Does all the goodness just float away??

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this just crossed my head. We soak dry food, nori and even frozen food in various liquids (garlic, aminos, vitamins, etc). If we go back to middle school science and recall the principle of dilution wouldn’t our soaks just drift away? For example if I soak dry nori in garlic for 15 minutes and then stick it in the tank wouldn’t water flow in to replace the garlic to equalize the concentration of garlic both inside and outside the nori?

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this just crossed my head. We soak dry food, nori and even frozen food in various liquids (garlic, aminos, vitamins, etc). If we go back to middle school science and recall the principle of dilution wouldn’t our soaks just drift away? For example if I soak dry nori in garlic for 15 minutes and then stick it in the tank wouldn’t water flow in to replace the garlic to equalize the concentration of garlic both inside and outside the nori?
Not if your fish consumes it in the first 5 mins or less lol you shouldn’t leave it in the tank for hours. I’d say buy good quality foods and no need for soaks :)

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed but many do use soaks and some even soak nori which typically isn’t gone super fast
Yes true but you should add nori accordingly. I have a chevron, yellow and orange shoulder tang and if I use the omega brand nori about half a strip is gone in less than 5 mins. Don’t over feed and also don’t over think it lol just feed them and they will love you

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus is used by many to bind medication and vitamins to the food so it doesn’t immediately disburse in the water. You could try focus if you are concerned about any meds leaching into the water.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! My fish seem to do well and have full bellies with little smiles. Some have been around for nearly 10 years. Understandably much of the practices we follow in this hobby are based on anecdote and much less on higher levels of validation. Aquarist anecdote IMO holds much more weight than manufacturers’ claims as there is less inherent bias. So, if you bought some Selcon or growth factors, how quickly do your fish need to consume it before water has essentially replaced the additive...30 seconds, a minute? Then what happens if you add Focus? Does this time extend to 2 minutes...5? I have reached out to Seachem as the poetry the image that the are a science based company. I am in hopes they have a white paper showing the dissolution times with and without Focus? Seems like a straight forward study but as every study costs money who knows.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think of it that way. I dont use garlic but with Selcon I put it on the food and it goes in the tank.
If the fish don't eat it something else will so it goes into the food chain in the tank.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! My fish seem to do well and have full bellies with little smiles. Some have been around for nearly 10 years. Understandably much of the practices we follow in this hobby are based on anecdote and much less on higher levels of validation. Aquarist anecdote IMO holds much more weight than manufacturers’ claims as there is less inherent bias. So, if you bought some Selcon or growth factors, how quickly do your fish need to consume it before water has essentially replaced the additive...30 seconds, a minute? Then what happens if you add Focus? Does this time extend to 2 minutes...5? I have reached out to Seachem as the poetry the image that the are a science based company. I am in hopes they have a white paper showing the dissolution times with and without Focus? Seems like a straight forward study but as every study costs money who knows.
I don’t know how long the focus works or even if it does anything. That being said, I do use it and I only feed small bits at a time so it’s not left to the water to breakdown and leave meds in the water. I’m interested in what Seachem says, please post what they reply with.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back