Do your cleaner shrimp pick at your coral (specifically LPS) after you feed?

Do your cleaner shrimp pick at your coral, particularly after you feed your coral?

• Yes - I do spot feed coral

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Yes - I do not spot feed coral

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I do spot feed coral

• No - I do not spot feed coral

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other

• Total voters

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Skunk Cleaner Shrimp has discovered the food vending machines in my tank, aka, my fleshy LPS. Now, anytime he smells food he goes and picks at my Trachyphyllia, Elegance Coral, and Micromussa Lords. He picked my Trachy to death and half picked a Lord colony apart. He's very well fed but seems to have an insatiable appetite. I plan on returning him to my LFS. They are fascinating characters but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that they irritate and nip at coral. What I'm trying to figure out is what percentage of cleaner shrimp do this. If its 20% I'll absolutely roll the dice and get a different specimen, if its more like 50% I'll probably look for something else to fill the void.

Any suggestions if its the later? I have a Blood Red Fire Shrimp who is a model citizen and I have some other small inverts like a Porcelain Anemone Crab and a few Pom Pom Crabs. I also plan on getting a small heard of Sexy Shrimp (I'm aware they need to be well fed or can nip at coral).

I love these little critters, they make the tank feel so much more alive.

Last edited:

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a piggy. Eats everything I offer by hand, steals from every coral, and I suspect it killed an anenome when I first got the shrimp. The bta was big, bubbly and happy, I got the shrimp and within a week the bta was shriveled, fell from the rock and eventually died. The shrimp was always on our near the bta. It has not killed any rfas though.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine love to annoy the crap out of my corals when I feed them. I guess I had to train them not to do that by waving a turkey baster around the corals to keep the shrimp off of them. They seem to do better now.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine got banned to the other tank with only softies. Even after feeding it first, I would always find it picking from corals. I like corals more than shrimp

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently only have one cleaner that stays hidden. When I had 2 they were brutal. They would just rip the food right out of the mouth of my meat corals and trachy. They would even try digging down inside the coral to pull food out of it. When the one I have is gone I won't be replacing it. Blood red fire shrimp and coral banded have been good for me tho.

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine love to annoy the crap out of my corals when I feed them. I guess I had to train them not to do that by waving a turkey baster around the corals to keep the shrimp off of them. They seem to do better now.
Interesting tactic, may have to give it a shot, they do seem to learn quickly!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back