????DO YOUNGER REEFERS EVEN FOURM????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With all the fantastic modern forms of digital socialization and the explicit gravitation to these forms over more traditional forms, say things like Internet forums such as this one. And having kids of my own that epitomize this notion a bit too well, I really have to wonder if newer younger reefers have any interest in forums as a means of resource for pertinent information. And by that I mean answers to questions they may have directly related to the hobby. The kinds of questions people may ask on a public forum and get direct, debatably, wisdom and experience based answers to. Or at least enough info to sift and sort through to make their own decisions on what to really take in and by contrast choose to ignore.

Or, do they really rely more on, forgive me “influencers” to kind of spoon feed them every thing they think they need to know?

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 9.47.26 AM.png

As I sit here I can't help but think about all the potential customers I may have never know existed, or better yet definitely haven’t yet and may never hear of me because of the channels through with they get their information. Now, am I pigeonholed a little in the all to comfy world of forums, that I’ve really seemed to thrive in then last decade? I'd say yes. But more importantly, are forums a fleeting resource? I honestly don’t know. But I do believe that as of today this forum in particular is still going strong and growing in users and members. At least for now.

My real question, is how many of these new members are young, say 16-22, and how does that compare to the growing number hobbyists that rely entirely on social media for there information and wouldn’t be caught dead lurking among the dinosaurs that rule our "bygone" internet forums?

And that begs the question, what kind of information is being shared and passed around by some these essential newbies themselves, as they learn and post what they learn, literally as they learn it? And, where are these influencers getting their information from? Couldn't be forums could it? If not, what it the quality of the information being passed around out there, versus what can be found in a forum like this?

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 9.45.43 AM.png

Truth is, no matter how I word this it will make me sound like a relic, but these are just some of the questions I am pondering. They may be the rambling of aging miser, but what I do know for sure, is that the younger hobbyists spend way more time on social media than forums to seek the answers to the questions they are looking for. And the truth is, the miser in me doesn't really know quite what to think of that. And, how this may change the landscape of the information that gets passed around in the future. If one day forums actually go away for good.

Again, I don't know the answers to these questions. But I really am curious about whether younger reefers look to forums as a viable resource for information anymore. We may never know, because frankly, I'm speaking to a demographic that won't be chiming in here, because they'll never see this...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m old so I won’t be able to provide any insight, other than I will say at times I see a lot more activity on Instagram than I do on forums.
It makes sense that the younger reefers would rely on getting information from the sources that they are already used to, ie social media.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Younger reefers definitely use social media the most for info in general. I'm gen x, so I live in between the old and new school. As an admin of a reefing group myself, I try to provide different platforms so that reefers of all ages find one they like using. If you only use one platform, you miss out on a whole other audience. But, R2R is still awesome and highly recommended to all.

Last edited:

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This post makes me feel old and I'm only 21 lol.

I've been on forums like reefcentral, and reef2reef since I was in elementary school and the knowledge I gained from them definitely aided my formative years in the hobby. The forums really allowed me to hone my fundamentals in the hobby.

This was during the earlier ages of internet, now with so many social media outlets and a plethora of youtube videos the forums seemed to be a valuable resource that is often overlooked by new and possible hobbyists.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was actually a thread recently about this -

I myself believe the influencers are using the forums under a different username and then the young guns are just following the influencer

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Short answer...yes forums are unfortunately on the way out.

Following people who have similar interests, showing flashy reels and tiktoks, being spoon fed information and taken care of is how information is exchanged now.

There are the few of the younger populist that will still definitely use the forums...but they are the exception.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think forums are on the way out, they're something you find and stick around in the longer you're in the hobby for. However for the novice setting up a tank, or looking to get into the hobby, they likely stick to youtube videos. For selling corals, IG is probably your best best to promote your stock.

powpow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of my kids read any forums. They would rather watch TicTok. If they need to learn something - their solution - Daddy, I need a Tudor.

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the fantastic modern forms of digital socialization and the explicit gravitation to these forms over more traditional forms, say things like Internet forums such as this one. And having kids of my own that epitomize this notion a bit too well, I really have to wonder if newer younger reefers have any interest in forums as a means of resource for pertinent information. And by that I mean answers to questions they may have directly related to the hobby. The kinds of questions people may ask on a public forum and get direct, debatably, wisdom and experience based answers to. Or at least enough info to sift and sort through to make their own decisions on what to really take in and by contrast choose to ignore.

Or, do they really rely more on, forgive me “influencers” to kind of spoon feed them every thing they think they need to know?

As I sit here I can't help but think about all the potential customers I may have never know existed, or better yet definitely haven’t yet and may never hear of me because of the channels through with they get their information. Now, am I pigeonholed a little in the all to comfy world of forums, that I’ve really seemed to thrive in then last decade? I'd say yes. But more importantly, are forums a fleeting resource? I honestly don’t know. But I do believe that as of today this forum in particular is still going strong and growing in users and members. At least for now.

My real question, is how many of these new members are young, say 16-22, and how does that compare to the growing number hobbyists that rely entirely on social media for there information and wouldn’t be caught dead lurking among the dinosaurs that rule our "bygone" internet forums?

And that begs the question, what kind of information is being shared and passed around by some these essential newbies themselves, as they learn and post what they learn, literally as they learn it? And, where are these influencers getting their information from? Couldn't be forums could it? If not, what it the quality of the information being passed around out there, versus what can be found in a forum like this?

Truth is, no matter how I word this it will make me sound like a relic, but these are just some of the questions I am pondering. They may be the rambling of aging miser, but what I do know for sure, is that the younger hobbyists spend way more time on social media than forums to seek the answers to the questions they are looking for. And the truth is, the miser in me doesn't really know quite what to think of that. And, how this may change the landscape of the information that gets passed around in the future. If one day forums actually go away for good.

Again, I don't know the answers to these questions. But I really am curious about whether younger reefers look to forums as a viable resource for information anymore. We may never know, because frankly, I'm speaking to a demographic that won't be chiming in here, because they'll never see this...
This is my first forum haha. I’m 23 :)

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer...yes forums are unfortunately on the way out.

Following people who have similar interests, showing flashy reels and tiktoks, being spoon fed information and taken care of is how information is exchanged now.

There are the few of the younger populist that will still definitely use the forums...but they are the exception.
I think younger generations like mine just want information more easily accessible. We (Gen-Z) don’t typically go on forums becuase they’re on the web and we prefer apps becuase they’re more pleasing to us. We don’t like clutter and clean feeds are what pulls us in. It’s why twitter and tiktok are so popular. They’re easy to use and navigate. Atleast, that’s my theory!

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think younger generations like mine just want information more easily accessible. We (Gen-Z) don’t typically go on forums becuase they’re on the web and we prefer apps becuase they’re more pleasing to us. We don’t like clutter and clean feeds are what pulls us in. It’s why twitter and tiktok are so popular. They’re easy to use and navigate. Atleast, that’s my theory!
What do you (younger generation) do for specific reef questions? If you use Google then most of the results lead to R2R or RC forums. Or do you DM your favorite Twitter or TikTok reef influencer?

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you (younger generation) do for specific reef questions? If you use Google then most of the results lead to R2R or RC forums. Or do you DM your favorite Twitter or TikTok reef influencer?

I'm 27 so youngish, but I find most info here and if I am really impressed by someone's tank on instagram I'll dm them to ask what they're doing.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Battlecorals
Adam, I think this is a good excuse to get all of those nice colonies that don't have pictures online yet, photographed and on IG! BC Double Rainbow for starters!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back