Does my royal gramma have lympho? Would like a second opinion

Kompact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all!

I suspect my royal gramma has lympho, as it has two white, raised nodules on its head that resemble cotton. In other words, it has a fluffy look to it. The royal gramma (as well as the firefish that it shares its tank with) were bought from an LFS that quarantines its fish with copper and prazipro. I didn't notice the white nodule at the LFS, but it slowly got bigger while it was in my display tank. I've had the royal gramma for 10 days now. Firefish doesn't seem to have any symptoms. Both fish are eating and swimming normally. Royal gramma is not displaying any scratching behaviour. Below are some photos of the nodule.
1.JPG

2.JPG

To rule other potential diseases such as flukes, I did a freshwater dip. Nothing fell off the royal gramma. However, the white nodule did seem to shrink, as pictured below. However, it is slowly growing again.
3.JPG

So what are y'all thoughts? Is it lympho and I have nothing to be concerned about? Or something else?

Thanks in advance :D

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what it looks like to me also, but I think it's uncommon to only see it on the body of the fish. It usually occurs on the edge of a fin first and then shows up on the body where the infected fin touches the body of the fish. Which makes me less confident in saying lympho.

@Jay Hemdal I'm sure could easily answer this question.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ yup, my sample says the ventral and pectoral fins usually, I’ve only seen it on the body when it’s pretty bad … might be one of those times waiting 48 then re-eval

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've seen it on caudal and dorsal fins, but honestly I have no idea if it's more common on certain fins.

I also have no idea what happens to them during a freshwater dip, but without the dip I don't think lympho typically goes away and comes back quickly, which I think is more common with a parasite. Again not sure how that is effected by the FW dip though.

OP
OP
K

Kompact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd for it to be developing on the body before the fins. Hope it's nothing potentially fatal
:confused:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd for it to be developing on the body before the fins. Hope it's nothing potentially fatal
:confused:
Agree with the others - usually see it on the fins first. I have seen it on the body and the mouth. Of course, royal gramma are sort of the poster child for getting Lymphocystis, so that points to it as well.

Jay

OP
OP
K

Kompact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the others - usually see it on the fins first. I have seen it on the body and the mouth. Of course, royal gramma are sort of the poster child for getting Lymphocystis, so that points to it as well.

Jay
Thank you Jay!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back