Does my mandarin seem to be growing?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 months ago I purchased a mandarin dragonet completely emaciated in hopes of bringing it back to health and fattening it up. I cannot tell if he is physically growing or not because I look at him every single day. But what I do know is I feed freshly hatched brine using a paulB feeder, and because of it he hasn’t decimated the pod population and there’s plenty available. Behaviorally I’ve noticed a stride for him recently. He’s done hiding and sitting all day and instead zooms around the tank not bothered by the other fish. As well I seem him actively hunting and catching pods all day. The coloration is gorgeous still as well. I know that they can take months to starve, but I hope someone can tell me if he’s on an upward trend with some before and after pics

When I got him:
IMG_6583.jpeg

IMG_6610.jpeg
IMG_6601.jpeg

Today:

IMG_7001.jpeg

IMG_7002.jpeg

IMG_6998.jpeg

Let me know if you need some better pictures to tell, but what I see is a more rounded face and cheek (if fish have those) area than before. He’s definitely still really skinny, but I just hope he’s doing well IMG_6999.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mandarin is a real slow growing fish, mines 3 years old and maybe grown and inch.

If he’s actively hunting and pecking, he’s fine, but is best to make him the only exclusive pod eater in the tank to ensure food supply.

Good luck
IMG_0236.jpeg

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mandarin is a real slow growing fish, mines 3 years old and maybe grown and inch.

If he’s actively hunting and pecking, he’s fine, but is best to make him the only exclusive pod eater in the tank to ensure food supply.

Good luck
IMG_0236.jpeg
I should’ve rephrased, does he look plumper? I know they’re slow growing but I’m more looking for if it’s starving itself or on a comeback? And yes he is the only pod eater in the tank, I purposefully did not get a wrasse as much as I wanted to so that he could. Beautiful target though that you for sharing!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should’ve rephrased, does he look plumper? I know they’re slow growing but I’m more looking for if it’s starving itself or on a comeback? And yes he is the only pod eater in the tank, I purposefully did not get a wrasse as much as I wanted to so that he could. Beautiful target though that you for sharing!
He looks way better than the first pic, which is what most look like in LFS.

The easiest fish I’ve ever kept.

May cruise the top at night and can jump.

Enjoy

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks way better than the first pic, which is what most look like in LFS.

The easiest fish I’ve ever kept.

May cruise the top at night and can jump.

Enjoy
That first picture was the first week I had it it was the only fish in the tank before I upgraded my nano

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didnt look terrible when you got him but he looks much better now. I've seen really bad ones, yours looked average.
To me it was shocking how skinny it was, online you see all the healthy mandarins and it’s a shock to see one emaciated for the first time

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it was shocking how skinny it was, online you see all the healthy mandarins and it’s a shock to see one emaciated for the first time
I've been to some sketchy lfs. Also I've been in and out of the hobby since before they were being bred so yeah I've seen some bad ones. Since I've been back the better lfs in the area are getting them from Biota or ORA so they are small but healthy and more expensive. Used to be able to get them for around $30 now they are almost always at least $90, could be inflation but I think its from the captive breeding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back