Does a skimmer have to always be on?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7 but you dont have to. Some reefers will run theirs for a couple hours s day or run theirs for most of the day with a couple hours off.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As crabs stated, some don't have a skimmer at all. If you are going to run one though, I would run it 24X7. There are too many pros to not keeping it running...there really aren't any cons. If you are worried about having water that is too clean, feed more :)

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As crabs stated, some don't have a skimmer at all. If you are going to run one though, I would run it 24X7. There are too many pros to not keeping it running...there really aren't any cons. If you are worried about having water that is too clean, feed more :)
Is there such a thing as "too clean" water??

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there such a thing as "too clean" water??

Yup. Got an ATI test back on my Triton tank that showed .01 mg/l nitrate. Cheato fuge + skimming can certainly do in my experience and the result was a nasty cyano outbreak. And that's with a good amount of fish and heavy feeding.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my skimmer on a timer...its on from 10.30pm till noon every day. Too noisy when I'm home and I like the quiet. Nitrates are around 2 - 5. Never had an issue doing it this way.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn’t thought of turning it off. This is probably because of my overstocking and the oxygen benefits of leaving it on.

They are, in fact, loud though!

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. If I put it on a timer, can it be at any point in the day if I were to have corals? Or does the light being on or off have any effect? Sorry for the no on questions.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about putting mine on timer also but don't know what I would do about the water fluctuation when skimmer is on or off and the ATO in sump I run a external skimmer so when off water flows back to sump

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. If I put it on a timer, can it be at any point in the day if I were to have corals? Or does the light being on or off have any effect? Sorry for the no on questions.
mine is off when the whites are full on ( well at 70% ) and my tank is well and truly stocked with corals and fish. There is no water issue and as I said before my nitrates and phosphates are near enough zero

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine runs full time but not a requirement. I believe continuous run = continuous pull of waste.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first tank set up this week and reading through all these threads I’m surprised to see the comments about skimmers being loud. Seems like the quietest part of the system to me.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back