Do you run Carbon?

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, seems to me that you already know the answer - change that carbon, or remove it if you dont have new at hand....

There's many benefit of running carbon, but i cant think of any when running something that lost his primary purpose.... Simply remove it....
I mean my water looks crystal clear, I thought it was only used for that purpose only. Didn’t knew it could Keep algae at bay.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure for algae, but eliminating stuff from water is primary purpose, at least i always tought that.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean my water looks crystal clear, I thought it was only used for that purpose only. Didn’t knew it could Keep algae at bay.
Idk in my r.o system it kicks chlorines' butt I go from off the charts to undetected. Its amazing what carbon can do plus the side effects good and bad of using it all around uses more than just water clarity...BRS does a good spotlight video on carbon

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my carbon. Inspected the old one having cracks and smooth surfaces . Maybe it was depleted.

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried carbon two weeks ago. Long story short stopped because my torches were looking unhappy. Phosphates 0. The next day after stopping had a bacteria bloom. Ammonia 0. Nitrites and nitrates high but phosphates still 0.
My theory is our bacteria goes to the carbon source. Personally I’ll never use carbon again. I have high ato turnover and rodi system has 3 carbons.
Had to use cipro to kill the bacteria then add more bacteria and then add a vitamin c pill for a carbon source to multiply it. We are talking 7 tangs and 140 euphyllia in the tank. I can’t afford that risk again.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does running carbon pull out essential trace elements? I was reading an article about ICP testing and it seemed to indicated that carbon will absorb a lot of the trace elements we are looking to keep in the water column.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7 in a media bag, in a high flow area. Changed out weekly. An inexpensive but effective way to remove non-foaming organics.

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's long as it's a good quality carbon it has way too many upsides not to do. I use Seagel in my personal tanks at home. But cleaning water, removing toxins from corals, impurities, etc...always seems like a good idea IMO

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not using it for a long time and my water had a yellow tinge to it. I switched to using 70g RoX0.8 in a 200 Gallon system changed out every week. My water is now clear and colorless (no yellow color).

I do dose DIY Sr, Mo, Mn, Logul's, Sr and Fe weekly. My Goni's seem to open and extend a bit more after dosing Mo and Mn.

I suspect activated carbon has little short term effect on Mn, Mo, Sr levels due to the pH of sea water and their very low levels. The absorption of these elements follows first order kinetics from what I'm understanding in research papers I'm finding. This means the lower the concentration the slower the absorption (Ref. 1). The levels of these ions is much lower in our aquariums compared to the studies that are being published. Optimal pH for carbon absorption for these elements is around 4 or 5 pH depending on the species (Ref. 2). So, at pH ~8 in our systems, absorption is likely poor. Over longer periods of time (like months), the use of carbon might remove an appreciable amount of these elements. But so does growing coral and other organisms. Water changes or dosing might be an offset of this.

I have an ICP test kit I need to use. Last ICP was over a year ago and all my levels were "in the green" except iodine was too high and Mn was too log (Goni's maybe).

Carbon use in seawater is well suited for sponging up large molecules like the dyestuffs such as tannins and other molecules that add color to the water as well as those "smelly" phenols. I use it because it is likely going to "calm" some of the chemical warfare that might be taking place in my system of mixed corals (LPS, SPS, softies - - and they hate when I cut or touch them). My Goni started recovering after I switched to 70g Rox 0.8 carbon every month. My thinking is those chemicals are likely large molecules easily "trapped" in the pores of activated carbon.

I use my carbon in a canister filter with a small pump pushing water through it 24/7 at a rate of about 1L/min.

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon maybe once a month and for two days or so. I use it to get rid of the yellow tint in the water (which will reduce light for corals).

It will also remove bad smell. I never had bad smell in my aquarium, but you could say i use it in prevention.

I struggeled for a long time with 0 Phosphates, and i heard running carbon might reduce some of it, so i stopped. I think it does not remove Phosphates it self, but by removing inorganic stuff(?) (or was it organic lol) it will keep Phosphates a tad lower.

When i run carbon i always use less than recommended dose.

I saw somewhere a study with carbons benefit and downside, search for it as i’m on my phone now (i should really be working now )

And i think carbon was blamed for causing the decease HLLT for tangs, but i don’t think it has been proven. A lot of ppl run carbon and tangs without problems ☺️

Maybe if you have a heavy stocked tank you will be better of with some carbon running every now and then. I’m thinking of some soft corals are poisenous too.

Try a small amount and run and see if you notice any difference, i know i didn’t. Guess it comes down to so many factors.

Just my 2 cents! Have a great weekend! Now back to work…..

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am trying to figure out what are the benefits of running active Carbon in a reactor or bag. How often do you run it? What are the advantages of running it? What are the disadvantage of running it? I have a brand 1/4 pound of BRS rox Carbon and don't know if I should run it or not. I have tried to read up on it but I can't find to much about it. From what I have read It can strip the good stuff out of the water. Can someone shed some light on this topic.

Carbon can remove lots from your water, but AFAIK there is no evidence it will remove any trace element that is essential to your saltwater tank.

It will remove Copper and other heavy metals which is good. It will also remove some medications

I'm not a chemist so I don't understand the nitty gritty of how it actually works, wheather it absorbs or adsorbs, although I pretty sure it absorbs based on surface area.

It's been used for many years, and if rinsed well is probably harmless, and gives crystal clear water as a bonus.

It potentially causes problems with finfish like tangs, where it can cause Head and lateral line erosion. It's reported that a diet high in Fish oils can cure that condition.

Most folks just chuck a bag in a high flow area of their sump and change it every 2-4 weeks. Some put it into a reactor, but tumbling carbon causes dust which is apparently bad for tangs.

If you have a water filter in your house for your drinking water, remember that it is essentially carbon. If you have a RODI filter the 2nd stage will be carbon.

I've had a bag in my freshwater tanks for over 40 years, and it's never caused a problem, but has solved many.

regards

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon does nothing to Algae growth.

If you have excess Algae you have a nutrient problem.

If you have normal Aglae you have a healthy tank.

If you want less add UV to stop it circulating.

Regards

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on a timer to run for 1 hour a day recently ..I've run 24/7 plenty of days b4
You realise that if you have a reactor sitting idle for 23 hours, the lack of flow will make it anaerobic, in which it will generate lots of ammonia and other nasties.

Then when you turn it on again you pump all that nasty stuff into your tank.

You need to manage the flow rather than stopping it.

Regards

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried carbon two weeks ago. Long story short stopped because my torches were looking unhappy. Phosphates 0. The next day after stopping had a bacteria bloom. Ammonia 0. Nitrites and nitrates high but phosphates still 0.
My theory is our bacteria goes to the carbon source. Personally I’ll never use carbon again. I have high ato turnover and rodi system has 3 carbons.
Had to use cipro to kill the bacteria then add more bacteria and then add a vitamin c pill for a carbon source to multiply it. We are talking 7 tangs and 140 euphyllia in the tank. I can’t afford that risk again.

What was the carbon source?

Activated carbon is not a source of carbons

Regards

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure blue 5 oz size in sump 24/7. Change every two months for my two nano tanks. Do not run on my 110 yet but its only 2 months old and bio load is low. But maybe start thinking about adding as i have a little ugly phase kicking in 0n rocks. i am starting to add clean up crew over last couple of weeks..

Back