Does this wrasse look like he died from Prazipro complications, bacterial infection, or velvet?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fairy wrasse died in the DT today. I did round two of prazi for suspected flukes two days ago. Prazipro seemed to coincide with a strong shift in fish behavior.

I put carbon back online this morning. A number of fish that were especially skittish are now back out and nibbling.

All of the fish are accounted for except the fairy wrasse in the photo.

I recently went about acquiring CP and should have it in hand in a couple of days.

I dropped a heater in a bucket of RODI to prep for FW dips for temporary relief. I'm going to start pulling fish out, dipping them, and then placing them in QT with H2O2 to buy time until CP arrives (hopefully Saturday).

Does this wrasse look like a victim of a bacterial issue that would necessitate specific antibiotics? Will metroplex suffice?

20200715_152710.jpg

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant really tell from the photo what fish behavior prompted you to dose prazi?

Twitching in species known to be susceptible to flukes (wrasses, and angelfish), and suspected cross contamination with a QT housing a fish that was FW dipped with results that suggested flukes to a relative novice.

First dose of prazi triggered intense spasms in the angelfish and a kole tang. Wrasses hid when the prazi went in, so I didn't witness them shaking as one expects from fluke infested fish.

No tell tale signs of velvet on the fish that perished in QT. The fish was suffering from a bacterial infection secondary to one or more parasites.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back