16224222006854284925348803744440.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 122

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the situation. If I just fragged a coral, especially a leather, I run carbon. However, if I notice HLLE developing, I’ll stop the carbon for a while.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I agree with nervousmonkey and a few others by using a reactor for this product.
I am planning to run Chemipure blue, or carbon in a reactor in one of the sumps chambers for the 300 I am building. I bought two aquamax large reactor S2, they seem easy to use and clean for a good price.
This way I can turn the reactor on and off by the ADJ power strips I installed or I may put it on a timer to run a few hours a day or only a few days a month.
I have to see what the tank will demand or need so I can dial it in...
Hope this helps, the final choice is yours, for me I just ask questions, get info and then make a choice, sometimes it good and sometimes its wrong but there is no "only one right answer to most of these reefing questions and practices....
Have a great day

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7, always, only time that is not used is 10 minutes once a month, when i change carbon.

Reactor connected to return pump line, valve almost closed for lower flow, tight packed about 250 ml on 600l system, newer had any issue that can possibly be related with using active carbon.

Probably i can use less carbon, but i dont buy premium grade, just regular aquarium carbon, like fluval, and anything that is availabe at moment, so i can afford to use more than i probably need, cost is not an issue here....

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a neon green sinularia in a mixed reef. The neon sinularia is constantly being tickled by xenia polyps. In the off chance the coral is irritated by that and releasing terpenes into the water, I run a carbon reactor (rodi chamber connected to a small pump).

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that there's any way of knowing when carbon is exhausted, so, it's more a personal preference...

Use smaller amount and change frequently, use little more and use it longer.... But every manufacturer sugest changing it every 3-4 weeks, except some "fast&furious" types of carbon, which can be used only for few days....

Of course, this is just rule of thumb, there's no way that manifacturer can know every single tank and conditions in them, but 15-20 days interval sounds good in most cases....

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing daily green algae on my glass. Could that be an indicator that my carbon has been depleted?

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it 24/7 in a bag in my sump. I use ESV carbon, its not very dusty compared to others I have used. I always rinse it before it goes in my sump.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a cheap hob uv see if it helps, is there allot of natural light in the room?
Can’t really get a UV when I’ve a lot of snails, hermit crabs. No direct sunlight. I did got a new stronger light but it just shifted algae growth. From growing on my power heads to the glass. I did reduced feeding with only feeding with chopsticks, but I do feel like carbon has been depleted cause its been there more than month last time I didn’t changed it just rinsed it.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, seems to me that you already know the answer - change that carbon, or remove it if you dont have new at hand....

There's many benefit of running carbon, but i cant think of any when running something that lost his primary purpose.... Simply remove it....

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back