Does this light work for a refuge?

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Currently trying to use this light on its blue setting to grow chaetomorpha. Already had the light so I figured its worth a shot and fits nicely mounted on the sump but I see a lot of red light spectrum in refuge lights so not sure if its a necessity or just better for growing. I know its better in general just trying to hold out for an upgrade and if it works for now ill save for a better light. If it grows with just the blue light I'm fine with it until I upgrade but if it needs that red spectrum in the 660 range to grow at all I have a cheaper light in mind. Open to hearing personal experience with cheap or alternative lights for a refuge and would prefer to avoid full spectrum since its in my bedroom and exposed. (Personally i think the blue is pleasant so i don't mind that.)

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a cheap (75 AED =19 USD), standard 200 Watt outdoor LED light I got from a Chinese lighting shop. It works really well.
I started off with a small handful of assorted macros from the beach, they grew like wildfire under this light. I had to raise the light up a bit as the tips of the gracerlia started to bleach a little. Picture of macros in the white bucket was a typical harvest size every 5 - 7 days or so.
light 200W.jpg
Macro 1 (2).jpg
Macro 2 (2).jpg
Macro 3 (2).jpg
Macro harvest1.jpg

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a cheap (75 AED =19 USD), standard 200 Watt outdoor LED light I got from a Chinese lighting shop. It works really well.
I started off with a small handful of assorted macros from the beach, they grew like wildfire under this light. I had to raise the light up a bit as the tips of the gracerlia started to bleach a little. Picture of macros in the white bucket was a typical harvest size every 5 - 7 days or so.
light 200W.jpg
Macro 1 (2).jpg
Macro 2 (2).jpg
Macro 3 (2).jpg
Macro harvest1.jpg
dang that's pretty impressive. Wanna lend me some? lol

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Currently trying to use this light on its blue setting to grow chaetomorpha. Already had the light so I figured its worth a shot and fits nicely mounted on the sump but I see a lot of red light spectrum in refuge lights so not sure if its a necessity or just better for growing. I know its better in general just trying to hold out for an upgrade and if it works for now ill save for a better light. If it grows with just the blue light I'm fine with it until I upgrade but if it needs that red spectrum in the 660 range to grow at all I have a cheaper light in mind. Open to hearing personal experience with cheap or alternative lights for a refuge and would prefer to avoid full spectrum since its in my bedroom and exposed. (Personally i think the blue is pleasant so i don't mind that.)

This is the cheap light i meant too btw

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha if you come and get it
lol but it does look great. And how does that gracerlia work for you in removing the nitrates and phosphates? I wanted to do something more exciting and interesting to look at than chaeto but i had decided to go with what has the most notes and such online to make a simple to learn. Have you tried growing any other macros?

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol but it does look great. And how does that gracerlia work for you in removing the nitrates and phosphates? I wanted to do something more exciting and interesting to look at than chaeto but i had decided to go with what has the most notes and such online to make a simple to learn. Have you tried growing any other macros?
The Gracelaria seems to work quite well, my nitrates are always low (within 10 - 20ppm) considering during this time I kept 7 scats and 5 monos in a 40 gal breeder and feeding rather heavily. (I have since changed the stocking totally and got a much larger aquarium for said new stocking.

Phosphates I dont know as I have never measured these.

I also have never kept any other macros besides what you see the in the pictures, other than what I can gather from the beach here which is mostly all different species of gracelaria and caulerpa. And I dont want the caulerpa in my system so I stick to gracelaria.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back