Does someone who has had reef tank success want to be my reef tank mentor?

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Does someone who has had reef tank success want to be my reef tank mentor? I think if one more thing dies in my reef tank I am going to throw up. I will post pictures weekly and test results and we can work together to make sure my reef tank is going good?!

First of all meet Aayu- Name Meaning (Long Life) I plan on keeping her alive for a long time. I have had her for two months and her health is really good.

Aayu.jpg

This is my reef tank.

ReefTank1.jpg

I have 2 clownfish, A starfish, 2 crabs, and 5 Anemones as of right now. Here is a picture of some of my anemones from the side. (The three that look good and healthy.)

Anemones.jpg

Three of my anemones are doing good. Two I am having problems with them shrinking in size, can someone please help with this? Here is a picture of the two that have shrunk in size.

Anemones2.jpg

I will post pictures of new things if I get them in my reef tank and we can talk about how to successfully keep them alive and I will post pictures of them as time goes on also.

Hopefully someone can help with this.

Last edited:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am too new to be your mentor, but I know that your Salinity is too low. 1.024-1.026 is ideal. Also 0 PO4 isn't good but maybe you don't have an accurate enough test to catch the really low numbers. What are you testing with? Hanna Ultra Low Phosphate test is the one most use to make sure their phosphates aren't at absolute zero.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy, I'd be happy to work with you as a mentor if you want.

I've been in the hobby for 15+years, I've had as many as 4 tanks running at one time 180g DT mixed reef, 75g DT anemone tank, 65g shallow reef with all local wild caught livestock and a 25g frag tank. Today I'm downsized to a 40g DT full of zoas and Rock Flower Anemones. I love how they all fluoresce under blue leds in the morning and evening. I also have a 16g spare tank I use for a wide variety of things like being a frag tank, holding tank for the odd wild caught critter I may bring home or frag or anemone I might buy that I don't have room for in the 40g DT, and overflow tank for things I have to pull out of the 40g DT. BTW, just so you know, I run my system with as few chemicals as is reasonable. I have a reactor that I haven't used in years as well as carbon, GFO and phosphate removal products for the reactor. If I needed them, I have them, but I only would consider using them if seriously needed. I run a 40g sump/refugium that is split about 70% fuge and 30% sump. I run a filter sock for water going from the DT to the fuge and my skimmer and return pump are in the sump side. My fuge has a mix of chaeto and caulerpa macro algae. The 20g tank under the DT is just a reservoir for the auto-top-off system.

The 40g has been running almost 2 years now. I only have 6 fish currently, but they aren't my primary interest. Anemones in general and Rock Flower Anemones in particular are my #1 interest. And a close 2nd are any zoas that fluoresce well under blue leds. I do have a few softies, lps and sps corals as well. The little 16g tank just has a HOB filter, an in tank Tunze skimmer (I won here at R2R) and 2 small wavemakers. There isn't much in there currently, 2 RFA's, 2 mini-maxi anemoners, 1 small RBTA, a handful of frags (mostly zoas) and a clump of red macro algae I brought home from the beach about 8 months ago. Oh, and 1 small snail that has been in there since I set it up about a year ago. One last point, the 40g cube, the 16g spare tank and the 40g sump/refugium were all DIY builds. Over the years I've made 7 tanks and the only tank failure I've ever had was the 180g tank that was a manufactured tank!

DSCN0788.JPG

DSCN0790.JPG

So a couple of questions for you:

1) Do you want to give me a shot at being your mentor? You can say no, it won't hurt my feelings.

2) Do you want to do this here in the open forum so we might elicit help and comments from other reefers? Or would you rather go off line and do it by private messaging here at R2R or even by email? Or we can do both. Keep an open thread here and if you ever want to ask about something you'd rather keep private, we can do that offline.

3) Tell me a bit about your experience in the hobby, what you want in the way of a reef tank and ell me the basics about your equipment and current water parameters.

One last point, I'd consider removing the glass cover off the tank and get a screen cover if you feel you really need one. Even with a skimmer, the vast majority of oxygen that gets into the water is done at the water surface in exchange with the air. The glass cover interferes with that exchange. It also helps if there is some (not much, but some) water motion at the surface.

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my current water parameters.
ReefTankParameters.jpg
First I’d get your salinity up, simple as using a refractometer and doing a water change with a quality salt. Minimum for clownfish would be about 1.021. But since you have an anemone, you’d probably have better health out of it at about 1.024 or so. You don’t have corals (it seems, so no need to go as high as 1.026).

Question: do you mix your own saltwater?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.. I'm sure I have not said that to you yet.

Slowly raise your SG. I keep mine at 1.025 to 1.026. you are at a point where the fish can tolerate it, but nothing else will survive.

I have an anemone dominant tank. Believe me.. they are finicky about water parameters.

How long have you had your tank set up?

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you have many people here to help you, but it will be good to take one person and use their advice. Otherwise you could get different opinions(all of which could be good.) I agree @Ron Reefman would be great. I'm not going to give any advice and let him guide you. Good luck!

patrick.gif

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been in the hobby for 15+years, I've had as many as 4 tanks running at one time 180g DT mixed reef, 75g DT anemone tank, 65g shallow reef with all local wild caught livestock and a 25g frag tank. Today I'm downsized to a 40g DT full of zoas and Rock Flower Anemones. I love how they all fluoresce under blue leds in the morning and evening. I also have a 16g spare tank I use for a wide variety of things like being a frag tank, holding tank for the odd wild caught critter I may bring home or frag or anemone I might buy that I don't have room for in the 40g DT, and overflow tank for things I have to pull out of the 40g DT. BTW, just so you know, I run my system with as few chemicals as is reasonable. I have a reactor that I haven't used in years as well as carbon, GFO and phosphate removal products for the reactor. If I needed them, I have them, but I only would consider using them if seriously needed. I run a 40g sump/refugium that is split about 70% fuge and 30% sump. I run a filter sock for water going from the DT to the fuge and my skimmer and return pump are in the sump side. My fuge has a mix of chaeto and caulerpa macro algae. The 20g tank under the DT is just a reservoir for the auto-top-off system.

The 40g has been running almost 2 years now. I only have 6 fish currently, but they aren't my primary interest. Anemones in general and Rock Flower Anemones in particular are my #1 interest. And a close 2nd are any zoas that fluoresce well under blue leds. I do have a few softies, lps and sps corals as well. The little 16g tank just has a HOB filter, an in tank Tunze skimmer (I won here at R2R) and 2 small wavemakers. There isn't much in there currently, 2 RFA's, 2 mini-maxi anemoners, 1 small RBTA, a handful of frags (mostly zoas) and a clump of red macro algae I brought home from the beach about 8 months ago. Oh, and 1 small snail that has been in there since I set it up about a year ago. One last point, the 40g cube, the 16g spare tank and the 40g sump/refugium were all DIY builds. Over the years I've made 7 tanks and the only tank failure I've ever had was the 180g tank that was a manufactured tank!

DSCN0788.JPG

DSCN0790.JPG

1) Do you want to give me a shot at being your mentor? You can say no, it won't hurt my feelings.

2) Do you want to do this here in the open forum so we might elicit help and comments from other reefers? Or would you rather go off line and do it by private messaging here at R2R or even by email? Or we can do both. Keep an open thread here and if you ever want to ask about something you'd rather keep private, we can do that offline.

3) Tell me a bit about your experience in the hobby, what you want in the way of a reef tank and ell me the basics about your equipment and current water parameters.

One last point, I'd consider removing the glass cover off the tank and get a screen cover if you feel you really need one. Even with a skimmer, the vast majority of oxygen that gets into the water is done at the water surface in exchange with the air. The glass cover interferes with that exchange. It also helps if there is some (not much, but some) water motion at the surface.
This guy right here^ I dont think you'll find a better mentor ;)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeremy Lain - I'm not sure if you have decided on a mentor yet. Other than seeing posts, I also do not know @Ron Reefman but will say that, based on the endorsements for him by other members I do know and respect, you'd be a smart man to select him.

Regardless of who you choose, I hope you select someone good for you! Good luck!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeremy Lain - I'm not sure if you have decided on a mentor yet. Other than seeing posts, I also do not know @Ron Reefman but will say that, based on the endorsements for him by other members I do know and respect, you'd be a smart man to select him.

Regardless of who you choose, I hope you select someone good for you! Good luck!

I'm fairly new to the Reef Squad and I hope over time I hope I will earn your respect as well.
I haven't heard anything from Jeremy yet (Sat 5/18).

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to the Reef Squad and I hope over time I hope I will earn your respect as well.
I haven't heard anything from Jeremy yet (Sat 5/18).

Good to meet you, Ron!

I tagged Jeremy in my post because I noticed he went MIA after posting his parameters and also hasn't "liked" any of the posts. Hopefully, he'll pop his head up today!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to meet you, Ron!

I tagged Jeremy in my post because I noticed he went MIA after posting his parameters and also hasn't "liked" any of the posts. Hopefully, he'll pop his head up today!

I sent him a private message. He was around yesterday but didn't post to this thread?

I told him if I wasn't the guy he wants, no harm, no foul.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've seen that Jeremy has been here on R2R several times recently and he hasn't replied to this thread or to the private message I sent him. So I guess I consider myself as available as a mentor! Thanks to the people who have offered the kind comments about my effort to help out. It's honestly because I know how frustrating and confusing this hobby can be to both newbies and even to some of us who have been around a long time.

I've just started a series of 'articles' here at R2R. The link is to the first 'chapter' and I'll be doing many more with more specific info about various areas like chemistry, equipment and more. Oh, BTW, I'd appreciate any feedback or comments you may have (both good, bad and constructive are all welcome)!

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/checklist-before-you-start-your-first-saltwater-aquarium.676/

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSCN0788.JPG

DSCN0790.JPG

This is awesome right here. This is what gives this hobby a good name. You da man Ron!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back