Does this bubble tip anemone look healthy ?

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’m new to saltwater fish keeping and after about 2 1/2 months on my first tank I thought it was time to add my favourite thing in the world being an Tri colour bubble tip anemone for my clowns to host in.

I’m well aware of the issues people have with them moving and stinging corals however I’m happy with those issues.

I’ve had my anemone about 1 week and he has moved around slightly the first day and has been in the same spot since. I have fed him small shots of mysis shrimp twice and both times it has eaten it fully.

I have noticed at night that he will retreat to almost 20% of his size so that he pulls close to the rock abs under it slightly. Is this normal behaviour ?

additionally does he look healthy in the images below ?

I note that there is some green hair algae which I have been combating since day one however it is now starting to turn white and reduce. I assume this is due to the No3po4 and rowaphos I’ve been using for 2 weeks and the careful feeding with manual removal of long strands where possible.

many thanks in advance.

74B7C5A6-538C-4197-9B7B-054A69DA5A03.jpeg 48AAF0EE-39AA-4198-9D29-3371E8C01A14.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks good to me. Assure it has moderate light (not to bright or dim) and moderate flow. Feed 2-3X weekly with mysis shrimp or small plankton. Buuble tips are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole. Yes, getting caught in a power head is a concern but rarely occurs.
The most important thing you’ll need to take care of before you bring your anemone home is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place a Bubble Tip Anemone into a tank you just set up.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the closed environment cycle for a few months. This ensures that conditions are stable and safe. Bubble Tip Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quakity test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: Between 77°F and 82°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.4
  • Water hardness: 8 to 12 dKH
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
When you first introduced the anemone to the tank, you should have turned down any pumps allowing the anemone to get settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home. Mentioned was lighting. If the new nem starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Bubble Tip Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care as they need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic meaning that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body which are symbiotic microorganisms they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. Assure it has moderate light (not to bright or dim) and moderate flow. Feed 2-3X weekly with mysis shrimp or small plankton. Buuble tips are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole. Yes, getting caught in a power head is a concern but rarely occurs.
The most important thing you’ll need to take care of before you bring your anemone home is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place a Bubble Tip Anemone into a tank you just set up.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the closed environment cycle for a few months. This ensures that conditions are stable and safe. Bubble Tip Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quakity test kit and Not API either.
  • Water temperature: Between 77°F and 82°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • Nitrate < .5
When you first introduced the anemone to the tank, you should have turned down any pumps allowing the anemone to get settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home. Mentioned was lighting. If the new nem starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Bubble Tip Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care as they need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic meaning that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body which are symbiotic microorganisms they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
Which site did you copy/paste this from?

MEPAWN35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Nitrate < .5
Looks healthy to me, and very well written post here!

OP
OP
S

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what he does at night time my lights have been off for 10 minutes. Is this normal ? Should I be concerned ?
All the photos in this post were from today

Attachments

• B1ECF597-92B7-4AB8-914F-602A17661D55.jpeg
    B1ECF597-92B7-4AB8-914F-602A17661D55.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 60

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what he does at night time my lights have been off for 10 minutes. Is this normal ? Should I be concerned ?
All the photos in this post were from today
That's normal, my rainbow BTA does the same every night. Usually leaves a tentacle or two sticking out. Looks goofy!

Morphinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 if you're going to copy/paste information from websites you could at least cite your source. This seems to be an exact copy of aquariumsource.com's Bubble Tip Anemone 101 post. Link here: https://www.aquariumsource.com/bubble-tip-anemone/
What does it matter where the info came from? If it’s good knowledgeable information that helps another reefer than who cares? All information in the world comes from another source at one point or another. Seems like your trying to call out another person for no reason..

EDIT: That being said, another person took time out of their day to research, find and share that information with another person for no benefit to themselves. We should be thanking that person not nitpicking where they might’ve gotten the write up. ESPECIALLY if your not the OP.

Last edited:

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does it matter where the info came from? If it’s good knowledgeable information that helps another reefer than who cares? All information in the world comes from another source at one point or another. Seems like your trying to call out another person for no reason..
It does matter, because someone already did the work and now someone else copy/pastes it and passes it off as their own. It also matters because there are some really good sources of information, and a TON of not-so-great sources. The article that was copied here falls into the latter category. People don't come here to have someone google something for them, they come here assuming there are hobbyists who are knowledgeable and are trying to help. It absolutely matters if we want newer reefers to be successful. Copy/pasting things you've found on the internet is lazy and disingenuous.

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Nitrate < .5
Very good explanation. Need to keep this mind.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back