Does my tank look normal/good for being a little over month old?

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious if my tank is looking how it should at about a month and a half old. I’ve got a bunch of coralline algae which I’ve heard is good. I’m also currently battling another thing of diatoms all over the rock (I don’t know what I can really do with that besides just wait it out). My coral seems happy even though it’s only about 2 weeks old in tank and all fish are doing fine. Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

D971A537-4D54-4ED2-B331-FF4FEBD29D31.jpeg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fairly normal to me! Can you get a close up of the coralline just curious if it’s actually coralline usually takes some time and very good parameters for it to spread, it could be something else.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fairly normal to me! Can you get a close up of the coralline just curious if it’s actually coralline usually takes some time and very good parameters for it to spread, it could be something else.
I think it honestly might be Cyanobacteria. I got another 425 gph powerhead coming for more water flow and I’m gonna do a water change and try to scrub off most of the algae

D0800245-7CB7-42B4-AB00-7EA3F1518BB1.jpeg A9846B82-CA26-4B2D-B375-E124D3CF3564.jpeg

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your clean up crew? You could judt throw a couple snails in after the water change and they help as well
I’ve got 4 blue legged hermit crabs, 2 turbo snails, 3 cerith snails, 3 astraea snails, and 1 emerald crab

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks about right for a little over 1 month.

That looks like cyno but you have to go through the ugly stages!

What test kits do you have and are you testing phos yet?

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks about right for a little over 1 month.

That looks like cyno but you have to go through the ugly stages!

What test kits do you have and are you testing phos yet?
I only have api saltwater kit for nitrites, nitrates, ph and ammonia. What other test kits should I have? And what numbers should I look for in another test that are good. Big noob here lol

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only have api saltwater kit for nitrites, nitrates, ph and ammonia. What other test kits should I have? And what numbers should I look for in another test that are good. Big noob here lol
No worries we were all noobs at one point

The big 5 to test for after you cycle are...in no specific order and ypu wil find variations on levels depending on what corals you keep.

Alkalinity should be 7-12dkh
Calcium should be 400-450
Magnesium 1250-1400
Phosphate .02-.2
Nitrate 2-30 some run higher

Hannah are really good but more expensive than others to start at around 50 per unit. But read out actual numbers..
Salifert Good price and decent results but a color chart.
Giessmann a little higher priced than salifert but I think it reads a little better than salifert. The color charts can be hard to tell sometimes. This is why I ended up using hannah

Then there's the apex trident which is automated ;)

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
API is fine for nitrites and ammonia in the initial stages. Once you're fully cycled with 00 ammonia and 00 nitrites, look into Salifert for nitrate, alkalinity, magnesium, calcium, and pH. Salifert is very beginner friendly and pretty good quality. If you're a techie, Hanna is good to look into as well.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is all those numbers read out in ppm? And thank you for the help!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back