Does ANYONE like their AI Prime HD?

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this thing on my 20 gallon for over a year now and I still can't figure out the right setting for the simplest of SPS, and even some LPS.

Chem things first:

dKH: 8
Calcium: 440 ppm
NO3: 0ish on API test
PO4: 0.12 on Hanna Checker

I run a skimmer, Purigen, and Phosguard. No algae issues. Already went through the ugly stage before this light.

Second, I'm not talking about the AI Prime or the AI Prime 16HD. This is the model in between. I have tried 100% power, I have tried AB+, I have tried WWC, I have tried Ms. Vaquez's AI Prime settings (not HD) from the AI website. AI does not list a program for this model on their website. Few places do. I fear it is the "red-headed stepchild" of their products.

On some settings some LPS thrive, some die back. The mystic sunset monti and green slimer anacropora I put in did bad across all settings. Hammer coral didn't care what setting it was on - it's an unstoppable force. The mushrooms were happiest towards the 100% or close-to settings. They grew and split. On WWC and Vasquez, they walk away, yet rock/mini carpet anemones seem happier. My platygyra was doing okay under WWC, and my leptoseris was recovering under that, but the platy is receding under the Vasquez program. The lepto is holding steady.

I've seen a bit of growth in hammers in the past year, but it's dwarfed by my 90 gallon with T5's. On one visit to a store I bought this light. On the next they told me it was their best-selling light, but they didn't use any in the store. On the third I mentioned these two experiences, and they said they stand by the product (it may be my ineptitude honestly), and they recommended I use the settings on the AI website (no examples present for this model).

Help? Or does anyone else feel the same? I don't doubt that it's a powerful light, just that it's hard to figure it out. all T5 and Kessil tanks I have ever experienced had much better growth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Privateye

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add that I have seen better SPS growth out of my $20 light from wish.com (on an adjacent 10 gallon).

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t personally use it but what I’m seeing is you have a very mixed reef, tons of different types of corals. I have the same thing and sometimes you won’t find that right setting or right light for all of them to thrive. They all have different requirements and such and it would be extremely hard to balance it to where they all thrived.

OP
OP
Privateye

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t personally use it but what I’m seeing is you have a very mixed reef, tons of different types of corals. I have the same thing and sometimes you won’t find that right setting or right light for all of them to thrive. They all have different requirements and such and it would be extremely hard to balance it to where they all thrived.

It's true and i get that, but it's totally possible. I have about 90 corals in my 90 gallon, 1/3 soft, 1/3 LPS, 1/3 SPS. All grow without issue unless an adjacent coral is the issue. I get that balancing it could be difficult with this light, or any LED even, but having had much more success with almost all other LEDs I've tested with mixed reefs over the years (black box, Orbit Pro, cheap Wish lights, Rapid LED kit, DIY, Kessil, but not Marineland or Lifegard) I know that a mixed reef is beyond possible. If this light restricts me to one type I'd call it a failure tbh.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back