the desire to experience and have it all and have that want disapate or if it's just me.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 salt tank running at the moment but...i do have 8 fresh running and cut down from around 20 when my whole basement was a fish room with double stacks of 180's 75's and triple 40 breeder racks.
I will be converting at the very least a 180 or a 125 to salt to house my favorites, lg angels, triggers, ect. i may also convert my stack of 29's to pair tanks for clowns or seahorses down the road.
this weekend im swapping and 75 for a sumped 90 and that may or may not end up as a grow out for the fish i'm looking to keep in the 6 footer.

If i had better water storage and RO capacity I'd have more FOWLRs.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had up to 3 going at once, and honestly I didn't enjoy it as much as just focusing on one.

Despite having them all plumbed into a single sump, it just felt like I was doing more work than actually enjoying the fruits of my labor. It was also harder to diagnose issues when it felt like so many more factors were at play.

All that being said, I wouldn't rule out adding a second tank down the road for something specific like seahorses.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run multiple tanks but none really specific on what they house. I have one in the bedroom that I was going to tear down and move everything into my newest build but I saw a beautiful blue haddoni at the LFS so instead of tearing it down I added sand and bought the nem and tossed in a little ckarkii. I'm actually glad I left it up because the ramping of the lights let me know I should probably get my old lazy butt out of bed.
I like having tanks in different rooms. In the living room I can watch the tank and my Gal thinks I'm watching TV with her. I do get some nasty looks at the dinner table when she is talking to me and she sees I'm looking at the tank there instead of her when she's talking :face-with-tears-of-joy: I'm not sure why but everytime I say I'm going to downsize I end up with a new or larger tank :thinking-face:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I would like multiple tanks, I just don't have the time or space.

I used to maintain a 120 gallon fowlr at a local campground and have my reef and a freshwater/terrarium setup, one would always get neglected.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At one time I had four and was no problem for me despite heavy work schedule. I sold dropoff tank and one other anticipation moved to florida delayed due to hurricane damage. End of last year sold 145g and currently running the 400g

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiples. Gives me freedom to keep interesting stuff like Mantis shrimps, and not to put all my eggs in one basket as it were. If one tank crashes it's unlikely they all will.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. I’ve never really considered more than one main tank.

Not enough space to properly display without it looking like a scene from Sanford and son.

Maybe in the future when retired and too old to travel. Hard to do when your other passion is travel which makes having one hard enough.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always want to be doing something (trying out different lights, trying to breed my damsels, trying to grow corals, trying to pair up my clowns, etc. . . ), and having multiple tanks allows me to do that.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Multiple tank syndrome (MTS) is a thing (commenting for a friend)!

Oh No Reaction GIF

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back