Does anyone use bleach to clean their powerheads?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bleach my powerheads every 1-2 months. I find it makes removing the brown gunk that accumulates much easier. The powerheads come out brand new, except for the coralline, which turns completely white and flakes off in the tank after a few days.

Does anyone else use bleach to clean their powerheads?

PSA: Please neutralize the chlorine before adding the powerheads back into the tank.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't your cords get real brittle and dried out? I had alot of rquipment damage when bleaching QT's regularly. Granted, that was a very high chlorine level.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't your cords get real brittle and dried out? I had alot of rquipment damage when bleaching QT's regularly. Granted, that was a very high chlorine level.
I haven’t noticed any issue with my cords. I don’t bleach it for long, and I don’t make the concentration too high.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Citric acid or vinegar for me when ever I have done it. I should do it more regularly then once a decade.
Ya, definitely no to the vinegar.

I’m interested in trying muriatic acid to clean my powerheads. I know how to safely use the chemical. I am going to try it tomorrow. :)

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's all the hate for cleaning with vinegar come from (not just you). Hasn't it been used for years? Isn't it a fairly mild acid? Doesn't it work? What am I missing?
there is evidence that vinegar has caused the magnets in the pumps to swell and cause them to stop working.

Personal I don’t know why anyone would use anything but citric acid. Super cheap and readily available and it makes everything melt right off whatever piece of equipment you’re cleaning. Even coraline algae. Plus, it’s not super harmful to our health like bleach and muriatic acid is. If a little makes it into our tanks it won’t cause any harm either. So again, I really don’t understand why people use anything else.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, definitely no to the vinegar.

I’m interested in trying muriatic acid to clean my powerheads. I know how to safely use the chemical. I am going to try it tomorrow. :)
I keep a 5gal bucket of diluted muriatic acid. KEEP COVERED. I will pour it to a new bucket with a 25 micron sock to clean it as needed. Makes cleaning pumps easier and even cheaper by save the acid. Just add a bit more if it seems weak.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is evidence that vinegar has caused the magnets in the pumps to swell and cause them to stop working.
How long would that take? I can't see any issues with an hour or two. Even recommended by some manufacturers. Sounds like user error... Would citric acid not do the same?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use a overnight soak in a diluted bleach concentration then a citric acid soak. First part breaks down all the organic crud, the second the calcarious stuff. Things like my MP guards only get bleached because I switch them out once a week, so there is no Coraline build up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's all the hate for cleaning with vinegar come from (not just you). Hasn't it been used for years? Isn't it a fairly mild acid? Doesn't it work? What am I missing?

While I've not seen any problem with it myself, I expect the issue (if real) has to do with uncharged acetic acid having some ability to penetrate some plastics. Mineral acids such as muriatic will never have any significant uncharged forms around, and so won't do anything except interact with the surface. Inorganic ions such as H+ and Cl- just wont penetrate the very hydrophobic interior of plastics.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've not seen any problem with it myself, I expect the issue (if real) has to do with uncharged acetic acid having some ability to penetrate some plastics. Mineral acids such as muriatic will never have any significant uncharged forms around, and so won't do anything except interact with the surface. Inorganic ions such as H+ and Cl- just wont penetrate the very hydrophobic interior of plastics.
How about chlorine? Would that damage powerheads similarly to vinegar?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. This was what I was trying to understand; the mechanism. I acquiesce to those more knowledgeable but my gut tells me it'd have to be soaking for an abnormally long period of time but again...what do I know. As mentioned, above, combined with elbow grease is probably a better approach than seeking a soak and pull out clean solution; perhaps that leads to longer soaks and thus problems?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have obsession with cleaning powerheads.. Organic matter, especially inside the impeller housing is harmless, moreover it acts as lubricant and reduces the risks of noise. Powerheads often "settle-in" with certain amount of organic matter and removing it risks making the imbalanced and start producing noise.

Noadays i soak my powerheads in citric acid so as to remove coraline algae growth, give it a bit of toothbrushing on the outside - but never take them apart, at least not removing the empeller from its home.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back