Does anyone use bleach to clean their powerheads?

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've not seen any problem with it myself, I expect the issue (if real) has to do with uncharged acetic acid having some ability to penetrate some plastics. Mineral acids such as muriatic will never have any significant uncharged forms around, and so won't do anything except interact with the surface. Inorganic ions such as H+ and Cl- just wont penetrate the very hydrophobic interior of plastics.
I've used dilute muriatic acid for a long time on 2L pop bottles I use for phytoplankton and like Muriatic acid.

I have a bunch of plastic wedges that are part of a tile leveling system and they got covered in mortar so I soaked them in a fairly strong muriatic acid solution and it started melting the wedges! I don't know what kind of plastic.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bleach to sterilize or clean anything that is not damaged by the bleach. If it would get damaged from bleach I use citric acid. People are a lot more worried about bleach than needs to. It breaks down inert as it dries. Once completly dry all the bleach is gone.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like buying in bulk.

40lbs
IMG_20231121_194857062_HDR.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used dilute muriatic acid for a long time on 2L pop bottles I use for phytoplankton and like Muriatic acid.

I have a bunch of plastic wedges that are part of a tile leveling system and they got covered in mortar so I soaked them in a fairly strong muriatic acid solution and it started melting the wedges! I don't know what kind of plastic.
There are some plastics that are unstable toward very high or low pH. Polycarbonate, for example, cannot take high pH for extended periods.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back