Does anyone dose All for Reef & Fuel?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here dose All for Reef & Fuel with good results??

Quite a lot of the trace elements in All For Reef are also in Fuel, so I am worried doubling up would could cause a buildup of one of those elements found in both. I could theoretically cut dosages in half for each which might be a good direction to go towards.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef is to maintain your alk, ca, and mg with a splash of other trace minerals. Fuel is amino with a splash of other trace minerals. Two different things. You should dose All for reef at the dosage needed to maintain your desired alk and ca. Dose fuel if your tank is jam packed with corals and you think they need the extra aminos.

Tldr: all for reef is necessary to maintain alk and ca. Fuel is optional and icing on the cake

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef is to maintain your alk, ca, and mg with a splash of other trace minerals. Fuel is amino with a splash of other trace minerals. Two different things. You should dose All for reef at the dosage needed to maintain your desired alk and ca. Dose fuel if your tank is jam packed with corals and you think they need the extra aminos.

Tldr: all for reef is necessary to maintain alk and ca. Fuel is optional and icing on the cake
I understand that and am using them for two different purposes.. I am specifically asking about the fact that both bottles have a lot of the same trace elements, and want to be sure there is no harm doubling up on them.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren’t dosing anything else for cal, alk - all for reef is needed. Fuel is 100% optional and not needed at all. I think I saw your fb post too (or someone asked the exact thing) - I wouldn’t dose both at once if you are worried about going overboard on some trace elements.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren’t dosing anything else for cal, alk - all for reef is needed. Fuel is 100% optional and not needed at all. I think I saw your fb post too (or someone asked the exact thing) - I wouldn’t dose both at once if you are worried about going overboard on some trace elements.
Yes that was probably me. I have been using all for reef for a bit now with very good results. I have just been going down the zoanthid rabbit hole lately, and have some strains that don't do the best in my tank. Speaking with many others about this I have been recommended Fuel by quite a few people, and everyone who uses it says great things.

Theoretically I could dose half of the recommended amount by each and it should not be causing a problem. Or a periodic ICP test, but if others have been mixing them with no problem that may not even be necessary.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am dosing both, no problems with over dosing elements. I have a really stocked 32 gallon tank. I also do weekly water changes of 5 gallons a week.

Last ICP was mid September and one earlier in Feb with both scoring 92 and 93 respectively on ATI ICPs.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that was probably me. I have been using all for reef for a bit now with very good results. I have just been going down the zoanthid rabbit hole lately, and have some strains that don't do the best in my tank. Speaking with many others about this I have been recommended Fuel by quite a few people, and everyone who uses it says great things.

Theoretically I could dose half of the recommended amount by each and it should not be causing a problem. Or a periodic ICP test, but if others have been mixing them with no problem that may not even be necessary.

Are you testing your alk and ca regularly? Theres absolutely no reason to reduce dosage of all for reef because it will drop your alk and ca.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dose all for reef and seachem reef plus (almost identical to Fuel) on my nano. Haven’t seen any issues.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a fuge or algae scrubber? I dose all for reef but the trace elenents it provides cant keep up with my needs. So i use captiv8 trace put into my top off container. I also dose a little maganese because that seems to come up short.. my zoas were shrinkin too when my iodine was super low from the scrubber chewing it up. After dosing captiv8 they have bounced back

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing your alk and ca regularly? Theres absolutely no reason to reduce dosage of all for reef because it will drop your alk and ca.
Around once or twice a week. I was only considering cutting it in half if I started dosing fuel in fear of adding to much trace, but sounds like from other testimonies that won’t be necessary. I have a 13.5 evo and water changes could theoretically keep the tank happy, but as it’s hitting 3 years now and corals are growing like mad I can’t keep up with the consumption of elements.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a fuge or algae scrubber? I dose all for reef but the trace elenents it provides cant keep up with my needs. So i use captiv8 trace put into my top off container. I also dose a little maganese because that seems to come up short.. my zoas were shrinkin too when my iodine was super low from the scrubber chewing it up. After dosing captiv8 they have bounced back
Refugium that’s on around 9 hours is my only filtration.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, there are other amino products out there that are just aminos... If you're that worried about doubling up on elements. Cutting the dose of All for Reef would defeat the entire purpose of using All for Reef in the first place (assuming you are testing and have your dose dialed in).

I use All for Reef and AcroPower.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuel is not a trace element supplement. It is vitamin C (edited to change "coral food" with "vitamin C" after randy noted in a response to this) + chlorella which aquavitro/seachem then lists up what elements chlorella provides to the tank. This is misleading imo because all food could be considered a trace element additive by this definition.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuel is not a trace element supplement. It is a coral food + chlorella which aquavitro/seachem then lists up what elements chlorella provides to the tank. This is misleading imo because all food could be considered a trace element additive by this definition.

I agree that the Aquavitro description is highly misleading about that aspect of the product.

It is disgraceful that they take a vitamin C + algae product and call it:

"Comprehensive carbohydrate, vitamin, amino acid, and polyunsaturated fatty acid supplement for corals"

"Makes a trace element supplement unnecessary"

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef Plus also lists trace elements but has no chlorella, which is the main difference between the two.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run All4reef and acropower for aminos. I dose a bit of potassium and this maintains all my elements. I am going without water changes and validating my numbers with ICP tests every couple of months. My almost 8 yo mixed reef growth is amazing

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve tried this multiple times and I always got stn. I assume from the both products adding similar trace elements.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuel is not a trace element supplement. It is vitamin C (edited to change "coral food" with "vitamin C" after randy noted in a response to this) + chlorella which aquavitro/seachem then lists up what elements chlorella provides to the tank. This is misleading imo because all food could be considered a trace element additive by this definition.
Ahh I see. In this case I dont have to worry about doubling up on trace elements than? @Acrofiend probably showing that was from something else.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ahh I see. In this case I dont have to worry about doubling up on trace elements than? @Acrofiend probably showing that was from something else.
Definitely wasn’t something else. I’ve tried multiple times thinking the time before was caused by something else because I love both products.
Once I stopped dosing fuel the stn stopped.
All tanks are different though and I was only dealing with <40g tanks.
Good luck. Hope to hear your results.
Here’s a guaranteed analysis straight from aquavitros website.

Attachments

• IMG_1701.png
    IMG_1701.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 35

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back