Do you sometimes pour some skimmate back in your tank?

Do you sometimes pour some skimmate back in your tank?

• Yes!

Votes: 58 10.4%
  • No!

Votes: 410 73.3%
  • Ew?

Votes: 91 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

um02122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dear. I've used balsamic once because I've run out of normal and used my wife's favourite (and expensive) vinegar, as you do.

Distilled vinegar gets skimmed too. I mean, you would agree with me that a protein skimmer will not skim in freshwater. It starts skimming as soon as you add the vinegar.

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I only had skimmers with pumps that always started again after being turn off, sure setting them on a timer would be an option.
Unfortunately many of the skimmer pumps I work with are not that reliable and often needs to be restarted a couple of times before they start working properly. So I like to keep them running :)

so you don’t turn it off when you do water changes or feed?

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a lot of sense IMO. Running the skimmer will make a great gas exchange - which is very important in a reef aquarium. It gives a low CO2 and high O2 levels in the aquaria. High O2 input during nighttime in a crowded aquarium is sometimes critical.

By the way - you know exactly what you put in of everything - a little less than you put out if you did not return the skimmate. The same situation as if you run skimmerless but without the gasexchanging

Sincerely Lasse[/
I’m not sure what dumping old skim mate back into your tank has to do with O2 and CO2??
And my point (and many others) is if you don’t want your skimmer skimming... just shut it off for a bit..... the second part of what you said makes no sense to me....
It makes a lot of sense IMO. Running the skimmer will make a great gas exchange - which is very important in a reef aquarium. It gives a low CO2 and high O2 levels in the aquaria. High O2 input during nighttime in a crowded aquarium is sometimes critical.

By the way - you know exactly what you put in of everything - a little less than you put out if you did not return the skimmate. The same situation as if you run skimmerless but without the gasexchanging

Sincerely Lasse
2 words that shouldn’t be in your reply.......

“Crowded Aquarium”

IMO one should never have such a thing....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back