Do you put Chaeto in your QT?

  • Thread starter Thread starter .Marshall
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

.Marshall

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2012
Messages
908
Reaction score
27
Location
St. Cloud, MN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if it will be beneficial to use my modded aquaclear refugium (full of chaeto) in my QT? Will the medications (PraziPro, IchX) kill the Chaeto? Thanks!
 
I'm wondering if it will be beneficial to use my modded aquaclear refugium (full of chaeto) in my QT? Will the medications (PraziPro, IchX) kill the Chaeto? Thanks!

Not sure if it will kill the Chaeto but it will kill the pods and life living in the Chaeto. I don't see any benefit to adding it since it absorbs nutrients which in a QT aren't a real problem under normal circumstances.
 
i wouldnt suggest adding cheato to your qt leave your qt bare except for a few hides
 
i would also stick away from it. Is there a particular reason you wanted it in there?
 
i would also stick away from it. Is there a particular reason you wanted it in there?

Beneficial Bacteria, stabilize the QT, I might just use it in my main sump to house my chaeto, this modded aquaclear is awesome, holds the chaeto right where I want it!
 
I don't think chaeto will provide much bacteria or stabilize the tank. A seeded sponge, pad or liverock that you don't mind not going back into display will be better for beneficial bacteria.
 
I don't think chaeto will provide much bacteria or stabilize the tank. A seeded sponge, pad or liverock that you don't mind not going back into display will be better for beneficial bacteria.

+1 to this for sure. Chaeto (especially filled with pods) could possibly destabilize a qt with the die off from the pods and any other small lifeforms. Just not worth it IMO.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new