Do you share this hobby w/ little ones?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son is three and he likes to hold the hose in the bucket while I siphon out all of the fish leavings. He gets to help with the freshwater tanks but not the salt tank just yet. The bucket has to sit up on a stool so sadly it's out of his reach. But both of the kiddos are water bugs and love to watch the tanks, my sons favorites are the crabbies, and my 11 month old daughters favorites are the colorful blobs that race around the tank.

4radz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughters (10 and 6) love looking at the tank and see what new coral dad brought home. Sometime they like going to the LFS with me, while other times they say "really dad, you're going to the fish store again??????"

The funniest thing is they can't believe how many packages dad always has showing up. I just got two shipments from BRS on Wednesday and they said "OMG, dad ordered more stuff for his fish tank". My wife just shakes her head.

Zeovit system started Wednesday thanks to the BRS shipment.

Shawn Dahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 year old son has a biocube in his room that we take care of together. Fishy was one of his first words. He already knows his fishies only get food in morning and night. We're working on learning the different critters in there, currently to him every living thing in there is a fishy. He helps me do water changes and helps me feed. He has some anemones, clowns, a clam, and cleanup crew. He also really enjoys going into fish stores and public aquariums

I also must add, he knows that when new fishies show up, they have their own special tank that they go into for a while before they go into any of the pretty tanks

Last edited:

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. We have 2 dobermans, even though the male that we adopted is trying to eat his way to becoming a rottweiler...
20180706_094600.jpg

Beautiful dogs, but there is nothing wrong with a good rotty lol.

My daughter is 14 and is just now getting into the hobby with me. She helps with some of the maintenance and helps feed. She did finally ask for her own aquarium, but we started her on freshwater. I had an old red sea 130d and we made her a FW tank with it.

IMG_1346.jpg

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest sons: 6.5 and almost 4 are into it with me.

They love going to the LFS when we pickup our fresh water, love looking at the fish more so than the corals, and the LOOOOVE the cleanup crews!

I think my almost 4 year old loves the LFS mostly b/c they have lollipops, but he gets blown away by some of the BIG fish they have in their display tanks. They love helping me feed the tank, and sometimes do maintenance work too.

Sometimes I"ll catch them staring at the tank when no one is looking!

OP
OP
Bulk Reef Supply

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest sons: 6.5 and almost 4 are into it with me.

They love going to the LFS when we pickup our fresh water, love looking at the fish more so than the corals, and the LOOOOVE the cleanup crews!

I think my almost 4 year old loves the LFS mostly b/c they have lollipops, but he gets blown away by some of the BIG fish they have in their display tanks. They love helping me feed the tank, and sometimes do maintenance work too.

Sometimes I"ll catch them staring at the tank when no one is looking!

I'm not a kid but I still LOOOOVE the cleanup crews (and lollipops aren't bad either) hahaha :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eldest was fascinated with nobs when he was a toddler. He dialed in my tropical reef tank down to a cold water tank for me while I was at the hospital with a kidney stone. (This was way back in the live rock age, before controllers) I was out of reefing for awhile until the kids got older.

I've set up another tank, (years later), and the neighborhood kids stop by to check it out.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love this thread sooo much!

IMG_7411.jpg

These little dudes and their dad won the Red Sea Max Nano from our booth at RAP!

IMG_7395.jpg

Alycia my daughter is not a little one anymore but she shares in the hobby!

IMG_7382.jpg

This is @joshporksandwic 's "little" one hanging with us in the booth at a show. He's my Miami son!

IMG_0242.JPG

Here they both are working the popcorn machine!

IMG_0238.JPG

This little guy was a little skeptical at first!

IMG_0203.JPG

This little super hero wears a R2R "cape" at all the shows he comes to!

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My adult daughter was the one who started us in the hobby several years ago. Her current is a 450 gallon peninsula reef tank which is in her office. Mine is at my home and is a Red Sea 650 reefer peninsula. We have both grown in this hobby over the last 15 years and look after one another’s tanks when one of us is out of town. Both of us had fresh water tanks from grade school on. We live in a rural area and our closest LFS is 3 hours away and it’s pretty basic so we share the challenge of making things work by getting things online. I couldn’t imagine anything better!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter loves watching the fish but I always worry about her eyes and my lights. I guess radions aren't stronger than the sun but I feel wary of such strong LEDs on young eyes.
I was worried too, so I put a padded foot rest in front so she looks straight into the tank and not up (post 16)......and keeps her out of the sump.....that stuff can hurt those little eyes too

TronChief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love sharing this hobby with my girls. They aren’t as passionate as me always but they love to watch the fish and corals. They are learning how to care for each of them and I hope their passion will carry forward this great hobby.
BADE7F03-72B3-4764-9FF1-B6E6F298694E.jpeg

Limpet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big guy is more interested in what's going on under the tank! He knows what everything does under there. I can't wait to teach him how to empty the skimmer cup!

IMG_2929 copy.jpg

This was just after getting this new tank running. He loves all the plumbing.

IMG_4104 copy.jpg

I think he wants his foam shapes back.

IMG_3728 copy.jpg

Collecting NSW at the inlet.

IMG_4258 copy.jpg

Throwing shells at the fish.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 kids all under the age of 9. They are only interested for a couple of seconds when a new fish is added. The rest of the time they are asking for a cat ;Vomit. However, my 5 year old daughter will sometime surprise me and ask if she can help. It's at those time I wish I had made the stand lower to the ground. I really hope one day they start loving the hobby as much as I do. ;Happy

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little one started this hobby!!! She's 9 and loves marine live and fish especially. She got me inspired and hooked on the reefing

Da Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my two girls assist with acclimation, water changes, testing etc. We have had some blunders, but who hasn't. My 10 year old is always by my side assisting with what needs to be done my 12 year old will assist but is more interested in texting her friends pictures of the tank. 10 year old has her own 20g and maintains it with a little reminding from dad. We are upgrading her to a 120...it just made sense cost wise. :) Lets see how she does.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back