Do you still have to cycle a transferred tank?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How big is the old tank VS the new one?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We talking plastic bio balls or ceramic? If ceramic, it MIGHT be fine. I'd probably still monitor ammonia for a couple of days and maybe throw some Dr. Tim's One and Only in there.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We talking plastic bio balls or ceramic? If ceramic, it MIGHT be fine. I'd probably still monitor ammonia for a couple of days and maybe throw some Dr. Tim's One and Only in there.
Oh I still plan on adding bacteria anyway…plastic. In theory there shouldn’t be an ammonia spike and don’t really technically need them after the cycle is done right?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm... if the only thing coming into the new tank from the old one is plastic bio balls, I'd definitely still monitor ammonia for a few days to be sure you don't have a cycle. I'm assuming you'll have dry rock in the new tank that's being seeded by the bio balls?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And you're correct. You shouldn't need them after the cycle is done. My suggestion (for the future) would be to move away from the plastic and instead use something like siporax, seachem matrix, or something similar for bio media. The surface area will be WAY better.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And you're correct. You shouldn't need them after the cycle is done. My suggestion (for the future) would be to move away from the plastic and instead use something like siporax, seachem matrix, or something similar for bio media. The surface area will be WAY better.
It was the ones that came with the Waterbox Cube 20 but I’ll keep that in mind and the rock isn’t going to be completely dry. It’s live/cured rock bought from the fish store. Thanks for your help.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... if the only thing coming into the new tank from the old one is plastic bio balls, I'd definitely still monitor ammonia for a few days to be sure you don't have a cycle. I'm assuming you'll have dry rock in the new tank that's being seeded by the bio balls?
This. Its risky with plastic bioballs.

I would do a full cycle for the new tank using ammonia and bacteria

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering…would it cycle instantly if I add the media from my established tank? Can I add my little lobster the next day after I set it up?
So the lobster is in the 5 gallon? And the media is keeping up fine now?
So adding 15 gallons to the 5 make 20 and the media. 15 gallons of new salt water and 5 gallons old with the media that's keeping the lobster alive now. Why would it cycle? Your just adding nsw.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back